Babesiosis

Guest luvdogs

Guest luvdogs

Hi everyone; we have just met the potential dog that we may decide to adopt. He is lovely, but when we checked out his medical history with the adoption agency we were told that he has tested positive for babesiosis. I have been purusing the internet finding out all about this, it looks like it can be pretty scary and potentially costly if the dog becomes ill from it. Things like liver and kidney failure seem to occur if the illness is acute. Now I am a bit nervous, I know that you cannot predict the future a dogs health, but I want to make sure we are getting a healthy animal. Anything else I should be asking before we go ahead and adopt him? anybody with experience with this either positive or negative? I need to feel 100% comfortable with this before I can go ahead and sign on the dotted line. Thanks!

Guest Energy11

ALL of mine, but Curfew, have positve titers for Babesia. Just have your vet draw blood and have him/her do a Babesia PCR, which tells you, 1) if they were just exposed to the disease, OR, 2) it is not active in them at all! (the PCR) All of mine who tested "Babesia Positive," had Negative PCRs! :-))) GoodLuck..., but there IS a way to be SURE! The PCR!

Guest ThunderPaws

My little foster girl will be treated for Babesia next week, two rounds of Imizol, it's very painful and can have severe side effects. We are hoping for the best. :(

Both mine tested positive and were treated with Imizol. The truth is, it is a nasty drug with some negative immediate side effects - nausea, etc. Lasts a couple hours so the vet will keep the dog for a short period for observation after the injection. The second injection is due 2 weeks after the first.

There is much discussion as to whether it should be given intramuscularly or just under the skin. Both mine had it IM in the lumbar region. One of my boys was part of the 1% out there that can develop a short term complication - a sterile abscess, which can be cleared up with antibiotics (if it happens).

I don't mean to paint a negative picture about the treatment at all - I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. The 2 injetcions are worth saving a potential future flare up. I definitely would NOT avoid a pup just because of the babesia titer. When you have a great match, this is easy to overcome!! Good luck!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

How much were the shots?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest boondog

I agree with Jenn8 about talking to the group. If the group tests for TBDs they will probably treat him, also. If the dog is properly treated with imizol, there should be no future problems. Best of luck with your adoption!

Guest mandm
How much were the shots?

I treated my greyhound about 3 years ago. The vet never treated with Imizol and wasn't sure what to charge me. So I was charged $30 per shot, to cover the $60 vial of Imizol.

To Luvdogs -- if your greyhound has already been diagnosed and treated, then the problem has been resolved. If the dog tested positive, but was not treated, then it would be something that you would probably want to monitor. It doesn't seem like a big problem either way.

I think much of the problem with TBD is when it goes undetected and untreated, which is not the case for this greyhound.

ETA: When you are looking for info on Babesia, make sure you research Babesia CANIS, which affects greyhounds, not Babesia GIBSONI, which affects pitbulls and is much scarier than b. Canis.

Edited by mandm

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Vegas came to us wth the same issue... we had him treated with Imizol ( 2 doses) he had some minor side effects shortly after, that cleared up and he is in the best health ever.

Guest iHound

Arrow also tested positive and came home with us the day he got his second injection of Imizol- he had lot of slimy slobber but that was the only side effect.

Guest luvdogs

I just got a message from the adoption agency, apparently it is very low and dormant, so I assume this is a good thing. She also said if the disease becomes active they supply the medication to treat it at no cost to the adopter, so I am feeling much more confident about adopting him! Thanks to all!

Guest Hollys2hounds

My very first grey did have a bout with Babesia after she came come to us, and was in my care for about 2 weeks.

The bad and scary part for us, was that is was not properly diagnosed right away. Once we realized what it was, the two injections (spread apart by 2 weeks) cured the problem.

From what I have been told, many vets here on the East Coast are not very familiar with Babesia, but you have an advantage, knowing what you potentially may be dealing with.

Good luck!!!

Guest ThunderPaws
How much were the shots?

I received quotes from $90 to $110 for both injections. I think the vial holds several injections.

The NC vet school pushes a new treatment protocol which involves about 6 different medications and is extremely expensive, our vet said it would be over $1,000.

I talked to adoption groups (thank you, GALT in TX and Pam at JCKC!!) and searched the internet, and came to the conclusion that the two injections of Imizol (imidocarb) seem to be the choice of treatment for adoption groups with great success rate.

Guest kydie

I have no experience with this, but, in defense of the dog, when you take on any dog, one never, never knows what will happen, this illness or another, I have a GSP with long time IBD, and this is a life time issue, no med, or injection with cure, I feel, play the hand your delt, part of being a responsible pet owner, and I would take him again in a minute, even if I knew before hand. A good dog is hard to find

Guest BasilMom

My Basil tested positve when he was adopted by us. I spoke to Dr. Holland at Protatek a few times and she felt we should repeat the test to watch the results. He was tested three or four times along with a blood smear to check for activity. I was ready to treat with Imazol when his last result came back negative. The Vets along with Protatek concluded that the Babesia he had may have just shown exposure and cleared itself. He never showed any physical signs of having a active case. He is still my healthy boy and celebrated his tenth birthday this May.

ALL of mine, but Curfew, have positve titers for Babesia. Just have your vet draw blood and have him/her do a Babesia PCR, which tells you, 1) if they were just exposed to the disease, OR, 2) it is not active in them at all! (the PCR) All of mine who tested "Babesia Positive," had Negative PCRs! :-))) GoodLuck..., but there IS a way to be SURE! The PCR!

Yep.

A single PCR isn't 100% ... but it's pretty close.

If the adoption group has the results of the first titer test, would be worth finding out when that was done. A second good diagnostic method is to get a second titer test @ 6 months after the first one. Falling or stable but very low titer, your dog was exposed but almost certainly doesn't have the disease; rising titer, you want to PCR or treat.

The NC vet school pushes a new treatment protocol which involves about 6 different medications and is extremely expensive, our vet said it would be over $1,000.

?

As of a couple months ago, they were still recommending Imizol for Babesia canis, which is the strain most greyhounds get. There is another strain, more common in some other breeds, that does not respond to Imizol and is very difficult to clear.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest luvdogs
I have no experience with this, but, in defense of the dog, when you take on any dog, one never, never knows what will happen, this illness or another, I have a GSP with long time IBD, and this is a life time issue, no med, or injection with cure, I feel, play the hand your delt, part of being a responsible pet owner, and I would take him again in a minute, even if I knew before hand. A good dog is hard to find

which is exactly what I said in my first post, the future health cannot be predicted, but I wanted to start off with him on the right foot with as much info as I could get - I did not want to get into something I had not educated myself about or some awful disease to watch him suffer with. I agree, once he is mine I would be a responsible pet owner, as I was for my last pooch of 16 years.

Thanks to everyone for their info on Babesiosis!

Phoenix tested positive for babesia shortly after i adopted him in 2002. he was symptomatic and the little critters were visible in his blood. he was also treated with two imizol injections. he's been symptom free ever since.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.