Prayers For Mr. Baby

Lots of gentle hugs and healing thoughts for Mr. Baby (that is THE GREATEST NAME - EVER!!!). He's so handsome, too. I've read, here on GT I believe, that you can use an extra large bath towel as a sling to help them get in and out of the car until you are able to get something that is more suitable and easier to use.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

How is Mr. Baby this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How is Mr. Baby this morning?

I'm heading to the vet's in a few minutes. They are doing x-rays this morning, and I'm hoping they get to it fairly early. Mondays are crazy there. Diane e-mailed me a name of a vet close to Wichita that does acupuncture, so I'll be talking to my vet about that. I'll update when I know something more. Thank you all so much for your replies and suggestions!

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest BlueCrab

A log carrier (the things you bring firewood into the house with) also make handy dog-slings until you can order something better. Same idea as the beach towel mentioned above, but they usually have handles which make them a bit easier to maneuver.

We had a German Shepherd who had - unknown to us - a degenative disk problem. It was earlier misdiagnosed as "probably arthritic in nature". One weekend lost complete use of hind end. We did MRI and the scans looked terrible. Had a very good surgeon in Northern Virginia perform surgery where the area was opened up and the offending disk tissue was cleaned out. Probably hurt me more than it hurt the dog - both wallet wise and I just hated the idea of putting him thru it. But he turned out like a new man so I was glad we had it done.

Northern Virginia certainly isn't local for you, but if you'd like to talk to this surgeon, PM me and I'll try to track down his info. Name was Bill Bush, but I don't have any of the info handy.

Prayers that it all works out ok!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Sending prayers for Baby! My Spencer went through the exact same thing. Knuckling under and very wobbly and would fall down. With Spencer he has a compressed disc in his neck which affects his back legs - mostly his left leg. He was on Prednisone for a while to get the inflamation down and then it's just up and down from there. He has good days and bad days. The one thing I'm most grateful for is that he is not in any kind of pain. I have to lift him into and out of my SUV which really hurts my back but I have no one to help me. I have a ramp but he can't manuever it. I had Spencer on Rimadyl which helps as well after the initial course of Prednisone. You might look into a harness with a handle on top. I have one for Spencer and have used it only a few time but it helps a lot with the lifting and stabalizing. Anyway it's manageable but frustrating because it won't ever go away completely.

Sending prayers for Baby! My Spencer went through the exact same thing. Knuckling under and very wobbly and would fall down. With Spencer he has a compressed disc in his neck which affects his back legs - mostly his left leg. He was on Prednisone for a while to get the inflamation down and then it's just up and down from there. He has good days and bad days. The one thing I'm most grateful for is that he is not in any kind of pain. I have to lift him into and out of my SUV which really hurts my back but I have no one to help me. I have a ramp but he can't manuever it. I had Spencer on Rimadyl which helps as well after the initial course of Prednisone. You might look into a harness with a handle on top. I have one for Spencer and have used it only a few time but it helps a lot with the lifting and stabalizing. Anyway it's manageable but frustrating because it won't ever go away completely.

Donna, it sounds like we're in the same boat. Wish we lived closer to help each other out. Spencer's symptoms sound exactly like Baby's. i"ll add an update in the first post. Thanks so much.

Pat

I just got back from the vet, and I feel a little better. The vet thinks it's something in his neck, and she said he was a little more stable when they got him up this morning. His back leg is still bad, but he was able to stand on his own for a short time. Nothing showed up on the x-rays. They're going to keep him for a couple of more days and we'll go from there. Diane, I asked my vet about the name you gave me (she used to work at a practice in Andover), and she had heard of him. Also, she said there was a vet in Park City (close to where the track used to be) who does chiropractic and physical therapy. That's the vet that Kay takes her dogs to, so I know first hand about her. I did order a Bottoms Up Leash and had it sent Next Day, so that should be here tomorrow. I told the vet I would bring it to them and they could use it with Baby. So, we'll just take it one day at a time. I really hate to leave him there, but know it's for the best. Thanks again for everybody's help and prayers.

Donna, it sounds like we're in the same boat. Wish we lived closer to help each other out. Spencer's symptoms sound exactly like Baby's. i"ll add an update in the first post. Thanks so much.

Pat

I couldn't add anything to the first post, so my update is on page three.

Guest jerrybird

I hope Mr. Baby continues to improve for you. I think that you are right to leave him at the vets too. He's a beautiful guy and we wish him all the best.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Pat

Hi Pat - that's what I was thinking too that Spencer and Baby are going through the same thing. I had Spencer's back and hips legs xrayed but they didn't show anything until I asked the vet to do a full body xray and he discovered the compressed discs up near his shoulders. Make sure your vet xrays all along the spine up to and including the neck.