Penny Losing Ground - She Has Tomorrow To Rally

Guest Tuxsmom

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuxsmom

holy cripes... what is this ??? i just found it on Penny and she has another one further up her tail, but its not actively bleeding like this one.. its crusted over.

tailinjury.jpg

what can i do for it? i cant put anything on it that she will lick off? any ideas what it is? it's dripping blood and she needs to keep every drop IN her body

Guest Energy11

You can apply pressure using a towel, etc. to stop the bleeding. Then, a non-stick pad, and maybe Vet Wrap around that. MIGHT have happened at the vets in the cage... Main thing, holding pressure to stop the bleeding, and then, some type of triple antibiotic ointment, a non stick pad/large bandaid, and vet wrapf if you have it... good luck! You poor girl!

I just had a girlfriend call, and she recommened cutting a tampon open and taping IT to the tail?? Never have done that, but ya never know. A tampon WILL absorb lots of blood!

You can apply pressure using a towel, etc. to stop the bleeding. Then, a non-stick pad, and maybe Vet Wrap around that. MIGHT have happened at the vets in the cage... Main thing, holding pressure to stop the bleeding, and then, some type of triple antibiotic ointment, a non stick pad/large bandaid, and vet wrapf if you have it... good luck! You poor girl!

I just had a girlfriend call, and she recommened cutting a tampon open and taping IT to the tail?? Never have done that, but ya never know. A tampon WILL absorb lots of blood!

Exactly what I would do

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Continued prayers for Penny.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If a transfusion isn't forthcoming, a good shot of B12 does wonders. But it doesn't sound like your vet is generating lots of possibilities. Is the vet discouraged because of lack of MRI? Try not to let it rub off on you if that's what it is. Let the vet know you want to know what's possible. Doesn't mean you have to do it, just have the chance to consider it.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Tuxsmom

okay...going to wrap a tampon around Penny's tail.. Can't wait to see the look on my husbands face.

Penny just had a POOP !!!!! She strained really hard and a solid black little cluster came out. But then a pretty darned normal looking brown poop came out with just a tiny bit of blood streaked through it. But that blood could be from little tears from the hard compact one right?

:yay :yay :yay

thanks for putting up with my 5 minute updates. All of my friends around here would just roll their eyes at me and say "why don't you just put her down already?"

sorry i'm putting you all through a roller coaster of ups and downs :)

You might want to add these to your list of questions for the vet:

1. Transfusion. They do transfuse dogs when they lose blood. In this case, the value of 37% may not be low enough to warrant a transfusion yet. You may have to go to a bigger animal hospital to have it done though. You might want to ask at what HCT value would she consider doing a transfusion (if at all). In this case, it seems that the bleeding may have stopped so there might not be any value to doing a transfusion but that would be with the expectation that the body would start repairing itself.

2. Another HCT. They should probably check the value of the HCT again. It's also important that the dog is hydrated when this is done, if the dog is dehydrated, it can give a falsely elevated HCT value.

3. How long would it normally take for a dog to get their HCT value back up to a normal range and if anything could be done (other than a transfusion) to hasten the process.

Guest Tuxsmom
If a transfusion isn't forthcoming, a good shot of B12 does wonders. But it doesn't sound like your vet is generating lots of possibilities. Is the vet discouraged because of lack of MRI? Try not to let it rub off on you if that's what it is. Let the vet know you want to know what's possible. Doesn't mean you have to do it, just have the chance to consider it.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

thank you, mary. that is a very good point that i need to consider. i hope she's not holding a "grudge" so to speak. but everytime i go in there, i'm so optimistic about potential treatments...maybe she's just trying to give a dose of reality.

but Penny does need all the options available to her!

Guest Energy11
okay...going to wrap a tampon around Penny's tail.. Can't wait to see the look on my husbands face.

Penny just had a POOP !!!!! She strained really hard and a solid black little cluster came out. But then a pretty darned normal looking brown poop came out with just a tiny bit of blood streaked through it. But that blood could be from little tears from the hard compact one right?

:yay :yay :yay

thanks for putting up with my 5 minute updates. All of my friends around here would just roll their eyes at me and say "why don't you just put her down already?"

sorry i'm putting you all through a roller coaster of ups and downs :)

CONGRATS ON THAT POOP!! That is a VERY good sign, very very good! YOU HAVE TO get a photo of that Tampon thing :-)) And, yes, "those other people" just don't understand! WE DO!

Yes, we DO understand. Sending all the prayers I can muster, and more from my dogs, to you and Penny. We all know that however this turns out, you will do what's right for Penny. We know how much you love her.

My guess is that an ultrasound would cost anywhere between $200 - $350. Not sure if they can do anything if there is a mass in her stomach. It would however tell you if there was anything going on in the spleen.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Tuxsmom
You might want to add these to your list of questions for the vet:

1. Transfusion. They do transfuse dogs when they lose blood. In this case, the value of 37% may not be low enough to warrant a transfusion yet. You may have to go to a bigger animal hospital to have it done though. You might want to ask at what HCT value would she consider doing a transfusion (if at all). In this case, it seems that the bleeding may have stopped so there might not be any value to doing a transfusion but that would be with the expectation that the body would start repairing itself.

2. Another HCT. They should probably check the value of the HCT again. It's also important that the dog is hydrated when this is done, if the dog is dehydrated, it can give a falsely elevated HCT value.

3. How long would it normally take for a dog to get their HCT value back up to a normal range and if anything could be done (other than a transfusion) to hasten the process.

thank you for these logical questions. my brain seems incapable of forming thoughts right now!

vet is actually on top of the HCT. She checked it periodically throughout both days to catch any highs or lows. The 34% and 37% i gave were the last test of the day results.

Sending lots of prayers for your sweetest girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I really need to read more carefully, I couldn't figure out where this idea came from.

I don't know that I would do that, and gauze soaks up quite a bit of blood if it bleeds that much.

Just last night I had trouble stopping bleeding with Ekko and after applying pressure and then wrapping gauze and vet wrap, bleeding stopped almost right away.

Once I was sure the bleeding stopped totally, I unwrapped and sprayed Wound Kote to avoid infection, rewrapped and this morning it looks great

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thinking of Miss Penny and hoping for a quiet night with a little good food staying down.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest FordRacingRon

I don't know where this is heading but I will say that you and sweet Penny will be in my thoughts and prayers for as long as you need them.

Guest Energy11

I really need to read more carefully, I couldn't figure out where this idea came from.

I don't know that I would do that, and gauze soaks up quite a bit of blood if it bleeds that much.

Just last night I had trouble stopping bleeding with Ekko and after applying pressure and then wrapping gauze and vet wrap, bleeding stopped almost right away.

Once I was sure the bleeding stopped totally, I unwrapped and sprayed Wound Kote to avoid infection, rewrapped and this morning it looks great

Tampon idea... from a girlfriend of mine who has two greys. Apparently, SHE has used it before to stop bleeding on a tail. You never know ... MIGHT just do the trick.

Guest Ashley

I'm preying for your beautiful girl. Your first post just broke my heart. I really hope that she can pull through this, and I am sending you all of the strength that I have.