Rickie Has A Bad Foot Infection

Back to not eating. Tried everything that worked (or didn't) yesterday. Tried scrambled eggs. Nada. Still willing to eat some roasted chicken - the stash in the freezer is running low so I'll cook another today and also make broth in case he'll eat food with that on it.

His mobility is comparable to last night, which is good. Very loose stools, no doubt the meds / dietary changes.

Much more interested in licking - he'll need a sock on which is too bad - I was trying to keep it open during the day. Socks are thin though, so not bad and better than licking.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

Sounds like he is on the mend. I am pretty sure the meds are why he isn't eating.

You try the Pepcid AC, about 30 minutes prior to feeding him?

If you need thicker socks, Wal-Mart and the dollar stores have toddler tube sox, which I have, and they are pretty thick and padded.

Good luck, and this too, will pass :-))

Guest Flysmom

Hoping that your regular vet can figure out what is going on with Rickies paw. What a Rollercoaster ride for you! I feel for you!

You try the Pepcid AC, about 30 minutes prior to feeding him?

I did. Disappointing because I was sure that's what did the trick last night - he ate then without any coercion at all.

In reading about the antibiotics he's on, I found out that some antacids and other meds can block Baytril. These include Sulcrafate as well as "Other supplements or medications which have zinc, iron, magnesium, or aluminum in them..."

I don't know what famotidine is. Does anyone know enough about drug chemistry to know if there might be an interaction here? I will also ask my vet today.

Pretty sure you can give famotidine with Baytril but yeah, best to ask your vet. Famotidine is a bit different from your standard antacid.

You might ask your vet about Reglan (metaclopromide) as well. For us, famotidine usually works better, but that's just us.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11
Pretty sure you can give famotidine with Baytril but yeah, best to ask your vet. Famotidine is a bit different from your standard antacid.

You might ask your vet about Reglan (metaclopromide) as well. For us, famotidine usually works better, but that's just us.

I would ask you vet about the interactions, as I don't know enough about pharmacology make that call. I would THINK it would be okay, but I'd give the vet a quick call. Good Luck!

Cerenia is also a great drug for stomach upset. I had excellent results with Misty using it

Yes, it IS an excellent drug for the stomach. MIGHT just be the ticket :-))

With carafate and pepcid, etc, they should be given at least 2 hours from the antibiotic. I try to give the carafate mid day, between the two doses of atb. If you are giving the metacam, it can upset the stomach like any other NSAID. Unless he needs it, I wouldn't give it. Tramadol can possibly do the same.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

pepcid, etc, they should be given at least 2 hours from the antibiotic.

Pepcid is actually a bit different from many other stomach meds. Shouldn't cause problems with the antibiotic. Pepcid contains no metal cations, whereas carafate does. It's the metals that react with Baytril, per the Baytril product insert.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Back from the vet's. He was pleased with the improvement in Rickie's foot vs. the report from the e-vet. He recommended we drop the Tramadol and the Baytril and stay on the Clindamycin and Metacam. Though he believes the Clindamycin has a role in Rickie's poor appetite, he thinks removing one antibiotic and the sedative effect of the Tramadol may help. So that's what we'll do. He wasn't ready to prescribe anything for Rickie's stomach since Rickie's weight is still holding, but is fine with the Pepcid. It sounds like appetite stimulants would also be an option, but not yet.

The "blister" is the skin on the toe starting to slough off, and you can see that more clearly now as a larger area is affected. It is indeed part of the healing process. It looks pretty sore and we will continue the epsom salt soaks and gentle cleaning.

Arlie goes in on Thursday for an unrelated reason, and so I can re-open any of the above with him then if warranted. For now I am just hoping Rickie will eat tonight.

Guest Flysmom

Sounds positive!!! Does the vet have any clues why his foot started to swell? Crossing fingers and paws that he will eat for you tonight!!

Does the vet have any clues why his foot started to swell?

No clue. My theory is that because we've had an extended garbage strike here (since June 22) there is a lot more nasty bacteria floating around, and somehow Rickie picked some up. Vet said they'd had a very similar case to Rickie's at the clinic this week, and this was his thinking as well.

It would only take a pin-prick injury with a contaminated object to inject the bacteria into his foot.

Thankfully, a strike settlement has been reached and we should be back to normal city services some time next week.

Note: this is not to say there is garbage all over the place - people have been variously storing it, getting private services to pickup, or hauling it to temporary dumpsites in nearby parks :puke But the park dumpsites are horrible, some buildings have temporary dumpsters that are leaking, etc., so just in general, the city is much dirtier, even if you can't see it, than usual.

Guest Flysmom
Does the vet have any clues why his foot started to swell?

No clue. My theory is that because we've had an extended garbage strike here (since June 22) there is a lot more nasty bacteria floating around, and somehow Rickie picked some up. Vet said they'd had a very similar case to Rickie's at the clinic this week, and this was his thinking as well.

It would only take a pin-prick injury with a contaminated object to inject the bacteria into his foot.

Thankfully, a strike settlement has been reached and we should be back to normal city services some time next week.

Note: this is not to say there is garbage all over the place - people have been variously storing it, getting private services to pickup, or hauling it to temporary dumpsites in nearby parks :puke But the park dumpsites are horrible, some buildings have temporary dumpsters that are leaking, etc., so just in general, the city is much dirtier, even if you can't see it, than usual.

Glad that the Garbage is getting picked up again. I am also glad that it was possibly 'only' bacteria and not something worse. I only say 'only' because it still is pretty bad for the poor guy and you!! We will keep our fingers and paws crossed that he feels better really, really soon!

Good update!

I understand Tramadol can be hard on the appetite too, so removing it might help.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

3/4 of his normal kibble down the hatch; pill down in liverwurst, no problem. We are a happy household tonight.

Thank you for asking and to Ekko for beaming "eat your dinner" thoughts to Rickie!

Oh that's great Mary, I'm so glad to hear this! And yes, Ekko is too

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Quick update. The swelling is almost gone, and for the first time since this started, Rickie hopped up onto the bed during the wee hours to cuddle up for the rest of the night. Made my heart glad!

Almost afraid to say it "out loud" but it looks like he's turned the corner - we'll now depend on the remaining meds to make sure this nasty thing really "gets gone" and continue to soak and clean his paw until the skin on his toe heals and the remaining swelling is gone.

We need him moving again to rebuild muscle (which he has been losing even in this short time). Under normal conditions, in addition to lots of walking he is on a maintenance program at the canine wellness centre where he gets laser treatments and time on the underwater treadmill (we were just starting to get him used to higher water as a transition to the actual swimming pool). When he's ready we'll step up his sessions to get him back into shape.

Thank you again for your advice, support and well wishes - they all helped in practical and intangible ways.

Edited by Rickiesmom