Cosequin As A Dietary Supplement

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Thoughts? My vet and I discussed starting this as basically a vitamen supplement to be proactive when it comes to joint health as Soul ages.

Pros? Cons? I'd love your input!

Guest Energy11

I personally don't use it, but a good friend, with four greys, three of them seniors, swears by it. It IS a good product. I think you can get it online cheaper than the vets, though. Good luck! D

Guest SoulsMom

Yes, my vet recommend that I do KNOT buy it from them :lol

We were talking more along the lines of using it NOW to prevent any joint pain as Soul ages. I was wondering if it really is effective as a proactive measure :dunno

Guest Scouts_mom

My two girls get it daily. They are 13.5 and 8.5 years old and I do think it helps them be more flexible. I get it at Petco which charges approximately half what my vet wanted for it.

I did use it for several years before Patrick developed arthritis. I don't know for sure that it helped, but I think it delayed the onset and the need to turn to medications.

I'd say, if you can afford it, do it. I order it online (can't remember where now), and it's a lot cheaper. Also, there's a new version out, but my vet recommended saving my money, she thinks the original cosequine is just as good.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Yes, my vet recommend that I do KNOT buy it from them :lol

We were talking more along the lines of using it NOW to prevent any joint pain as Soul ages. I was wondering if it really is effective as a proactive measure :dunno

Look at the Greyhound Gang stuff--good prices, and proceeds help with their efforts! Plus--no filler junk!!!

The vet and I just discussed this today; there is no hard evidence that it really does much of anything, but there is NO evidence that it's harmful, so she said to go for it with George.

I've asked myown rheumatologist about it for myself--he actually laughed, then said not to waste my money.

I'm using it for George, and used it on Kramer. I can't tell you if it did anything (Kramer had two major ortho surgeries), but it never hurt so I kept it up!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Love Cosequin! It is one of the only standardized joint supplements out there but, it does come at a price. I buy the human version of Cosequin at Cost Co--it's called Cosemin--same manufacturer, the only thing that's a tiniest bit difference is the Magnesium---even my vet buys it--yup--it's cheaper at Cost Co then what she could buy Cosequin wholesale. The last time I bought it it was $65 for 250 capsules. :) Oh--watch out for Cost Co coupons--it was just $17 off last month!

Guest greytbookert

Hey Amber! I use the Greyhound Gang's glucosamine and MSM for all dogs that enter my home, no matter their age. I know I typically take the older ones in but even when T and Eric were youngsters, they got the regimine. As they age, I typically will add in Vitamin C, chondroitin, and then if symptoms persist or we have a really old hound, like Mama Ro, we add in the CMO.

Guest Lacie
Look at the Greyhound Gang stuff--good prices, and proceeds help with their efforts! Plus--no filler junk!!!

I second this! I actually have been using Greyhound Gang stuff on my Schnauzer before I even was adopted by a Greyhound. :thumbs-up

I started my whippet on Cosequin after a partial carpal fusion surgery in 2004. He is just starting to show signs of arthritis now - he'll be 11 in June. I believe it delayed the onset of the arthritis. The vet switched us from Cosequin to Flexadin (same company, slightly different formulation). This year I also started to give him Wobenzym and Zeel daily and they seem to help as well.

Quick question about the Cosamin: do you need a prescription to purchase it at Costco, or is it OTC? I want to start my grey Arlie, who will turn 8 this year, on a joint supplement proactively, and the Cosamin sounds like a possibility.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest SoulsMom

My vet said it's OTC and he recommends it over any other brand out there.

Thanks for the info about the GHG stuff too!

Guest kydie

Have used glucosamine on all my older dogs, for many years, I don't know if it helps, I don't know that vets know either, but it won't hurt them, and not one of my dogs ever told me they don't want to take it!!!!!!!!!!! I think in medician human or animal supplements are are not given enough credit, after all both make money from selling us drugs

Fletcher has been on Fresh Factors for a few years, and recently started Joint Health. I've started Molly also, as they are both now 7, even though she has no symptoms. I used Cosequin for Sugar, her arthritis was much worse, and for the last year or so, Dasequin. It's made by the Cosequin people, but has added "stuff", and is prescription only. It was very helpful when her arthritis and spinal problems got really bad.

I know glucosamine helping arthritis is considered anecdotal, but it has really made a difference for me!

Quick question about the Cosamin: do you need a prescription to purchase it at Costco, or is it OTC? I want to start my grey Arlie, who will turn 8 this year, on a joint supplement proactively, and the Cosamin sounds like a possibility.

No script required--Cost Co sells it OTC :)

I've asked myown rheumatologist about it for myself--he actually laughed, then said not to waste my money.

The problem, in my opinion, with the human study showing it to be unaffective is they didn't use an outside tested form of it, so who knows what the test participants actually got, in what levels.

My mom's rheumatologist still recommends it--I figure if you can afford it, it can't hurt.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.