Need Quick Feedback Before Going To Vet Tonight..

Guest 3greysinPA

Guest TurnerMiller01

okay.. Lilly has a appt. with the Vet tonight.. She has been peeing a lot in the last 7 days.. and has been peeing more than every two hours... so, my rescue would like me to get her checked... and so i made an appt. at the Vet tonight at 7:30 Eastern time... so,, i have been following Lilly around now for the past hour.. waiting for her to pee outside.. trying to get a fresh urine sample... but no luck...

however the Vet's office said.. it would not be a problem... that they could use a needle and aspirate urine from her bladder thru the abdomen.

Is this safe? is this common practice?

anyone ever have this done to their hound?

if so, how well does the dog handle this???

any input would be greatly appreciated... I'm a nervous for her and want to do the right thing ...

thank you

Guest Energy11

I'd let her drink and keep following her with a shallow bowl. I am NOT a fan of needle aspiration. It is not comfortable.

I can usually always get a sample. Just keep following her, and she will pee. If not at home, once you get to the vets ... Clean the bowl really good, and do the same with the jar/whatever, you bring it in, and you should be fine.

Good luck and happing pee-catching!

however the Vet's office said.. it would not be a problem... that they could use a needle and aspirate urine from her bladder thru the abdomen.

Is this safe? is this common practice?

anyone ever have this done to their hound?

if so, how well does the dog handle this???

any input would be greatly appreciated... I'm a nervous for her and want to do the right thing ...

thank you

I had this done with Nadir. They took him into another room, but I've been told it is very safe and painless. It is also the best way to get a clean, uncontaminated sample. Nadir was just fine when they brought him back up.

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Whenever I need a sample, I arrive at the Vet a few minutes early and my dogs usually cooperate outside the office. I guess it's the new and exciting smells! Just make sure you bring some wipes if needed for your hands! :lol

Good luck, hope she's okay.

Guest myIrishlass

If all else fails, just before going into the vets office many dogs pee. They smell other dogs' scents and want to leave their own. So keep a container with you until the very last second before going in. You may be rewarded.

Getting a urine sample that way at the vet is safe, and no more uncomfortable than getting blood drawn. It's a very small needle. It has the advantage of being an uncontaminated specimen, in case they're worried about a urinary tract infection and want to do a culture.

Good luck tonight, and keep us posted.

Guest gretzky

My drama queen Zella has had it done a half dozen times and has always been fine. She had an extremely stubborn UTI and had to have a clean catch for culturing. The needle collection is the best way to do that.

Guest TurnerMiller01

Thank you for the replies... I am still going to follow with a container for a catch urine specimen... I am not a fan of the needle thing either... and go figure.. i am a nurse... but the thought of it.. just bothers me...

so anyway... i am going to take the container with and hope for the best... :hope

anyone else have this done to their hound??? :unsure:unsure I'm still a little nervous about this... taking the Dh with and the DS with... i dont want to go to the vet alone..

boy.. i sure hope the dh goes with ..i didnt ask him. :huh

My drama queen Zella has had it done a half dozen times and has always been fine. She had an extremely stubborn UTI and had to have a clean catch for culturing. The needle collection is the best way to do that.

Ok.. so it is very safe then????

Guest Energy11

Still.. the "natural" way to get a sample is easier. Hopefully, all the good smells at the vets will produce a pee pee! :-))

You might call the Vets from your car when you get there, so the staff can come out with a sterile container and get her sample. Dogs usually like to mark that they have been there.

If not the method from the abdomen is easy and safe. I was always suprised how well cats did with it.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

My vet got a urine sample by needle from my Jacey in my presence. She just stood there...wasn't bothered by it a bit.

And it may be the only way to differentiate bladder infection from urethra infection.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest IrskasMom

We were at Vet a Week ago. The Vet Tech followed me outside with a shallow Pan . NO LUCK. She gave me a Container and

a shallow Pan and I followed him for Peepee at the Park. If I just go behind him he freakes out . NO LUCK . Now I have to go back to

the Vet and let them handle it with the Needle.

Edited by IrskasMom

I really try to avoid the vet getting the sample by the needle. If they are not really, really careful, they can cause an infection .. and before I get flamed here .... I know that they will try and be careful but it's much better if you can get it yourself.

Guest Energy11
I really try to avoid the vet getting the sample by the needle. If they are not really, really careful, they can cause an infection .. and before I get flamed here .... I know that they will try and be careful but it's much better if you can get it yourself.

Ditto, and I worked at a vets for four years. Yes, sometimes, there IS no other way, but luckily, I was always able to get them (even the patients), not just mine, to pee :-))) Males are a breeze! It is the females who are the problems :lol

My vet has had to do it several times with Misty. I hated it not because it wasn't safe, but because it hurts. But thank God it's quick

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest nerak254

When I've had to do this, the trick has been to walk behind them nonchalantly with a pie tin. Then when they have to squat, you are in the perfect position to just slide that thing under there and get what you need before they know what happened and stop.

I responded to this thread already but I'm just realizing the hour that your appt is. I'm surprised that they didn't want the sample to wait until morning for the first catch

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Have never had a problem with cystocentesis (the needle method) here. Zema is terrified of any and all veterinary procedures, and Joseph is a wuss, and it doesn't bother either of them. I do prefer to get a free catch as it's cheaper. First of the morning is easy 'cause they have to go. For other occasions, I usually just grab one right outside the vet's office as already mentioned.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TurnerMiller01

We are home.... i had my handy dandy tupperware container ready... got her out of the car at the vet ... she walked around for almost 10 mins.. just taking in all the great smells here there and everywhere... and then i noticed the squat.. i was ready.. got the urine.. and in we went...

Yes.. Her ph was elevated and it showed some White Blood Cells in the urine.. put her on 750mg of Keflex twice a day for 2 weeks... .. and that was that...

i was very glad they did not have to do the needle thing.. the centesis... i had mixed feelings on it from the many different reviews... anyway.. it just put a lump in my throat and well... i am just glad we didnt have to go that route...

And.. well Lilly is on Antibiotics.. and hopefully we will see an improvement in her urinating frequency.

Good job at the vet lilly girl. :yay:kiss2

When I took Jacey in for them to draw from her bladder, I needed to get her to drink a lot of water and she wasn't interested. So I cheated.

I put a bit of maple syrup in the bottom of her water dish. When she started to lick it ("Hey, mom! It's sweet!"), I started adding water. She drank faster and faster to get the sweet out of the bowl. When she stopped drinking because it was diluted to plain water, I just dumped the water and started with more syrup.

Once they got their sample from her bladder, I took her outside. We walked and she peed for nearly five minutes. You might want to keep this trick in mind if you need to fill up her bladder again for a future sample.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)