Penny Update 07-15-09

Guest Tuxsmom

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuxsmom

sorry for the locked thread... i just know how hard it is to look up updates in a big thread. didn't mean to scare you guys !

sigh... Penny would not eat breakfast. But that's ok. vet told me to expect some ups and downs with her appetite.

her lymph glands seem a bit swollen (i think thats what they are...the little pockets on each side of her throat?) they aren't huge, but they are different than usual. i just put in a call to my vet about that. waiting for a call back...

boiling some chicken breast right now...she does seem interested in meat.

going to try some baby food tonight, or yogurt, or cottage cheese. she's going to have a smorgasboard in front of her! it will be like those dog food commercials where the dog gets to choose from 10 bowls .

thanks everyone :)

Guest Energy11

As long as Penny eats, who cares if it is ten bowls, right? :-))

Hope they figure out the lymph gland thing, and, yes, those are the glands on the sides of the neck. DO let us know what the vet says about that.

Did she have a pretty good day though? Hugs from us here! DEE

A trick I learned from Batmom, offer several different things on different plates! They often seem to be like little kids, they won't eat something they might like if it's "touching" something they don't want :rolleyes:

Good Luck!

Guest Ashley

I'm so glad to hear this news! My thoughts continue to be with pretty Penny to ensure that she stays on this path!

Guest trevdog

Could be she's fighting off an infection re the glands, but I'd check anyhow. Hoping she picks something good to eat!

Guest Tuxsmom

chicken.

By Pennee :paw

i do not like noodles touching my chicken.

i do not like rice touching my chicken.

i do not like mashed potatoes touching my chicken.

i do not like baby food.

i do not like cottage cheese.

i do not like yogurt.

i like chicken.

just give me chicken.

-Pennee :paw

(sigh) - by June

thanks guys! vet did not call me back, but i told the receptionist that she could get me in the morning, that it was not an emergency....so i expect she'll call in the morning. :)

Guest Energy11

Good Grief ... just "chicken on chicken!" :-)) Well, if that is ALL she will eat, then, I say ... "let Penee eat chicken!" :-))

Hope they get to the bottom of the swollen glands. As some of the others said, could just be an infection ... THAT you can deal with.

You kids have been through HE_ _ !!!!!!! Hope everything is UPHILL from here! Love ya! Dee and my five

Oh my, this sounds so familiar. I think Penny knows what she can handle, so chicken it is.

The only other thing Misty would eat and I tried all the things you mentioned and then some, was the baby food meats, but if I got the meats mixed with anything else, she wouldn't touch it

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hey, Tuxsmom, when B was sick I prepared everything separately and served his meals in segments, like one of those divided cafeteria plates. Beef here, chicken there, spaghettios in between, blob of yogurt on this side ...... He didn't mind if things were touching :lol but it was useful because if he ate one thing but not the others I could serve him more of the edible item.

There's also nothing to say that a dog can't have two bowls, is there? One for chicken, one for something else with honey or molasses on top .......

Sending big hugs to you and your girl, who is soooooooooooooooooo lucky to have a wonderful mom.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tuxsmom

question: does solid black poop always mean blood?

Penny's poops have been brown & normal looking for 2 days now. Until tonight. It's formed normally, but solid black :(

Could it be from medication? Or from just eating meat? :(

Guest Tuxsmom

she has also been doing the excessive thirst & excessive urination thing since last night too.

#(*$(*$($)@(#(#&%. <- don't know what that was but it made me feel better

Only med *I* know that produces dark poop is Pepto Bismol .... but I don't know all the poop effects of all meds. Here, beef produces rather dark poop but not all the way to black. Chicken produces not-so-dark poop.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TurnerMiller01

YAY.. so happy to read that Penny is continuing to improve... that is great news... :yay:yay

more and more prayers and white light for Penny to continue on this healing path. :yinyang:grouphug

Guest Tuxsmom

i dunno guys... i can't keep her going like this.

So to sum up today.. she did not eat breakfast. she ate maybe 1 cup of chicken breast for dinner.

she just had more "black tar" poop. she's laying down with no response to things that normally get her up. "treat", "walk", etc.

today is a bad day.

i just dont know what tomorrow is going to bring.

she's acting weak in her hind end. she actually bangs her back feet on the 2 inch stoop coming into the house.

i dont know what to do

I am so sorry, I sure wish there was a magic answer.

Hopefully both of you will get some much needed rest and Penny will be comfortable tonight and see what the morning brings.See how she's feeling then as long as she'll be comfortable tonight

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

she just had more "black tar" poop. she's laying down with no response to things that normally get her up. "treat", "walk", etc. she's acting weak in her hind end. she actually bangs her back feet on the 2 inch stoop coming into the house.

Give your vet a call again today maybe if they don't call you? I'm sure if he/ or she is as good as ours is they will give you some advice over the phone.

If her tummy is not feeling right I imagine she will be sluggish in her back end, won't have an appetite either and might even be feeling weak if she's not eating.

Maybe get the poops analyzed????

A particular strong antibiotic might help her a little........just a thought

Hope she has a good day today. Poor darling.....Hug her lots...

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest Tuxsmom

heading in to vet now. her gums are white. 3 more bloody poops last night. she wont even lift her head up. she's staggering. she had difficulty swallowing her carafate this morning at 5am. i'm pretty sure she's lost more weight, her spine is poking out everywhere.

i think it might be time. maybe. i dont know :cry1 i just dont know

are there any miracles left