Best Food For Sensitive Stomach?

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

This isn't for a greyhound, but he lives with greyhounds. I have a 14 month old Great Pyrenees that about every other month or so gets the Big D for a few days... including having accidents in the house. We've been to the vet and they've tested for several different things and pretty much say that we have a dog that has diarrhea :rolleyes: So right now, I'm going to see if a food made for sensitive stomachs or dogs with IBS will work. If not, then it's back to the vet to demand more tests.

For those of you that have dogs with sensitive stomachs/IBS/allergies/whatever, what kind of food did you find to be the best for your dog?

ETA: Right now, they are on a mixture of Premium Edge Salmon and Diamond Lamb and Rice (yes, Diamond... my greys do really well on it). We've done Taste of the Wild before too.

Right now, I'm looking at ingredients for Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, AvoDerm Natural Lamb & Brown Rice Baked formula, AvoDerm Natural Lamb & Brown Rice, Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice & Oatmeal for Sensitive Stomachs, ProPlan Extra Care Sensitive Skin and Stomach and Pinnacle Holistic Chicken and Toasted Oats.

Please know that our budget is pretty tight. DH is living in another state and I've had to pick up a second job just to keep our heads out of the water with two households.

----------------------------------

*Update 6/11*

Well, we haven't had any more explosive stuff since that first night and this morning was the first time he had a "solid" poop. He's still on a mixture of the rice and food, plus the yogurt and pumpkin. Actually, he's never "totally" firm and this one was pretty good for him. Not one that would bounce off a sidewalk, but definitely firm.

Thanks for all your suggestions... we are going to follow up on everything.

Edited by savvyprchick

Guest kydie

I have a GSP that has had IBD all his life, and have been on many meds, I stopped that and went to yogurt in each meal and chamomile tea, in each meal, I brew it and pour it over his food, this takes longer to work than meds, but I could not stand the "stoned" look he had on the meds. add plain old cannned pumpkin to the food you feed, I use taste of the wild salmon

One of my hounds has allergy issues; both have sensitive guts. Mine have done extremely well on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. (A few years ago I added some Wellness Whitefish & Sweet Potato to their diet - but they do just fine on Pro Plan alone).

No beef, wheat, corn, or soy - including biscuits. I also avoid chicken as some sensitive or allergic dogs can have a problem with it.

Purina will mail you a few coupons ($2 off or similar) if you call - but you have to call (I think they will issue coupons every six weeks??). Every little bit helps as the Pro Plan SS&S is rarely on sale.

I would probably go easy on the grains. Dogs, people - grains can wreak havoc on either.

While some dog foods are less expensive than others; unresolved medical issues = big vet bills. I spent a fortune at the allergist. :weep You shouldn't have to spend top dollar for food. Pro Plan is probably in the middle somewhere. I also add some mixed vegetables (cooked frozen green beans, peas, carrots, broccoli, spinach, kale, etc. - no more than a quarter cup) to their supper. Although dogs don't needs the added vegetables, they are low-fat, adds fiber for increased fullness (if you're trying to stretch the food budget), allows for easy bowel movements. My pups are never gasbags. Vegetables are relatively inexpensive. Also, I sometimes add a little cooked white or sweet potato as well.

Good luck. Hope you find the right combo for your pupper (such pretty dogs).

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I might try eliminating grains and use a kibble that has a novel protein. Potato and duck or something like that. Will be more expensive, but you may have to feed less.

Also, have you tried giving probiotics regularly? I might actually go there first. I get mine online and it really helps Neyla. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the name of the one I use. I just give it once a day in the morning with her other meds. If she doesn't get it for a few days, I can tell. The stomach gurgling starts and the resource guarding with the other dogs is stepped up a few notches.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Try the Natural Balance limited ingredient "Venison and Sweet potato". Or they also have a "Lamb and Rice" and "Duck and Sweet Potato" both of which are also limited ingredient. Solid Gold has a Beef and Barley that is also limited ingredient.

I've been picking up the Vension and Sweet Potato for fosters that have "sensitive tummies" and it seems to work well. The cost of Natural Balance is also reasonable (about 1.40 per lb or so on the larger bag)

Edited to add --

Also, if you keep receipts and UPC code you can get money for your animal charity -- see link

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/charities.html

Edited by MaryJane

Ryan can't do lamb, chicken, wheat, soy and I just avoid corn (hard to find wheat, soy, lamb and poultry free stuff that does have corn in it :lol)

Jet can't really handle lamb or chicken

Beef or fish wheat free foods work at our house.

After trying many different kibbles, we went to Iams Premium Protection with some mashed sweet potato added in. So far, so good. And I am on a tight budget as well - the price of Iams is fine by me! :D

I also give him a skinned chicken quarter about once a week. Seems to help keep his teeth sparkling and can't hurt with the poop.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

The cost of Natural Balance is also reasonable (about 1.40 per lb or so on the larger bag)

I tried that with Rex to no avail, but $1.40 a pound is really not very reasonable in my book....

You're right - I should not have made the conclusion that it is a reasonable cost. Thank you for catching that .. :)

I should have noted that it is one of the few dog foods that has no chicken or animal fat (chicken?) as one of it's ingredients. The only other chicken free dog food that I found with a lower price was the Petsmart brand Advantage Lamb and Rice and that one came in at about $1 per lb. All the rest of the dog foods that were chicken free and limited ingredient started at about $1.40 per lb. and went up over $2.00 per lb.

So .... what I should have said is that there are not many "limited ingredient" dog foods out there and that the Natural Balance falls in the middle price range.

Guest savvyprchick

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try the Diamond Naturals chicken first since the other two are doing well on Diamond... but I'll be watching Lulu to see if her belly goes red from being allergic to it. She's had chicken stuff here and there and has not had a problem in the last year. I'm also adding a tablespoon of yogurt to get good bacteria in bellies and a scoop of pumpkin that will hopefully firm things up.

If that doesn't work, then I'll be trying Iams and a few other things. This will take quite a while as he usually gets the explosive, can't-hold-it Big D once every two months or so. So I'll really have to have him be fine for 4+ months before I consider one certain food/regimen working.

Edited by savvyprchick

If it's only a few days every other month or so, it probably isn't something he gets every day. Could be a worm cycle, something he gets into in the yard, a particular treat or add-in ......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm also adding a tablespoon of yogurt to get good bacteria in bellies and a scoop of pumpkin that will hopefully firm things up.

Not to be a PITA, but a T of yogurt isn't really enough to make a difference. I would suggest trying a probiotic supplement instead, or do a larger amount of kefir, which tends to be higher in the good bacteria. It's probably cheaper to just do the supplement.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."