Severe Intestinal Bleeding--any Experience?

Guest alyssap99

Guest alyssap99

I've done a brief search of the forums, but thought I would also start a topic to see if anyone can lend advice or share similar experiences. My 11 yr old greyhound (Greta) has been having on and off rectal bleeding for a while now, probably about six months. Occasionally it was a little severe but always clotted up quickly, and then she'd be fine for a while.

Last week after walking her I noticed that it looked like something was protruding from her rectum. That was clearly where the blood was coming from. I kind of pushed it back in (gross, I know) and called the vet. Neither my vet nor a second vet who I was referred to could feel anything upon examination, and suspected it was a minor prolapse due to constipation.

That seemed like a reasonable explanation--I should also mention that she is acting perfectly normal, no vomiting, normal looking stools, eating well, high energy level, not drinking too much water, etc. But then last night after her walk, she started bleeding again. And bleeding, and bleeding. She was passing huge blood clots. It was pretty terrifying. We rushed her to the emergency animal hospital in the area and they admitted her overnight for tests.

The vet on call suspects a type of malignancy. I wouldn't be surprised by this, due to her age, but I think it's odd that she isn't exhibiting any other signs of cancer. Even yesterday she seemed perfectly content and oblivious to the large amounts of blood pouring out of her.

Her RBC count came back normal and apparently they have stopped the bleeding for now. Next up is chest x-rays and an ultrasound, so we are basically just in wait-and-see mode. As many of you know, this is the absolute hardest place to be. I am not in denial that she's an older dog but I hate that she's in a strange, antiseptic hospital environment. :( Your advice would be most appreciated. This is a very hard day.

Have any of you had a similar experience with your dog?

Edited by alyssap99

Guest alyssap99

thanks. she's at the biggest vet hospital in the area so i think they are familiar with greyhounds. i know that can be a tricky thing for some vets.

Guest Energy11

Unfortunately, it DOES sound like a malignancy. The clots and bleeding indicate this, plus, of course, the protrusion. I am sorry to hear this!

Dasher 13.5, started with stomach/GI symptoms one night. Then, started pooping cranberry colored liquid with clots. His extremities were cold, and he went into shock. E-vets suspected a maligancy, which caused his severe blood loss and GI bleed.

Hopefully, your baby hasn't got anything that bad, and she IS in the right place, as they can replace any lost fluids, and give her a transfusion of necessary.

We are praying for you and sending good thoughts! Dee and The Five :grouphug:goodluck:hope:candle

Guest alyssap99

did dasher have any symptoms beforehand? i am prepared for the worst and am trying to be thankful she has not been in any discomfort, and doesn't even seem to be in any pain now.

Keeping your pup in my prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest alyssap99

just talked to the vet. decent news! i hesitate to say "good" because nothing is definite yet. but blood work, chest xrays, ultrasound all came back OK. they are thinking that she had a polyp that burst, and since greyhounds tend to be bleeders that explains all the gore. of course they can't be sure, but nobody felt or saw any type of mass. they'll do surgery tomorrow to remove the polyp and check for any others.

her spleen was enlarged but the vet wasn't overly concerned about that. there were no visible masses or anything. she said that greyhounds tend to have enlarged spleens--anyone know anything about this?

thanks for all the good thoughts. this is an unusual situation for sure but hopefully it will help someone else out. i'll update again when i know more.

Oh, I pray that the "good" news carries over to post surgical news tomorrow. Please keep us posted and in the meantime, sending prayers and hugs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest poopsie1

Praying for another "good" update for Greta. As for the enlarged spleen, I just went through an episode with my Stanley and an enlarged spleen. I sent an email to OSU and they responded that yes greyhounds do have spleens larger than other breeds. Stanley is now back to his normal, goofy self so I hope this sets your mind at ease. Keeping my fingers crossed for your baby. :goodluck

Guest alyssap99

good to know. greyhounds have so many anomalies but it's good that the vets taking care of her are aware of that. i feel great that all of her tests came back fine, though this is turning into a VERY expensive polyp.

Prayers for Greta. She should feel much better after the surgery and recovery time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest alyssap99

just to close the loop on this (for now), greta is home! she's high as a kite but the surgery went well. they're fairly confident that it was a polyp that caused the massive bleeding, and were able to remove it. they didn't see anything else that looked worrisome. they're going to biopsy the polyp but generally they're benign and in any case it's out now!

i hope this thread will be helpful in case anyone else has a similar experience with their greyhound. the amount of blood she passed was horrifying and i hope it will reassure others that the outcome may not necessarily be dire.

Glad she is home and hope that really is the end of things! Let us know what the biopsy turns out to be, OK? And wishing your pupper easy healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Great news that they were able to remove the polyp, and that they are fairly sure that was the cause of her bleeding! I'm hoping for quick healing and a full recovery!

FL

Guest alyssap99

just an update on this. the vet called today--the biopsy came back as a plasmacytoma. i am not viewing this as bad news--from what she told me, the main issue here is re-growth of the tumor, not spreading. i am also reassured by the fact that she had a battery of tests done while she was hospitalized and everything looked good. i'm going to talk to my regular vet about this tomorrow to get her opinion on how to proceed. it may just be a case of watching for more bleeding.

the vet did say this was very unusual and she hadn't seen it before. thanks again for all of your support and advice! greta has healed wonderfully from her surgery and is now back to her usual energetic self!

Glad your pup is feeling well! Let us know what the next step is, OK?