Penny Update - Going Out Swingin'

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Energy11
ive been reading that fasting is the most important thing to do to keep a dog from vomiting again. last nights episode was at midnight, i made her wait 12 hours and fed her "breakfast" at noon. hmm..

at this point, i think i'm just trying to keep water down her. she seems to only vomit after food, not after water. i dont want a trip to the evet tonight over severe dehydration.

i gave her the phenobarb at noon with no velveeta. i'm hoping it got mostly absorbed.

i think i'll give her pepcid ac before dinner time, then give her phenobarb 30 mins later a very very small amount of plain white rice. sound ok?

Sounds okay to me. IT is basically what I do with Curfew's meds. I use Velveeta, too, and everything seems to absorb well. Sorry you are having such a hard time with her tummy. The Pepcid REALLY might help her, and the rice can't hurt. This is WHY I HATE Prednisone. Curfew is now on Enalapril 20 mg (blood pressure meds) and Phenobarb 97.2 mg, twice a day. Waiting for his levels to come back tomorrow.

As long as she is keeping down liquids, that is good. Maybe some chicken brooth (low sodium) mixed with the rice? That might help her a lot, as the brooth has fluid in it.

Good Luck!!!!!! D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobbes had trouble with his stomach when we started him on Prednisone (which worked beautifully for the inflammation left from a neurological event - no doubt saved his life). I would feed him small meals 4-5 times a day starting with a small bowl of Lipton Chicken Noodle soup with his generic 10 mg. version of Pepcid. The broth and small noodles seemed to settle his stomach. After 15 min. I would offer him mashed potatoes with shredded boiled chicken in it and eventually worked up to the boiled chicken on his usual kibble (ID diet). Toast for a snack, or mid-day lunch of chicken & macaroni seemed mild enough to hold off the nausea until he adjusted. Then 15 min. before his dinner meal I gave him is second pepcid with more soup. He drank of lot of the broth so I knew it helped to get liquid in him.

I hope these suggestions help a little bit.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I think fasting is for dogs who have a tummy upset due to a virus or something along those lines. She's reacting to her meds so I think something to settle her stomach before she eats will fix the problem. Maybe light meals after the pepcid. That should help.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Tuxsmom

wow.... all everyone's suggestions make perfect sense.

i am following them all (and can you believe that it's completely possible to do so in a health & medical thread? :) )

i agree with not fasting her now that you pointed that out, Judy. The internet is great for info, but can be a problem when you only read bits and pieces that may not apply completely to your situation.

ok, just gave her pepcid 90 mins ago, gave her dinner (just white rice with a tiny bit of real chicken broth, no added salt) an hour ago, and now that she's kept it down for an hour, i'm going to attempt just the phenobarbitol and a bit more white rice.

i am letting a drink a small amount of water every hour.

if the phenobarbitol stays down, then i'll pick back up with both meds in the morning with her breakfast (after pepcid & a quick call to vet).

i hope the day off prednisone didn't hurt too much... but she wasn't going to keep it down anyways until i got this figured out.

small meals a few times a day, pepcid, no velveeta for now... i feel so much better when i have a plan and am not completely lost

i owe you all a ton of gratitude.. THANK YOU !!!!! :grouphug

Guest Energy11
wow.... all everyone's suggestions make perfect sense.

i am following them all (and can you believe that it's completely possible to do so in a health & medical thread? :) )

i agree with not fasting her now that you pointed that out, Judy. The internet is great for info, but can be a problem when you only read bits and pieces that may not apply completely to your situation.

ok, just gave her pepcid 90 mins ago, gave her dinner (just white rice with a tiny bit of real chicken broth, no added salt) an hour ago, and now that she's kept it down for an hour, i'm going to attempt just the phenobarbitol and a bit more white rice.

i am letting a drink a small amount of water every hour.

if the phenobarbitol stays down, then i'll pick back up with both meds in the morning with her breakfast (after pepcid & a quick call to vet).

i hope the day off prednisone didn't hurt too much... but she wasn't going to keep it down anyways until i got this figured out.

small meals a few times a day, pepcid, no velveeta for now... i feel so much better when i have a plan and am not completely lost

i owe you all a ton of gratitude.. THANK YOU !!!!! :grouphug

I know I am speaking for all of us, ... we love you, we care, and we are here to help! :-))) Glad Miss Penny is keeping things down. I SWEAR by the Pepcid AC! Really helped My Curfew.

I used it with Emmy too. Once you handle the nausea symptoms she should keep things down and you can make sure she gets her med and keeps them down. Like you said, they can't help her if she can't keep them down. Pred is one of those drugs that is a miracle drug but can have harsh side effects and each dog reacts differently to it.

Prayers that things continue to improve from here on out.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11
I used it with Emmy too. Once you handle the nausea symptoms she should keep things down and you can make sure she gets her med and keeps them down. Like you said, they can't help her if she can't keep them down. Pred is one of those drugs that is a miracle drug but can have harsh side effects and each dog reacts differently to it.

Prayers that things continue to improve from here on out.

Curfew was HORRIBLE on pred ... both times :-(( But, is IS a miracle drug when needed.

Guest Tuxsmom

whew...couple of hours later, 1 cup of rice + little touch of chicken broth + phenobarbitol pill all in her tummy. no restlessness, no hacking or gagging...just peace.

View from my bed just a few minutes ago :)

pennyandemily.jpg

and Penny says Thank You :)

penny070509.jpg

Notice the pee-pee pad under her? these are recycled from a hospital that sanitizes them and gives them to animal groups. if you ever get offered some.. TAKE THEM! they are awesome. waterproof on bottom and cozy quilting on top...

Guest BatesieGreys

I am so glad that she is doing a little better this evening. Hoping that things continue to improve. Sending lots of good thoughts and positive energy to you and Penny.

(Very cute kitty too.)

Guest Tuxsmom

:yay: Penny kept her dinner & phenobarb down last night :yay:

she woke me up several times last night, whining. when i would follow her, she would take me to her food bin :blink:

i finally caved at 4am and gave her a handful of kibble :blink:

She then had rice for breakfast with a bit of chicken broth AND her phenobarbitol AND her prednisone AND kept it all down all day !!!!!

Guest Energy11

GREYT NEWS, JUNE~

When Curfew was on Pred, he was always "asking" for food! Especially at night! He would to out, every two hours, to pee.

Sounds like Miss Penny is on the right track! I am happy for you both! DO keep in touch! We have been down YOUR road!

Love and hugs! Dee and Curfew

p.s. I did NOT sleep for about three months, after Curfew was "diagnosed!" Now, with the BP meds and the Phenobarb, he seems GREAT! :-))

June, what a lovely and peaceful photo of Penny and her sweet friend. She looks like she is feeling much better. I'm so glad her stomach is settling (which of course makes you feel better too!). We used the same pads under Hobbes when he was on the Prednisone and they saved me lots of work, were easy to wash and protected the beds.

Hugs to you and Penny - and get some more rest when you can. I have also been on that tough schedule with sick dogs and it is exhausting.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Energy11

You might want to check with your vet on this, but Meclizine (used for travel sickness and nausea), might help! Curfew had to take it in the beginning. I AM SOOOOOOO sorry Penny is having such trouble with the Pred! Curfew tolerated it well, with the exception of being THIRSTY AND HUNGRY ALL the time!

Wonderful! Things are looking up and going in the right direction! Good job Penny!

What a wonderful report. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That is EXCELLENT news!!! Way to go Penny!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.