Poor Appetite-on Prednisone And Lukeran For Lymphoma

Fiona was diagnosed with Lymphoma a little over 2 months ago. She is on a regimen of prednisone and lukeran on alternate days. Her appetite has been waning a bit lately but over the past few days she won't eat her kibble she just picks out the extras from the bowl.

For a while she would eat the cheap dog food (looks like ground beef) so I mixed some with her regular kibble and boiled chicken or other meat. Lately she won't eat that either. Last night she ate 1 hot dog so I made more but she refused them.

This morning she had 2 hot dogs and some ground beef. She left all her kibble in the bowl. We have some sardines in the cupboard so will try that this evening. She won't eat rice or pasta; it seems too bland to tempt her.

I need some ideas please. I don't really care if she doesn't want kibble but I need her to eat something more that the occasional hot dog.

Guest Energy11

Cooked chicken, Salmon, ground beef, ...

They seem to LOVE that Ceaser's dog food, in those little tins, too. It is very rich, and expensive.

When Max was sick with his Osteo, HE stopped eating. I had to get a prescription for Science Diet A/D from the vet. It is rich in nutrients, and they LOVE IT! It is in small cat-food-tyoe cans, and it is for dogs that are sick or healing.

Good Luck and I hope things straighten out for you! D

Guest KRKWMU

Hi there. I'm at work now, but I'll fill you in on Bonnie's routine this afternoon when I get home. She had to take an anti-nasuea med everyday and that seemed to keep things under control. I'll go home and look up everything. She was on Leukeran for a while, but it wasn't every other day.

Give Fiona a hug from us! :grouphug

Try Cheerios and yogurt - when my boy was on chemo this was the only thing he would usually eat for the first day.

Spagetti and sprinkle cheese on top or mac n cheese

chunks of steak with bits of bacon mixed in

mashed white potatoes with cream cheese and butter - i used to roll this up like a hot dog and hold it in my hand and all my dogs have loved to nibble on this

fried eggs

I'm so sorry to see this for your Fiona. Would she eat some mild chicken noodle soup to settle her stomach and then some warm mashed potatoes with chicken pieces mixed in? Hobbes was on prednisone for many months and we would give him a Pepcid in the morning and at dinner time to protect his stomach. He always started his meals with a little chicken soup in a bowl - it seemed to be soothing.

Hugs to Fiona from our house.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest twilliams

I've been wondering about Fiona. We found that Skip would love one thing one day and then refuse to eat it the next. I think this was in part due to his changing sense of smell. We kept on hand a variety of cooked meats, salmon, eggs, evo canned food and basically gave him whatever appealed to him. There were times he wanted some very odd things. Is Fiona on any anti nausea meds and / or pepcid? Good luck to you and Fiona. Fingers and paws crossed!

Thanks for all the ideas. Like Skip, Fi will eat something one day and not the next.

Today I ran home at lunch and mixed sardines in her kibble. She ate the whole thing and licked the bowl.

We will try the chicken soup and mashed potatoes too. She is not on any nausea med but I will ask the vet for something. We have been giving antacid when she has a lot of gas.

Guest Energy11

Glad she liked the sardines and kibble, and at the whole thing! I'll bet that will help you get through the rest of your day at work, too! :-)

Guest KRKWMU

Glad Fiona ate well today for you. :)

It took us quite a while to figure out the right meds for Bonnie and get into a routine that worked for her (and us). We gave her a 10 mg Pepcid pill AM and PM and also Reglan (metoclopramide) AM and PM. Without these meds she wouldn't have eaten much at all. When Bonnie got the heavy chemo drugs, the vets also gave her an injection of Cerenia. That medication is kind of expensive and the injection hurt, so Bonnie hated it, but it did work miracles for her stomach and nausea.

Good luck. :goodluck We know how frustrating it is. Another thing that helped us was switching to a "human" bowl and sanitizing it on a daily basis (in the dishwasher). Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm so glad to see Fiona did eat her food today. It is very worrisome when you have a dog with no appetite and you are doing your best to take care of them. The medication for her stomach might make a big difference as well as adding new foods to tempt her. I also used to feed some vanilla yogurt as extra nutrition to Hobbes and make plain macaroni with some chicken added in as well.

Keep us posted on how your baby girl is doing.

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Thanks everyone. Fi ate well last night-I boiled some rice in chicken stock and gave her that with some ground beef and a little kibble. She ate it all up and her poop is much more firm today.

I just panic when she is off her food for more than one or two meals. I fear it means that we are losing ground but sometimes I guess it just means she has an upset tummy.

It's hard not worry when their appetite is off, especially when ill. It sounds like her stomach may have been off and she's enjoying the mild food you are giving her. Keep up the good work and many hugs to your girl.

She should be on stomach meds if she is on pred. Is she?

No she isn't on anything for upset tummy but I am going to discuss it with our vet today. Thanks everyone; this morning she didn't want much for breakfast but I am trying not to panic yet.

Oh boy. I've been there.

After pages and pages of suggestions.

This is what Polli would eat when not eating due to chemo.

Tripett. If you want to try it, I will over night a 2 cans to you. But please let me know ASAP.

Grilled chicken breast cut into little bites.

Boiled chicken breast cut into little bites.

merrick chicken pot pie canned. (burpdog sent me a case of assorted canned Merrick, and Polli loved the chicken pot pie.

I would try the chicken and the tripe. Make sure it's the Tripett.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Lots of prayers for your girl and hoping that she continues to eat.

Cerenia is a great drug as well as the Carafate for the upset stomach

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest snowberry
:grouphug Been there, got the T-shirt, so to speak. I found that kibble wasn't popular, and it had to be home-made food - I used to boil up a day or two's worth of ground meat or the cheapest chicken pieces with rice and vegetables. Other tempting breakfasts included a tub of cottage cheese, or a couple of scrambled eggs. I think the chemo drugs leave your dog more sensitive to the smell of anything artificial - I also swapped to a jug filter to filter his water, because he didn't want to drink tap water so much, and I was worried he was getting dehydrated - again, for a dog on pred this wasn't what anyone expected.

Oh boy. I've been there.

After pages and pages of suggestions.

This is what Polli would eat when not eating due to chemo.

Tripett. If you want to try it, I will over night a 2 cans to you. But please let me know ASAP.

Thanks so much for the offer Robin. Right now the sardines are doing the trick when nothing else will.

Weird thing is that Sammie the mutt is on prescription food for her kidneys. The vet warned me that a lot of dogs don't like the prescription food and (after happily eating it for several months) for the past two days Sammie has been leaving a lot of her kibble at breakfast.

And just who do you think runs over and eats the prescription food that most dogs don't like? Oh yes, it is my Fiona. I swear they just try to make me crazy.