Rickie Has A Bad Foot Infection

Guest Flysmom
Sending positive thoughts that the swelling will go down and that Rickie feels better soon! Having your Greyhound start to limp and his/her paw start to swell is a horribel feeling! Every Greyhound is important!!

Thank you for the good thoughts. In the interest of full disclosure, Rickie is a whippet - should have mentioned that - I've posted about him so often that sometimes I forget.

Well, every Whippet is important!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Rickie doing this morning?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FoxNPeggysMom

Sending prayers for Rickie, hoping those little toots are feeling better this morning. As a mom of a dog with an autoimmune disorder that attacks the feet, I know how aweful infected toes can be! I hope Rickie is back on his feet soon!

:broke:broke:broke:hope

The foot has stopped weeping (or virtually, very little staining on the overnight sock compared to the night before). There is still swelling up to his carpus and though not as bad as at the peak, the sore foot is a good 50 or more percent bigger than the other. I was hoping the swelling would be less this morning - perhaps I am expecting too much of the antibiotics too quickly. Have a call into my vet to discuss and will post an update after we have spoken. Thank you for you ongoing prayers and good thoughts for Rickie, it doesn't feel like we are clearly out of the woods yet.

Fingers crossed that the abx are working and foot continues to go down. Feet / lower legs can sometimes take awhile to unswell -- they're at the low point of gravity, and it takes the body awhile to reabsorb fluid in those locations.

If the pepcid (generic = famotidine) isn't helping enough with his tummy, a piece of peanutbutter toast might go down easily enough to cushion all those meds ......

Do we have pictures of Rickie anywhere? Have a great fondness for whippets and miss our angel Rocco.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom thanks - what you say about being the low point, gravity and fluids makes a lot of sense. Here is a picture of my little man a few months back, resting comfortably on his big sister Arlie's blanket. Sorry about the wires - no photoshop. (The different skin on his back leg is a skin flap from his stomach as a result of a cancer surgery around this time last year.)

RickieonArliesblanket.jpg

Editing to add this gratuitous picture from a couple of years ago - still one of my favourites - Rickie and Arlie helping to prepare dishes for the dishwasher.

Nofoodaggression.jpg

Edited by Rickiesmom

What a doll! He has that perfect "feed me" expression, doesn't he? :wub:

Really hoping The Foot is done causing problems soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest goofydog

Just seeing this Mary and hoping Rickie is doing better this evening. The pics of Rickie and Arlie are great. Rickie, stop scaring your momma.

Glad to hear he is improving. He is probably my favourite whippet.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

What an adorable face! Hoping and praying that Rickie is on the road to recovery.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

All day Rickie has been unwilling to eat almost anything (Arlie and I have probably each gained 5 lbs - we split the goodies he wouldn't touch). But tonight he finally ate most of dinner - partly the Pepcid, partly it's late so he's hungry, and partly he's decided he likes Arlie's food (fish-based) better than his own (chicken-based). Fine with me.

Our pottying MO has been - I carry him to the back of the yard, set him down, and he wanders with me close by for balance as needed. Just now once he'd done his business he returned to the house without help - the steadiest he's been since Friday. So things are definitely improving in spite of the remaining swelling and bruising.

We see the vet tomorrow afternoon.

Thank you for your continued prayers and well wishes, I am sure they are helping Rickie and certainly have helped me through the scary and low moments.

This morning Rickie's foot is still swollen - not much change from yesterday, but he has a new lesion on one side of the bad toe near the pad. It wept quite a bit overnight, judging from the sock. It looks sort of like a blister but that doesn't seem likely based on where it is. I'll give the foot a good epsom salts soak again today and we see the vet at 3PM. For now I've carried him down to his bed in the kitchen where I can keep an eye on him and give him the next round of meds shortly.

The e-vet had said that if anything like this developed we should probably culture but I'll know more after we see the regular vet. Certainly Rickie was feeling better late yesterday. It's a bit hard to tell this morning - he's sleeping right now so I won't be able to gauge his balance and willingness to bear weight until a little later when we go out.

:(

Hoping this is just part of the healing process .........