Swollen Muzzle, Swollen Glands On Neck, Trouble Swallowing

Guest Siriusly

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Siriusly

So far pretty good news! My husband called to give me a quick update while still at the vet office. The vet is 95% sure it is a neck injury. C1-C2 slipped disk. Treatment is to keep him crated for a week and treat with steroids and quiet. They were running tests to check for infection but he thinks the swelling is from the trauma. I have no idea how it would cause swelling in the muzzle :dunno but it sounds like he was pretty sure about it. We'll get the results of the bloodwork tomorrow. If there is no improvement the vet said it could be a tumor but he doesn't think so. Icky for the trauma and the pain my poor boy has been in but WOO HOO for a diagnosis!

95% positive is safe to say a diagnosis........thank goodness something to go on

Sending our best, hope he feels more comfortable very soon.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

SO GLAD you have some sort of answers, I hope Orion is feeling better VERY soon. Give big hugs to him from his brother Fenway, please! We still have our fingers and paws crossed for you.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest SusanP

Very encouraging news! Will you be switching vets after this?

Could it be he inured his neck after crashing into something with his face, banging his snoot and causing swelling (but you didn't mention bruising, so maybe this is a stupid theory). Unsolved mysteries drive me crazy...

Sending more healing thoughts to your baby.

Guest Siriusly
Very encouraging news! Will you be switching vets after this?

Could it be he inured his neck after crashing into something with his face, banging his snoot and causing swelling (but you didn't mention bruising, so maybe this is a stupid theory). Unsolved mysteries drive me crazy...

Sending more healing thoughts to your baby.

We think we figured out what caused it and, in hindsight, all the symptoms make sense (stupid hindsight!). We're pretty sure it started when he got plowed into by our other male, Falcor. Falcor is a tank and doesn't know how solid he is. For example, when we first got him it was a battle to get him to go off the deck to go to the bathroom. I took to blocking the steps, which has worked with every other grey I've had at my house. He decided since he couldn't get around me he'd go through me. I had a huge bruise and a lump on my shin for two solid months. I thought he broke it at first. He was dancing around all happy he got on the deck. <_< Anyway, about two weeks ago we were watching them play when Fal cut a corner and hit the other two. Orion yelped (but he's a baby and cries at anything) and looked a little dazed and my DH joked and said it looked like Orion got concussed. After a second he seemed fine and we didn't think about it again. We were watching so we know it was his head/neck area.

We also got the bloodwork back today and it looks like he did have an infection so he's getting a strong dose of antibiotics, too. An infection in his salivary glands would have made his muzzle swell and it can be caused by trauma to the area near the glands. He's got some nasty canned food that we're mixing with water that he's eating and he's still drinking well. Still looks like a bag of bones but we're seeing improvement.

All I have to say is "Whew" and thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement! :wub:

Guest Energy11

Yep... hindsight! But, when one is in a stressful situation, like you guys, one does not think about things like that till later! At least this makes sense, and sound like something that can be handled fairly easily! We ARE happy for you!

That sounds so much like the symptoms my girl Erin had years ago - swollen muzzle, difficulty swallowing, drooling. She also was pawing her face because it was uncomfortable. I tried to give her Benadryl that night but she could not swallow. The vet thought it was insect bite and gave her a shot of cortisone and that helped. Her face was back to normal within a day.

Oops - I just read the update. I'm glad your boy is doing much better.

Edited by Naty

:yay

I'm so glad Orion is feeling better! I know what you mean about the bag of bones, Fenway is super skinny and if he lost 5-10 lbs it would be BAD.

Orion, keep eating as much as you can and continue to improve for us, okay bud?

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest longdogs

Very scary when things are seriously wrong and you don't know why. They can go downhill so fast, but they can pick up fast too. Good luck.

Guest Siriusly

Update and it is not good. My DH is back at the vet with Orion this morning. He's still there but they think he has lupus. Yesterday morning I noticed some scabby bumps on the bridge of his nose. I also noticed that the bottom side of his nostils was a little pink and swollen. Well, into the evening and overnight, bumps popped up all around his nose and are starting to form around his eyes. He keeps pawing at his face and the bumps are bleeding. They think the slipped disk and subsequent lack of eating caused his liver to work over time and now his immune system is attacking him. They are doing a biopsy so we will know soon.

This is so hard. Just when we think we've got it covered, this comes up. :( I'll update when we know more.

p.s. I can't figure out how to update the title. Can someone direct me on where to find out how to do it or let me know how to do it?

So sorry to hear that Nicole! There are a few other members on GT with lupus dogs so once you get a solid diagnosis hopefully they can jump in with some advice.

To update the title of the thread, you need to be a GT supporter. If you are a supporter, you and choose "full edit" on your first post and update there.

Guest Energy11

I don't know how to update the original post either, but, wow.. soooo sorry to hear this!

I met someone at Mt. Hounds with a hound that has Lupus. She uses a lot of natural remidies, and the dog looked GOOD! Man, I wish I had her contact info! Good luck on this, and it might be a good idea to go online to look up canine Lupus. You might get a lot of good info. there, to help you deal with this. You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Guest Siriusly
So sorry to hear that Nicole! There are a few other members on GT with lupus dogs so once you get a solid diagnosis hopefully they can jump in with some advice.

To update the title of the thread, you need to be a GT supporter. If you are a supporter, you and choose "full edit" on your first post and update there.

Thanks Lauren. It's such a bummer since we thought we were heading toward a finish line. Now we're back to wait and see. I guess the vet wants to see if the new medications work before doing the biopsy. He'll go back in a week for a recheck and the biopsy will be done then if needed. And thanks for the tip on how to post!

On a note that made me laugh, my DH called to update me (I have to work this morning) and started the conversation with "Arty would DIE if she ever gets lupus." Of course I gave him a big "WHAT???" right back. Turns out we have to keep Orion out of the sun and he can't go outside from 12-4 unless he's in the shade or has on sunscreen. Artemis lives for laying in the sun and if we had to limit her it would break her heart! My softie DH's heart would break from having to keep it from her!

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Grace would be pretty upset if I couldn't let her sunbathe too! I read a bit about lupus after your post and it sounds really manageable. Please keep us updated on your little monkey.

Oh man. I too thought you had this beat. Many prayers for your sweet boy. I know if I had to limit some of mine from laying in the sun they'd pack up and leave home!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee