Bessie's Dislocated Toe--upcoming Surgery

On May 21 Bessie severely dislocated her outer right back toe. Vet x-rayed and put it in place, but did not wrap it. I was too distraught at the time to ask about wrapping it. Three weeks later it dislocated again but not as severely. Well, altogether now it has dislocated five times, each time sooner than the last. I knew I now had to do something more drastic. She eventually was seen by all three vets in the office, including the surgeon, who gave me a very high estimate for the surgery and pathology. Since the original dislocation, a lump has developed on top of the joint, could be infection, tumor, or bone/calcium growth if there was a break. They recommended surgery immediately in case it is a tumor. I have been shopping for a competent vet with a more reasonable price. It's awful that I have to shop around. Got a more reasonable estimate but it is close to an hour away and not an easy drive. Last night I remembered a vet I used for my dachshund some years ago to repair his cruciate ligament- wonderful job, fast service, reasonable price, and 20 minutes away. I called first thing this morning for some info, but had to hesitate to make an appointment. When I called back to make a consult appointment the vet himself answered and said he would see her today at 2. We went, scheduled surgery for this Wednesday, and the high estimate is lower than my original one, and a dental is included!!! So she is having the toe amputated and sent for pathology and her teeth cleaned. Whew. I have been worried sick about this and this blasted financial crunch I am in, but finally something is working out.

Does anyone know how long recuperation is for a toe amputation, and what might I expect? I forgot to ask him.

Please pray that the lump is nothing to worry about. My sweet Bessie will be 11 in September and has been such an "easy keeper" until lately.

Guest Energy11

No experience with toe amputations, either, but I JUST paid Dr. Karen off, and we owe her another $400! Boy, it WAS nice working at the vets in Florida, for that reason. I am SURE everything will work out well.

All vets who saw her said that it is not common for a toe tumor to be osteo, but it is possible. I will not rest until the

pathology report comes back, though my gut feeling tells me it is something related to the result of the dislocation, ie,

inflammation, infection, calcium. But, ohhhh the waiting.

sue

Did they x-ray it again or consider an aspirate?

Is it still dislocating or causing her pain? If not, and it looks like one of the below, there's no need to amputate it. It's the stretched ligaments calcifying themselves -- nature's own fix for a dislocated toe. These are my angel Batman's:

post-1781-1247524738_thumb.jpg

Hmm, can only put one of those in a post. Let's see if it will let me post another toe pic:

post-1781-1247524829_thumb.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hers is causing pain and the nail is digging into the next toe, causing a sore. The joint is now bent to the outside and the

nail to the inside . I have been trying to pad it with all sorts of things and using a thin strip of vet wrap and she manages to

remove everything pretty quickly. Last Thursday she dislocated it for the fourth time, we put it in alignment, and two hours

later she dislocated it again. All say that an amputation of a non weight bearing toe is no big deal, but any surgery to an

older grey is a big deal to me. Was really hoping it would stay in place but obviously not. She is already showing side

effects from the problem as her stance is wider. She "stands funny" if you know what I mean! They tend to redistribute

their weight and end up with other ortho problems, like when we overuse another body part to protect an injured or sore

part. I really appreciate all input.

Sue

Oh yeah, if it's still dislocating you're doing the right thing no matter what. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh - I am sorry. Suzy had a recurring inflamation in her outer toe on the right front paw. She had course after course of antibiotice but within a week of finishing the inflamation would be back. Our group made the decision to amputate and she came here to be fostered while she recovered. The paw was very sore for the first two weeks, within two months she was back running. It is almost three years later and she can sometimes have a little sensitivity if she runs too much or hits a rock but this is very rare. Oh and she never left - another failed foster.

Keeping everything crossed here that this is not a tumor but calcification from injury and reinjury. Good luck on Wednesday Bessie, we will all be thinking of you and waiting for news.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Thanks Deb. I forgot to ask about after care and just did not know what to expect. I know a friend's greyt broke a toe and

was bandaged and restricted for two weeks, so I figured it would be at least that long. Even now she will jump from the sofa

and run to the outside if I do not stop her. But then she comes back holding up the foot and limps for the rest of the day.

She is almost 11 going on 5. Guess I would not want her any other way though. Though the last few weeks were so very

rocky with anxiety, it is finally coming together. I was so greatful that today's vet saw her immediately and scheduled the

surgery for Wednesday. All other surgery appointments were for next week at the earliest, even though I told them that

the toe will not stay in place anymore since last Thursday and is painful.

Thank you for the good thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Sue

Does anyone know how long recuperation is for a toe amputation, and what might I expect? I forgot to ask him.

It should be completely healed in the normal 7-10 days for suture removal. She should get around easily right away.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Sorry, I'm just seeing this! I've been trying to not come to H&M so often :(

Dude had his back right 2nd toe in (a weight bearing one) amputated last year after he broke it doing zoomies. In our case there was no question of just being able to splint it and have it heal, as his toe was pretty much shattered.

The surgery is very quick - I think he was only under less than an hour - and his recovery from the amp went very well. He came home that night, very groggy and cranky, but was OK by morning. He had pain meds and antibiotics, and a hard splint that ran from under his foot half-way up his leg. It was pretty bulky and I think that bothered him more than anything.

Dude's biggest problem was ME! His bandaging got grubby fast, and by 10 days after I knew it should come off. The vet tech I called at the surgeon's said to leave it on for the full 14 days until his recheck. Well, I listened to him and not my instincts and Dude developed an infection in pressure sores from the splint. His actual amputation site was completely healed after 2 weeks, but we had another 6 weeks of taking him in for weekly bandage changes and antibiotics to get the sores taken care of right. Fortunately, the vet was very accomodating and we got it free of charge.

Dude got really good at hopping around on three legs. He could even go up and down the stairs at top speed! So much so that it took him a month or so after the last splinting came off before he started using his foot normally. Now a year later - Pfsssshhhhh! Nothing stops him! Sometimes it gets sore and I have to go easy when I do his nails, but other than that, there's not been any problems whatsoever.

Bessie should be just fine! She's healthy otherwise and it sounds like your surgeon knows his stuff. Most likely the lump isn't cancer, but here's hoping the path comes back fast and clean!

greysmom :D

PS - ETA - Make sure they take enough of the toe that there's no bone left to hit either the other toes or the ground. You want them to take at least the first two metatarsals, and maybe three depending on what her foot looks like. Dude's foot did change shape, but he uses it and his leg normally with no change in his gait or stance.

:D

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ann and Chris, thank you for your responses. I feel so much better now, though I will also be concerned about pressure

sores. I know of a few cases of this happening with other bandaged injuries in greys. Being a nurse myself I will probably

not hesitate to at least partially unwrap it if I suspect anything is wrong. Though the vet did not wrap it after the first

dislocation, I wrapped it after the second. I know I did not wrap it tightly, probably not tight enough, and I kept checking it

for fear I was cutting off her circulation. Thank goodness they usually survive in spite of us.

hugs to all for your help.

Sue

Sue, if you can wrap with the 2 middle toenails peeking out (or two side toenails -- harder but still possible), that allows you to monitor for swelling.

Ann and Chris, thank you for your responses. I feel so much better now, though I will also be concerned about pressure

sores

In the amputations I've seen splints were not used. Just a light bandage of vet wrap.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest mlegan4888

Sue, I've read all of your posts on poor Bessie and I can't tell you how sorry I am. I felt a stab in my heart when I read your 11:40 post, particulary because after a repeated toe dislocation issue with my little guy, I made the difficult decision just yesterday to have it removed. The information from you and all of the posters (is that what you call 'em?) has been abundantly helpful. I'm telling you this because I'm hoping it helps, even if just a little bit, to know that Bessie's experience will help my little guy live the playful life he so enjoys. I'm giving him even more hugs and kisses than I normally do! Bless her little heart, and yours, too. You take care.