Hello From The South Of England

Guest Im_Slippy

Guest Im_Slippy

Hello everyone. My name is Ryan, I'm 22, from England. Me and my family have been homing Retired and non racing greyhounds from the south of England for 12-13 years now.

Here is a bit about my Greyhound Story

I was very young when we got our first Greyhound, a brindle boy called Lance, this soon became two with a lovely bitch called Rhona, she had scars all over her body and part of her tail missing, but what a beautiful girl she was.

We lost Lance after only having him for a year, after what was a suspected break of his back and he lost the complete use of his back legs. As you all know most Greys love to be around their own kind, and it wasn't long before Rhona started to become pretty down about her mate not being round. Needless to say we went straight back to the Retired Greyhound Home, where we were greeted with a giant white and brindle male called Rio, who was new in after being found abandoned on a motorway and was not doing well in the kennels. We took him home straight away without knowing anything about him, but it turned out out to be a brilliant decision. Rhona and Rio got on brilliantly and they lived happily together for years until ,at the age of 10, Rhona fell very ill and sadly passed away.

We had Rio on his own until the age of 13 where he passed away after failing to beat off pneumonia, mostly due to his old age.

Around 4 months past with us having no Greyhounds, which was too long. Around April 2007 we went on a sponsored walk for Greyhounds, looking for a new Greyhound to take home with us. This was where we met Kiss, a less than two year old white and black Pup who was in a right mess. He was incredibly nervous, and was shaking with fear. We couldn't bare it, so we decided we had the the right home to help this appallingly treated boy.

He had a lot of issues, fear aggression being one of the biggest. We thought the best thing for Kiss would be a confident greyhound companion. So we adopted a two year old white and brindle bitch called Liffey. These two adored each other, and after 7 months of patience with Kiss he started to show the true Greyhound nature that was in him. A playful pup who loved his food and toys and now became excited for his walks whereas before he would just cower.

At this time my Grandmother who also had an older Greyhound called Bonnie, could no longer look after her because of illness. We were unsure if we could take Bonnie as we had never had 3 greyhounds before. It seems the decision was made for us, as one day while out on a walk Kiss had a stroke and lost the use of his bag legs. They said they could send him to a neurologist, but it was unlikely they could do anything and with him being a very nervous dog, we knew this was not for kiss. We had to make the heart wrenching decision to put him to sleep.

This left us with 3 year old Liffey and the obvious decision of taking my Grandmothers Bitch, Bonnie. Unusual how these things work out.

They were brilliant together and the younger Liffey bought the life out of Bonnie, they used to play so rough together.

Unfortunately more bad news was round the corner as after only 5 months of taking on Bonnie she became ill and passed away at the age of 10.

This time around we wasted no time in going and getting a companion for Liffey. A large blue and white Male called Diego, aged 4. Two soon became 3 as we adopted an average sized Black Bitch called May aged 5.

These 3 now live happily together and I am pleased to say we hope to be adopting another Greyhound next week, a 9 year old bitch called Twinkle.

Sorry for the long winded opening post, I was on a bit of roll once I started writing.

Here are pictures of Diego, May and possibly our new addition to the pack Twinkle.

med12110322253.jpg

med12177800353.jpg

med12421520583.jpg

I hope to post some personal pictures of our dogs soon.

Welcome from Maine, USA!! :wave:welcome2 I loved reading your introductory post!

I'm originally from London :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BigPercyInMa

Welcome from Massachusetts, USA. Originally from SW Germany.

Great looking pups you got (including the one you might get) :) But where is a picture of Liffey???

Guest loubieblue

Hi from up north in West Yorkshire, gorgeous hounds! Diego is stunning ( but I've always had a soft spot for the blue and white ones lol)

Guest Im_Slippy
Welcome from Massachusetts, USA. Originally from SW Germany.

Great looking pups you got (including the one you might get) :) But where is a picture of Liffey???

I forgot I had some other pictures when I first posted this. I have posted a picture of Liffey in my other thread here http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=230209

Thanks for the welcomes.

hi from gloucestershire! my irish millie's great grandfather on her mother's side (and great great great grandfather on her dad's side) was "i'm slippy"! i suspect your user name is somehow connected. :) i also see she's related to diego via sandman AND whisper wishes (who was her grandfather on both sides!)...and i see three or more others in both their pedigrees!

Millie's Greyhound data linky

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Hi there, we live in Ealing and have a Walthamstow hound. I have to say, the picture of the blue/white dog just melt my heart - adorable! :wub:

Guest Im_Slippy
hi from gloucestershire! my irish millie's great grandfather on her mother's side (and great great great grandfather on her dad's side) was "i'm slippy"! i suspect your user name is somehow connected. :) i also see she's related to diego via sandman AND whisper wishes (who was her grandfather on both sides!)...and i see three or more others in both their pedigrees!

I'm Slippy is one of my favourite Greyhound racing names. That dog seems to appear on a lot of Pedigrees.

Again, thanks for all the welcomes.

Hi Ryan and pups! Welcome to GT from Maryland, USA!

Where in S. England are you? I love England & get over that way as often as I can (which unfortunately isn't very often!)...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I'm Slippy is one of my favourite Greyhound racing names. That dog seems to appear on a lot of Pedigrees.

Again, thanks for all the welcomes.

Wlecome. I, too, was curious about your user name.

I'm Slippy is the sire of a very productive American sire, Fortress*, so there are lots of pups here in the states who are related to I'm Slippy, including my Daisy (Positive Delta).

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Im_Slippy
Hi Ryan and pups! Welcome to GT from Maryland, USA!

Where in S. England are you? I love England & get over that way as often as I can (which unfortunately isn't very often!)...

Hampshire.

I was taking too long thinking of a username, so I just went with Im Slippy.

Edited by Im_Slippy

Hi Ryan, Welcome to GreyTalk from Maine (in New England)! :welcome2

It was nice to read about your greyhounds - please keep us posted on your future greyhound adoption and more photos please!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hello and Welcome from Rimouski

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

Welcome from Virginia.

Your name really caught my eye. My first grey was "Slippy's Molly" one of I'm Slippy's grand-daughters.

It will be neat, that when I see your posts I will think of her.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Hey Ryan, welcome aboard. My, very sadly missed, Bobby had the racing name Penn Slippy and was a great grandson of I'm Slippy. It is a really cool name. As are your hounds.

Edited by Plymgreys

I used to think Dara O'Briain was funny. Now I know better.

Hello and welcome from Bedfordshire, but a frequent visitor to Hampshire (Basingstoke actually).

This is Frisby and he's an I'm Slippy great grandson too.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=Senahel+...&birthland=