Adopting Male Vs. Female

Guest G0neGrey

Guest ChelseyQ

when i was younger and got our first grey she was a girl who was perfect, and now i have a handsome boy of my own. to me it didnt matter if i adopted a male or female. but when i went to go get my first grey on my own i had a choice between 2 males and a female. i chose my boy because he was the one who pretty much picked me and we clicked imediatly, so he was the one that i took home with me. if i were you i would just who you click with and the one who fits your life style. Goodluck!!!

Guest FullMetalFrank

We have one of each; and Heather's assessment is just about spot on as far as the basic tendencies go! But they are all individuals, for sure, my girl can be a snuggle bug, and my boy sleeps only on his bed and will not come up on the furniture and snuggle with us. He does walk over for lovies a lot, though!

I was convinced I'd always have great big boys after my first two hounds; then when we wanted to add another, and knowing that Frank might have serious issues with another male (he has in the past; not a typical male greyhound trait) we opted for a girl, and she's a little one. Many advantages to a petite female, it turns out! You can lift her into the tub; she jumps right in the SUV (well, so does Frank but Chels makes it seem so much easier!) and last but not least I can dress her in frilly pink collars and paint her nails, LOL! Which reminds me, I need to take her polish off before her lure coursing trials this weekend so the other dogs don't tease her ;)

Guest knitkass

I've only had my one female, and she's a big girl, normally weighing in at around 70 lbs. She's got personality to win anyone over, and was quite the counter surfer when she was feeling better. I've met some males who are nearly as spunky, but there's just something about the females I've met, they're all just such monkeys.

Guest budsmom

I have one of each, and they're pretty close to Heather's description. Just follow your heart and you'll do fine - and BTW, I heartily recommend one of each!

Guest Jaybird

I'm glad I found this thread!! I'm having the same issues.

We are about to adopt our second Grey and I my dh is insisting that we get a female because Cash is so Alpha and we do not want him to loose his alpha status, but all the advice we are getting is that a female could cause issues with out 6 year old daughter.

I'm so confused.....

Guest eaglflyt

I think temperment depends on the individual dog, not based on their gender. There may be generalizations, but they are just that ... nonspecific generalizations. Each dog is different with their own personality.

We have a 21 month old female. She's a joy, comes to snuggle frequently, very tolerant of anything happening around her, loves her mini dachshund and elderly Aussie house siblings, learns easily and loves to please. She is not stubborn or bossy, at least at this point, and I can't imagine a dog being any calmer or easy going.

I feel both males and females can be delightful. It just depends on the individual dog and the owner, too.

Guest gennygrey

I have always owned male greyhounds. I have my first female greyhound and she is greyt. She must not be a typical female, because she is so laid back, and has no desire to be alpha. She is also very lovely dovey. Everyone told me when I got a female that they are more independent. (lol she must me a male in disguise). I am not sure if there is a difference in them because of gender. I am not really a person's opinion you can count, since this is my first female. But whatever greyhound you choose I am sure will bring you years of joy and happiness. By the way, you should just adopt two, one of each. You will chip and you will not be able to help yourself. Just get a male and female and then you will not have to choose. HA HA. Good luck.

Ad naseum, give me the biggest boy there is. Every one over 80# I've met has been so laid back they were horizontal and easy going as the day is long. Nothing to prove to anyone. I'm sure there are laid back wonderful girls that are suck up love muffins, I just haven't had one come through.

Elaine told me long go that two boys will figure things out, shake paws and get over it but two girls can carry a grudge for a long time.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I personally prefer male pets--I don't know, they just seem to enjoy being pets more than females! That goes for dogs, cats, horses, and birds!

Any size dog can get arthritis. Any BREED dog can get arthritis. Don't let that be a factor in your decision!

Above all--don't take the first dog that becomes available unless you think it's the right dog for you!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LindsaySF

I like the males because I like large dogs and the males tend to be larger. But I choose based on personality. That's how I ended up with Honey the midget. :lol

I think temperment depends on the individual dog, not based on their gender. There may be generalizations, but they are just that ... nonspecific generalizations. Each dog is different with their own personality.

Agreed. There are some stereotypes, but every dog is different. Just so for a personality that you like, let the gender and color come after. :)

Teagan is more independent and likes to be left alone on his bed, Honey is very affectionate and likes to cuddle. Teagan has had some alpha issues with the other dogs, Honey is submissive to all of the dogs in my house.

Elaine told me long go that two boys will figure things out, shake paws and get over it but two girls can carry a grudge for a long time.

Tell Teagan that. He has decided that he hates Aidan and they never quite worked things out. He's holding a grudge big time, poor Aidan. When I had two female dogs before these guys they had the occasional squabble, but they always worked it out. Go figure.

~Lindsay~

Guest kydie

I have a male grey, for all the female reasons above, long time all breed dog rescuer here, and can tell you females of any breed can test your nerves, they have good points, bossy, keep everyone in line, funny, you can see them thinking "do I want to do that, maybe not" more protective of their turff, don't know if I will ever take another female again , but that isw just me,