New Skin

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My little girl was running around the yard tonight playing with her toy and when she came in the house, blood trail all over. I had a fun time cleaning it up, after I could barely get the wound to stop bleeding. Its on the side of one of her toes on her front foot. I dont know how she did it. I dont have any broken glass in the yard or anything else I can think of that she cut it on. Of course there is something out there, otherwise she wouldnt be bleeding. Anyhow, does anyone know of any reason I couldnt use "new skin" on the wound to help it heal? Its not a bad wound, just in a spot where I cant really wrap. The cut is about a 1/4" long and it appears to be through the epidermal layer and possibly into the dermal layer. It was bleeding bright red blood. I dont think a trip to the vet is needed as it would only take one staple at most. Anyhow, just wanted to see if "new skin" is not safe for greys. Thanks everyone.

Chad

I use the Curad Liquid Bandage on my pups. I use the spray. It's easier.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest Patience

I would just add that it depends on your dog. Gracie had a cut between two toes and I put liquid bandaid on it, as my vet suggested. Gracie is obsessive about stuff stuck to her, though, and she chewed on that toe all night and in the morning it was a much worse wound than before.

If she runs on it, it might want to break open again. One way to give it a little support would be .....

.... not sure I should share in this family-oriented forum ....

.... this is not my idea, LynnM shared it some years back ....

.... a condom over the foot.

So now there is your laugh for the morning, too. Works, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When Stetson ripped his nail off I just cleaned it up until the bleeding stopped. In the house I left it open to air and when he went out I put a pawz on him. I think that is what it is called, used in the winter to protect their feet from the salt.

Guest Energy11

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Thanks everyone, and Jey, unfortunately I have been married for a while, so I dont have any condoms around the house. I do like the idea and will definitely pick up some to put in the emergency kit. It took a LONG time to get the wound to stop bleeding. Anyone that has ever had a cut on the side of a toe will attest to just how long it bleeds. It took me hours to clean up all the bloody carpet. Anyhow, we did get the bleeding to stop and sucessfully put some new skin on the wound. It looks ok this morning. Someone from my group said in an emergency baking soda can be used to clot. But of course, needs to be cleand after the clotting happens. Many thanks.

Chad

Guest mountain4greys

Emt gel here to. Worked great on our Gracie's between the toes cut. I also bought the spray, just in case. Also have the Neo To Go spray.

I prefer 3M Liquid Bandage--the drops, not the applicator. More effective and doesn't sting. :)

(My hands cracked in the winter, so I've tried everything.)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)