Zoe's Leg - Pulled Muscle, Strained Ligament, Now What?

Guest 4baddogs

if she tore a muscle in her thigh, there would be blood pooling all the way down her leg. I'm praying this is all it is :hope :hope it's still a painful injury, but rest will be all she needs :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest 4baddogs

Well, if it is - GOD FORBID - osteo, Zoe's pretty amazing.

We were at my parents house for about 4 hours today. When we got home and let the dogs outside, she took off running like a bat out of hell like nothing was wrong! We've been calling her "crazy legs" for past couple of years because as she's gotten older, her back legs kind of fly all over the place. Her legs did that, of course, but not any more than usual. I yelled for her to stop and slow down, but that was useless because she's deaf! :lol

She was panting and waiting at the door for us with Kirby when we got home, so I do think she's still in pain even though she's on a ton of meds. She's eating normally too, so that's good. I'm going to come home from work at noon tomorrow to check on her instead of letting my father-in-law put them out like he usually does.

I'm sure y'all are sick of hearing this, but it helps me talk about it. As I've said before, my husband is an avoider and just says "it'll be ok" no matter what the situation and I don't think like that.

Thanks again. GT is the best place ever. Well, except for Costco but that's another story. :blush

Guest Energy11

Yeah... Costco! NONE around here :((( I think the closest one is in Atlanta, and I don't go there! Good luck with all of this! Sleep well! D

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Just read the post, so sorry to hear about Zoe. I've seen something like this with my girlfriends pup who fell and bumped into something during a heavy winter snow and her doing zoomies.

Her leg was so swollen, and so purple. I too will be praying this is all that is wrong with your baby.

More prayers and good thoughts headed your way. :hope :hope

just seeing this now :( :( :(

hope she's doing better this evening!!!! sending many prayers for your tough old gal!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest 4baddogs

Zoe's in the hospital right now, having more tests done. Everything they sent out to the radiologists and OSU came back fine, but they still can't figure out what's wrong with her. Her leg is still swollen, but now it's only from the hock to her toes. The doctor said her toes felt cooler than they should, as well.

They're doing a sonogram of her belly (because she shows tenderness during exams and they said she has slimy poo in her intestines. I explained she's always had loose poop since the day she came home. None of her vets ever questioned it until NOW.), chest x-rays and some kind of coagulation blood panel. The doctor suspects it may be a blood coagulation issue that's typically found in younger greys fresh off the track (I can't remember the name of it and didn't write it down). Typical of Zoe, she always has things not normally found in greys at ALL!

So, she's been there since around 11:30 this morning. We should hear from them around 4:00 or 5:00 and then we'll pick her up.

I keep trying to prepare myself for the worst and I'm truly convinced that's what it is, but I know I'm really not ready for it. At 15-years old, we've already decided to not put her through chemo or radiation or anything major. I'm not even sure I could keep her on meds to keep her comfortable, because that would be more for me than for her.

I don't like sounding like Miss Doom and Gloom, but I've had my hopes up so high before with Flashy and Nate only to have my heart ripped out. I don't ever want to feel like that again and this is the only way I know how to prevent it.

I pray Zoe "only" has a coagulation issue.

Dr. Couto recommends a med to be given when GHs have surgery, because many of them have a bleeding issue. You might want to find out more about that and see if Dr. Couto's group suggests that you give it to Zoe to help her situation, even though she didn't have surgery.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

Hang in there! They can, most likely, "fix" a cogulation issue ... seriously! Please don't think "the worst" until you have to, okay? Please!

We will be thinking of you and praying! Love and hugs! Dee and The Five! :grouphug:heart:goodluck:getwell

Dr. Couto recommends a med to be given when GHs have surgery, because many of them have a bleeding issue. You might want to find out more about that and see if Dr. Couto's group suggests that you give it to Zoe to help her situation, even though she didn't have surgery.

Good Idea! DH remembers him talking about that during his Mt. Hounds seminar.

Many more prayers for Zoe. Hoping for a good report from the vets.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest 4baddogs

Well, after another $1800 – they can’t find anything wrong with her. :)

The 3 doctors are completely baffled, but thrilled that she doesn’t have cancer anywhere that they’ve done tests. Sonogram – nothing; Chest x-rays – nothing; Blood coagulation profile – nothing. They even did a nasalscope biopsy to be sure there’s nothing going on with her cranial nerves and nothing!

I got print outs of all of her medical records and the doctor states: “the swelling in her leg and foot has improved by at least 50% through the course of the day.” And then she goes on to detail it may be simple vasculitis which is what she told me is the thing sometimes found in YOUNG greyhounds, which of course Zoe is not. She says short of doing a full body CT to find something small, she isn’t confident making recommendations for diagnostics or treatment other than keeping her on the meds she’s currently taking for a week to see how she does. It may be something that waxes and wanes so if the symptoms return then we'll go back to re-evaluate.

So for now, my sweet little money pit is resting because we JUST got home. Once again I’m exhausted and am going to bed.

Thank you all, AGAIN, for your thoughts and prayers, your PMs, and for listening to my psychotic rants. Only when you've been in these situations do you really know how much other greyhound owners are the only ones who understand. :heart

Fingers, toes, paws, arms, legs -- everything crossed that she continues to improve. Not psychotic rants. Know exactly how you feel. Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

my sweet little money pit :lol bless you for still having a sense of humor! praying that Zoe will be just fine :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)