Old Man Vomiting

Guest SoulsMom

Just checking in on Archie... how's he doing today?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SoulsMom

No pukies today!

If he hadn't puked that nasty stuff in his crate yesterday I wouldn't have started to worry. But since he's now puked three times in less than a week, and KNOT just in the morning . . . .well, given his age I should probably have the vet take a look sooner rather than later . . .

Yes, that sounds very sensible. I am keeping Archie in my thoughts! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

And for you :kiss2

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

Aww, thanks for asking. He hurled again this morning but other than that seems his fine, sassy self. I have no idea what could be going on here . . . .he doesn't eat grass or anything else in the yard (he's muzzled), nothing to get into in the house. . . . he's always gotten a bedtime snack, and he's already on a grain free food (natural balance lamb and rice LID). We'll see what the bloodwork shows tomorrow.

Ai yi yi! Well, you know what they say~if it's not one thing, it's your mother :lol

Guest SoulsMom

Well, we're back from the vet. The first thing Dr. S said when he came in the room was 'How is Soul doing?' :lol

Archie's physical checked out ok, and Dr S. said he seems like a very healthy old man, though he has lost two pounds. It seems every year he loses a pound or two. Because I know for a fact that the vomiting can't be caused by him eating stuff in the yard or getting into anything in the house Dr S. suggested we do a blood test to check his kidneys and liver. So, we wait for the blood tests and urinalysis to come back. But both of us feel that given the way he's acting, and how good his physical exam was, that the test are going to come back A-ok :)

If it had just been morning bile that he's been vomiting we probably would have chalked it up to age and stress. But given the fact that he's vomited up his food in the middle of the afternoon, it's probably a good idea to look at his blood. Should have the results back tomorrow :goodluck

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest vahoundlover

I'm just seeing this. I am so sorry Archie is having a rough time. Keeping fingers a paws crossed the blookwork comes back OK.

Guest LindsaySF

Hopefully it is nothing.

I agree with a food change and see if it helps. Also a bed time snack for the early morning 'bile'.

Good luck!

Guest SoulsMom

I know :( This mornings puke looked like he really didn't produce much either, more like a bunch of gagging. . . .

He seems absolutely, totally fine otherwise. Poops are good, appetite is good, energy level is good. Just this random vomiting. . . .

Has he had x-rays? Wonder if it would be worth taking a look at his esophagus. Sending scritchies and hope you can get to the bottom of things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I was thinking about the esophagus too. Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for the Architard :kiss2:grouphug

Checking in for an update. Hope you hear back from the vet soon...

Continued good thoughts for Archie. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

... and for his mum who is not doing so well today :(:grouphug

Guest SoulsMom

You know Jey and MaryJo I was thinking the same thing . . . . . .but other than this random vomiting he doesn't act like his throat is bothering him at all.

Sorry I'm just now replying, I've been sick and on the couch all day. Archie's blood test came back good, nothing abnormal. But his urine showed high proteins so Dr. S is a wee bit concerned that he's in the beginning stages of kidney disease :(

So for now, he's getting 1/4 of a 20mg Pepcid every night with dinner and we'll retest his urine in a few days to make sure. Idon't know what to think . . . .my head is all foggy. Guess I need to read up on kidney disease now . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest BlackandBrindle

:grouphug

If he's in the beginning stages, he still can have a long full life. It takes some diet adjustment and meds, but hopefully if that's what it is, it was caught early enough to be managed.

Hope you feel better soon and try not to worry until/unless they give you a reason to :grouphug

Guest SoulsMom

I know I'm awfulizing, but he's almost thirteen. Sixteen is the normal life span for a dog of his 'breeds'. And that's without a major illness. I just don't know if his old body can take it. All the stuff I've read says they can live for months up to two years after dx.

When I started this thread I really didn't think it would be anything serious . . . .given the vomiting I think the retest is going to show the same thing. Archie and I have been through so much together :weep He's my healthy one, the one who would live forever . . . .

Ok, I know I'm being emotional and negative, prolly because I'm so sick myself. I'll try to do better :blush

Edited by SoulsMom