Adopting Male Vs. Female

Guest G0neGrey

Guest G0neGrey

Greetings!! (Very new to the site, just found out about Greytalk yesterday)

I do not yet own a greyhound. I was set to receive a 4 yr. old white and brindle ticked female weighing 56lbs this Sunday. Unfortunately, she just recently developed a limp and needs to see a vet. :( I was informed that if the situation ended up being severe, the adoption agency would recommend another hound.

Their alternative is a 5 yr. old red brindle male weighing 74lbs. I wanted to ask if there were any obvious trade-offs between owning a female versus owning a male. I've read that females are more independent and males are more tolerant (tolerant of what?).

I'm not too bias when it comes down to it, I really just want to get my greyhound. ;] But I wanted to see if there were any trade-offs. Is a larger greyhound more prone to osteroarthritis? Does the difference in age by a year make that much of a difference? Are males more aggressive with toys?

Any advice would be helpful in making my decision.

Thanks!!

Guest KennelMom

This is just my experience but...

The girls tend to be more independent, bossy, determined...."spicy" is a good way to put it. The boys tend to be more laid back and easy going...more velcroy-dependent on their humans than the girls. If you were to ask a male greyhound and female greyhound if they wanted to go to lunch, a male would respond: Oh yes, please yes. It would make my day to spend time with you. Whatever you'd prefer. A girl would respond: Have your people call my people. They'll have to check my calendar.

I wouldn't let age affect my decision one iota. I've not seen a correlation between size and arthritis. Our tiny 50 lb girl Annie had it pretty bad, but our big ol' 70 lb guy Elvis never really did.

I've seen more "aggression" from female greyhounds. The slur form of the word bitch came about for a reason. ;) It sounds like I've been hard on the girls, but really girl greyhounds can be just as easy as the males and there are individuals along the entire personality spectrum in both sexes. I tend to prefer the females b/c I tend to prefer a dog that keeps me on my toes.

The girls tend to be more independent, bossy, determined...."spicy" is a good way to put it. The boys tend to be more laid back and easy going...more velcroy-dependent on their humans than the girls. If you were to ask a male greyhound and female greyhound if they wanted to go to lunch, a male would respond: Oh yes, please yes. It would make my day to spend time with you. Whatever you'd prefer. A girl would respond: Have your people call my people. They'll have to check my calendar.

I wouldn't let age affect my decision one iota. I've not seen a correlation between size and arthritis. Our tiny 50 lb girl Annie had it pretty bad, but our big ol' 70 lb guy Elvis never really did.

I've seen more "aggression" from female greyhounds. The slur form of the word bitch came about for a reason. ;) It sounds like I've been hard on the girls, but really girl greyhounds can be just as easy as the males and there are individuals along the entire personality spectrum in both sexes. I tend to prefer the females b/c I tend to prefer a dog that keeps me on my toes.

What KennelMom said is so true that I don't need to add anything else.....

My personnel preference is for the big gentle males.

KennelMom <== :rofl

Those are the tendencies. Remember that there are plenty of exceptions -- attentive, affectionate girls and standoffish boys. There are also big girls and small boys.

To me, smallish girl advantages include:

- Easier to teach stairs! I swear I'll never have a >55 lb. dog again .... :lol :lol :lol

- Easier to get in and out of the SUV. The girls almost always jump. The boys often don't.

And big boy advantages include:

- They'll pee anywhere, on leash or not. They don't have to find the perfect spot.

- If they're big enough or you're not too tall, you don't have to bend over to pet the dog!

Really 6 of one, half dozen of the other, and impossible to say how individual dogs will turn out. I've had both and would be hard put to choose if I could only have one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MAXNAV

I was originally going to adopt a female brindle (because I'm the only female in my house and I'd have a buddy, and that's the only reason), but ended up with a black 5 yr old male. He's the best boy ever! I met him at a Meet & Greet, then again the next day at an open house, and that's all she wrote. Personally, for me, it was which dog connected to me and vise versa. My friends have males, some younger and some older. The younger ones are definitely full of spirit. Good luck finding the perfect pup for you.

Edited by MAXNAV

Guest lizmego

We adopted our first greyhound, Effee, when she was 4.5 years old, Effee is now 12. We have since fostered many ages and sizes, as well as failed fostering with Power at age 5 (now 11) and Dell at age 5 (now 11). Our next adoption will only be age 5 and older. I don't really have a preference with the sex, Effee is the most lovey, attentive greyhound, as is Power. Dell is/was a spook, he's gotten much better over time with his timidness.

Good luck!

I don't worry about age, sex, or anything like that.

I am more concerned whether the dog fits me and my family. There are some stereotypical sex difference as mentioned above, but you can easily find females who fit the male typing and males who fit the female one. :)

Just go with your feelings on it and it won't steer you wrong.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Let me first say that I have owned female Labradors for 35 years, and never wanted a male dog.....but.....then came Jamey, my male Greyhound. After him came my tiny female very bossy greyhound. Then 2 more male Greyhounds. Now my opinion has changed and I would definitely own male Greyhounds. The males we have are lovebugs, the female not so much so, she just bosses everyone around. KennelMom said it well. Big, gentle males are my choice now! As a matter of fact, our biggest male, about 80 lb, who we adopted in January has become a pet therapy dog!

Tin and the zoo

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Pipi5

Like Heather I'm going by my own experience & I haven't read the other responses.

I love the females, they small & petite, but I really prefer the males. To me the males are more attentive. I have 2 females & 2 males now, at one point I had 3 females & 6 males. The males like being in the same room, the girls would go off to my bedroom & sleep. Snowy was real reserved & if I came in the room, she'd either leave or go get in the closet.

If I get up from the computer, the boys follow me.

My first greyhound was a female & she was very "velcro" but my 2nd greyhound who was a female wasn't.

I found that the males are more protective also.

Guest Energy11

The girls tend to be more independent, bossy, determined...."spicy" is a good way to put it. The boys tend to be more laid back and easy going...more velcroy-dependent on their humans than the girls. ]

I agree with KennelMom on the girls being bossy and all! My Goldie is "The Pack Princess," and rules the pack. My boys, all BIG boys, are closer to me and more laid back. The girls are closer to my DH.

Whether you choose a male or female, it will be a wonderful experience. They say ... the dog picks you. Maybe just go to the adoption kennel, and spend time with both males and females, all sizes, colors, and you will most likely find Mr. or Ms. Right! :-) Good Luck and keep us posted! D

I've only owned a female. Nevada was very laid back, but a real character. She was the ultimate love-bug & velcro dog. I can't imagine another any sweeter....

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

The big goofy boys make me weak in the knees. They are usually super lovey and velcroy. The girls tend to be a little more independent. And bratty. :lol I've not had trouble with boys marking, I've had more trouble potty training the girls. With fostering, I've had more boys over the years than girls, and I'd say that while I would love another boy, I'd take any greyhound I bonded with. They are all great dogs. :)

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Guest CarolN

My first greyhound is a boy, and he's a doll. Everything you'd want in a pet really. I have had 5 cats, and only one is a female. She fits all the girl stereotypes. She is a lovebug to us, but has zero tolerance of any of the boys. She's a total diva, and always gets her way. It's cute and funny with one, but I wouldn't want 2 girls battling for the queen bee title. All the boys just get along, are fun, easy going, and loving.

Guest pwsopk

I have two boys and my friends ( one couple and one single lady) have two female greyhounds perspectively. I can tell you that I don't have house training or fighting problem like what my friends have. But again, it depends on the hounds' personality.

I agree with everybody! Ya'll said it so well. What I have found for me is that though there are differences, each dog is so uniquely special it is irrelevant whether the're a girl or boy- so I prefer BOTH. :wub:

Guest TBSFlame

I believe it depends on the dog. I currently have 3 girls and 1 boy. I have had 2 boys and 3 girls. I can't tell much difference. Memmie is my lovebug. She is always touching me. My girls follow me everywhere I go but Flame often will be sleeping in the back bedroom alone.

I believe it depends on the dog. I currently have 3 girls and 1 boy. I have had 2 boys and 3 girls. I can't tell much difference. Memmie is my lovebug. She is always touching me. My girls follow me everywhere I go but Flame often will be sleeping in the back bedroom alone.

I don't worry about age, sex, or anything like that.

I am more concerned whether the dog fits me and my family. There are some stereotypical sex difference as mentioned above, but you can easily find females who fit the male typing and males who fit the female one. :)

Just go with your feelings on it and it won't steer you wrong.

I agree with the above. I don't like stereotypes. We have three female greys. They all get along greys, love to cuddle and are always in the same room with us. Our girls are all over the map when it comes to size too. Our girl Bonny is very tall and slender at 75 lbs. She often gets mistaken for a male.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest MySkye

I think just allow the dog to pick you!

I have 5 females and 1 male. I have ZERO issues with any of the girls. We have an annual "she is looking at me" snarl, but that is always quickly managed. My male is happy and well adjusted as well. Sometimes I think it is a toss of the die, along with the dogs personality and how the humans handle the house and manage the dogs.

Congratulations!

Warmly,

Lori

Guest fatesrelease

At first I thought I may want this particular girl I had seen at the rescue I planned on adopting from. Then I read on here about how wonderful the boys are and how girls are often adopted before boys because they are cute and small so I decided I wanted to adopt a boy instead. Well, when I went I met a few boys and girls and ended up taking home that girl I had fallen in love with over the internet. I don't regret my decision, as some day I would love to have the chance to own a boy as well.

Sarah is a sweet funny girl. She loves pets and rubs, treats, following me around the house, walks, and attention from anyone! Yes, sometimes she can be a bit of a grouch but we rarely see that from her.

Do what you think is right! Don't base your decision off the sex, but off the grey that connects with you. Good luck!

Guest G0neGrey

Thank you all for the good advice!! I enjoyed reading the posts and will put up pics once I get her....

or him...

;]

My girl is one of the most velcro-y dogs you will find around. But she's also independent and determined. And she lifts her leg and marks more than any male i've fostered (and i've fostered 5 males to 3 females). She gets along with every dog--it's more an issue of they get along with her because she's a playful face/neck biter...

Greyhounds rock. Period.

I am madly in love with our 2 big goofy boys (80 lb red brindle and an 80 lb black and white cowdoggie) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't ever consider a female.

What an exciting time for you! Please keep us posted when you have your new family member, and remember that we want to see pics, and lots of 'em!! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest MyBoys

I have never met a greyhound I did not find beautiful inside and out, we just happen to prefer those big goofy males, the bigger the better.

:welcome I have had males and females and I have never noticed any difference except lifting the leg. My males have been very affectionate as well as the females. I have 2 females now and one male and he is a love and puts his head in our lap blah blah. So glad you found GT. I only found GT in Feb and I have had greys since 1996. Information should be put in Welcome Packets from the rescue group (and I am part of the rescue group). You will love us as your family. Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Chynagirl

I have both, the bossy diva and the velcro boy, and they each have traits that fall right in line with the "stereotype" but then they both have their own unique personality (some "unique" traits - not quite so endearing but it's a package deal :lol ) that I couldn't even imagine being without either one. :wub: