Do you let your Grey on the Couch?  

568 members have voted

1. 1. Do you let your dog on the couch?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • Undecided

Guest RocketDog

My personal dogs are allowed on the couch and bed, but they both know and heed the 'OFF' command when we need or want them off. We do our best not to allow the fosters on the furniture, but if they figure things out we teach them 'OFF' and show them the umpteen cooshy dog beds that are located near all the couches/beds for their use.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lotsogreysmom

When we had just 2 greys they never got on the furniture then #3 came and she got on the furniture...guess she taught the other 2 cause now everyone is always on the couch...lol. We recently bought a vinyl couch and loveseat that we absolutely love with having the dogs!!

Guest gecko_foot

I don't allow Tumnus to get on the couch or bed (not that he can jump on the bed anyway). He has never actually tried to get on the couch, but I get the early morning greeting of two big greyhound paws on my chest. :blink:

• 1 month later...
Guest greytmiles

Miles figured out couches by himself around week 2 in the house, but he's only allowed on one of the three couches downstairs... it's pretty much 'his' now. We keep him out of the tiny tv room and off the 'fancy' couch (WE don't even sit on that one!).

It is not unusual here to have one stretched out and/or roached on the couch, one in the same position on the loveseat, the other two curled up in the club chairs and me? Well I am sitting on the dogbed on the floor watching TV cause the furniture is filled. lol.gif

nod.giflol.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest happygrey

4+ weeks and counting and he still hasn't tried to get up on a sofa or a bed. I sorta want him to but I think DH is just as happy that he hasn't.

Guest Chefcnam

I have had Willy for 4 days now and from the first time she came home, she laid down right on the couch. She hasn't even attempted getting on the bed yet though, so she just sleeps in her bed which is next to mine.

Guest EmilyandSioux

Sioux has his own couch but he shares with the cat. The other dogs don't try to get up there unless they want to cuddle with him. He does have another dog bed on top of the couch that he uses as a pillow. He also gets on the bed but he usually waits for a invitation. Both my husband and I have to invite him up then or he won't come.

Guest bluefawn

The greys in my house have always been allowed on the sofa and to share my bed. I admit that I got tired of the "corn chip" smell. rolleyes.gif I tried covers of different sorts, but nothing really takes away that odor. Last year, Larry bought me new LR furniture, including a really nice, expensive sofa and love seat. The stipulation: "No dogs on the furniture, pleeeez." Penny doesn't really care, since she can still sleep with me. Candi wants to sit in my lap lol - but she doesn't really offer to jump on the sofa. So, the answer is, no dogs on the furniture here.

Guest Drumhellergrey

YES- Ted is allowed. After all, it is only the three of us in the house. We keep throws on both the couch and the love-seat. The love-seat is his, unless we have company. He also has another love-seat in what is considered his room,(the add on in our mobile home). He also has 2 different dog beds, which he uses quite often.

His , and our favorite time is in the evening. He gets a treat of vanilla ice cream, after which he falls asleep cuddled up to either my wife, or me.

Guest NJgrey

Ellie has been with us almost a month. We invited her up on the love seat for the first time this past Sunday.

Guess who doesn't seem to like her bed NEARLY as much as she did on Saturday... :rolleyes::P

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Myka is allowed but only on 1 couch ( I have 2 in the living room) and only in her spot at the foot of the couch--no where else.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest Frankendog

Although Frankie does have a nice dog bed we let him on a leather couch in the main living room and a "crappy" couch in the TV area of my studio. Of course crappy old couches are always the ones they love so Frankie has been up on that from day 1. We also let him on the leather couch...well...cause we are suckers for a comfy dog. Anyway...a few weeks after we got him back in the fall, for some reason he stopped going on the leather couch as well as the bed in the spare bedroom (daughter's who is away at college) which we had also given him access to.

So it has been months since he went on the leather couch and so one day a week or so ago I invited him up with a treat. He got up, took the treat, and got down again. That was that. Until later that night I was on the couch watching TV when he came up to me, put one paw on the couch, looked over at me, and continued up on the couch!! It has been his chosen spot to sleep ever since, even occasionally sharing it with our Siamese Cleo! It was like after months he just was waiting for my ok?!!

4486520415_1314a539da_o.jpg

Guest paulsmachetti

Leah's allowed on the couch in the family room and on the bed. She won't go on the couch in the good living room though.Probably because we don't spend much time up there. She'll see me up there some nights watching hockey or baseball but won't make any attempt to hop up on the couch .

She spends most of the day while we're at work on the bed though . She usually hops in bed around 3 am after spending most of the night on the couch. It's gotten to the point where we don't even notice her hopping on the bed anymore. We just wake up to find her there.

Paul

Guest MadeItToTheMoon

Oliver hasn't conquered the couch yet... he seemed pretty nervous about furniture at first. However, he will get into bed with us if he's called.

Guest BrindleGirl

Sagan has been with us for just shy of 3 months and he is starting to come out of his shell (its so cute!). He has lately been trying to snuggle with us on the couch and I am all for it. My hubby is all for it too, but we just want to make sure we aren't letting him get away with too much...meaning..once we start giving into his requests...what else will he want?

So, comments, thoughts, and any funny stories.

M, J, and S

Guest BrindleGirl

Dora LOVES the couch. She has her 'safe' cage but her preference is the couch. You're very lucky she wants to snuggle with you , I would love to have Dora join me instead of me joining her. She doesn't mind too much when I sit with her but I can tell she would prefer a longer couch. Enjoy your new friend , greys are warm and wonderful.

Today the couch, tomorrow the bed, the fridge, the TV remote. Tank, Tractor, and Max all share the couch. And they rotate through who gets to hop up in the bed. I don't have any idea about how they've decided the last part, but they've got a schedule.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

We might be one of the few who WANT their grey on the couch, but she won't go on it. *L* We figure in time she'll relax and explore the world of cushy goodness.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest 4baddogs

Abso-freakin-lutely. Here’s why.

For most of my adult life, I’ve been a neat freak. There was a time when even I wouldn’t sit on my living room furniture when it was new. Yes, for real. Then I got married and inherited not only a 6’4” huge husband, but a pretty wild dog who both lounged all over “my” furniture which gave me the vapors. I got over it when a very wise man, my dad, said to me: “Listen, let it go. You get a great dog that lives for 10 or 12 years. You can always get a new couch.” And he was so right. After that conversation, my dogs have always been allowed on our furniture. After all, it’s their home too. :)