Straining - Trying To Poop

Gracie is straining, trying to poop. Her back sorta arches and her tail goes up like she's about to poop but nothing comes out.

She did poop this evening but since it was after dark I didn't go scoop or check it. Didn't think anything of it until she was trying to do that poopy stance in the house.

She just woke me up to go outside (1:45am) and she peed then tried to do that poop walk again. She's really straining to try and get something out.

I don't hear any tummy gurgles. I can touch her belly hind end and she's not tender.

It's been a long time since she had any anal gland problems. There's no anal gland smell. There was a bit of poo goo on her rectum. I wiped that and it did not have an anal gland smell.

She's lying down, going to sleep and isn't panting so I guess she's not in pain.

Any thoughts on this behavior?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh rats, I just took another look. It looks like an anal gland is swollen. We went through this several years ago with one on the other side of her rectum. Came home to find one had burst. She recovered from that OK (after vet check).

Debating about going to the e-vet or if she'd be OK until I get home from work at 1pm tomorrow. I cannot not got to work in the morning............

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If it's not too bad, it's a do-it-yourself job, IIRC. Never had to do it, but I recommend something disposable in terms of outerwear and some pretty good gloves!

Oh, I so don't want to go there.

I looked through Gracie's old records and when she had this on the other side years ago she was given cephalexin. I have some on hand so I'll give her one now in the hopes it will start to help until the vet sees her.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest FullMetalFrank

Ouchie, poor girl.... keflex seems to be the drug of choice for stuff like that, IIRC; so hopefully it will keep the nasties at bay until tomorrow! Sending good thoughts...

Just got home from work and one gland is about to blow. Off to the vet we go......

tiny hada siggy.png

Sounds like you caught it in time. Good luck.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Vet was able to express a lot of yucky stuff. The bulge is way down now. He said she may yet build up some more and rupture. Gracie is definitely feeling better. I am to keep giving her the cephalexin 500mg and tramadol 50mg every 8 hours. She goes back in for a re-check on Thursday.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor girl. Glad she feels better.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Gracie had another re-check today and had to be fondled by the vet once again. The antibiotics are kicking in and he doesn't think another intrusion will be needed. She is sooo not happy with me right now. She says going for a ride in the car just wasn't worth the end result.

tiny hada siggy.png

:lol :lol Oh I am so sorry Gracie - but that was just too funny!

going for a ride in the car just wasn't worth the end result.

I hope she continues to improve without any more problems. Good on you for catching it early!

FL

Guest MyBoys

Poor little Gracie, at least mommy took her to the vet and didn't try to do the job herself (LOL). I don't know about anyone else but I would pay any price not to have to do that myself.

I just saw this post and I'm glad she starting to feel better. I just wanted to mention that unlike cats dogs hardly ever get constipated--usually they posyure because of another problem such as a UTI or impacted anal glands--just a fyi :rolleyes:

I just saw this post and I'm glad she starting to feel better. I just wanted to mention that unlike cats dogs hardly ever get constipated--usually they posyure because of another problem such as a UTI or impacted anal glands--just a fyi :rolleyes:

Well then Gracie sure was trying to fix her problem on her own.

You know how our dogs have poop postures unique to them? Gracie's tail goes up, comes down in an S curve, up/down like a lever handle, drops a poop.

With that gland impacted she was whipping that tail up and down like a fly fisherman. My poor baby hurting and there I was chuckling.

tiny hada siggy.png