Heartworm Prevention

Guest greyhoundmom1

Guest EmilyAnne

Regarding wether or not there is a controversy over this, I post on the EPIL-K9 list, and there are some people who simply will not give their dog heartworm preventative because they are afraid of the risks. *scratches head*. I disagree, but, ah well... So, there is *some* controversy over wether or not to use heartworm med, but nothing lke the controversy over vaccines.

Guest HersheysMom

This is a great thread as I was just online last night comparing Heartworm preventatives. We have used Heartguard Plus for years, but I wanted to see if there were other kinds that killed more different types of worms, fleas, etc. I still have a few months' worth of Heartguard Plus but am considering switching to Interceptor or Sentinel at some point. It's been helpful for me to hear what others are using and why.

I get mine from Pet Supplies Net and there's no prescription required. I've noticed it is shipped from Australia.

I'm a very "all natural" person who uses a host of herbals for fleas and ticks rather then the usual topicals, gets titers before I re-vaccinate, and don't like to give uneeded meds. However, heartworm prevention is one thing I give every single month, year-round, and keep a log of when I give it so no months are missed. I feel it's very important for the health of my dogs.

Guest eaglflyt

We definitely believe in heartworm prevention, and it was in our contract with our Greyhound Rescue group that we adopted from that she ALWAYS remain on Heartworm prevention (which we would do anyway). Did your adoption group suggest or require continued heartworm prevention?

Different and much more toxic medication is used to treat an actual adult heartworm infection.

We use Generic Heartgard (Ivermectin) from the PetShed. Generic Heartgard is only about $3.25 per month USD for Ady Bea. You can see it at this LINK. We are not affiliated with the Pet Shed, just very pleased customers.

Shelly in OK

Guest longdogs

If you live in a heartworm area it is absolutely necessary. Not only is it horrible for your dog but your infected dog will be spreading the disease to other unfortunate pets and wildlife. As this worm evolves it may start to spread to new hosts. Cats used to be immune but are now increasingly becoming infected. The disease is not unknown in humans. Let's not give it a helping hand by supplying a ready source of easily infected canine hosts.

Guest gnevins
Just curious, not trying to open a can of worms........What are your thoughts about Heartworm Prevention - yay or nay?

YaY!

I have George tested at the vet annually, and then I ask them for a written prescription. I then get the meds from a registered pet pharmacy, the EXACT SAME STUFF, for 1/2 what my vet charges. I give it year round.

The cost of preventing heartworm compared to the cost and potential risk to your dog just isn't even worth thinking about!

Omaha Vaccine has really good prices on medications, and they've been around for a long time. They use the exact same products as your vet's office does, and I've been very pleased with both their prices and services.

I have saved THOUSANDS of dollars on medications in my years of owning dogs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Fasave

Just as an FYI, I have an IBD dog who is sensitive to beef. The chewable Heartguard has beef in it and the generic form Iverheart has pork. Heartguard has a pill form (not chewable) that is meat free available. Oh yeah, I'm a Yay!

i have always used heartworm meds, i remember the days when you needed to dose your dogs daily and it was "not a threat" here in the northeast. well, i was showing salukis back then and everyone was balking about their dog's sensitivities until many of their dogs became infected. i use it year round with out any complications.

entirelypets.com currently has a special, 12 months of (white) interceptor for $73.99. I haven't seen it cheaper anywhere else.

Year around here in Florida.

I order from PetsMegaStore in AU.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I also remember to "old" days of HW preventives. The liquid that was so nasty that dogs would starve themselves instead of eating it. I think it was called Styrid-Caricide. Anyway, it was DISGUSTING!!

And then we graduated to the big green slimy pills. When I was a dog handler, we had to get them into 15 GSD's or Dobies every day.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest CDNgreys

I've said Yay before but I thought I would mention that my little 1.5 pound ferret gets her heartworm meds along with my dogs.

ONE heartworm in her tiny little heart can kill her. She has never had a problem from the preventative.

Guest BiancasMom

We don't have much Heartworm here in WA state but my dog takes Sentinel anyway. Heartworm is a horrible disease and the preventative treatment is faaarr better than them actually getting the disease which can be deadly. I don't know of any links to cancer or any other diseases. I figure there are so many carcinogens in this world you can't possibly keep away from them all. As others mentioned, Sentinel also does fleas and other internal parasites, all with one tasty pill a month! Yay!

Guest DebR

I'm all for it..and year round regardless of location. Why take a chance? I'm in Michigan, and it gets cold here, but all my dogs take heartguard plus year round with no problems.

Here's an add on question...is there a problem with heart worms in the UK? I found a site that told me it was transmitted through slugs here rather than mosquitoes but I'm not giving that much credence. What I do know is I can't get what I usually give mine here, which is frustrating.

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif

Guest suzye

Yay for prevention. I use Sentinel but recently decided to pay the vet's higher price for it since it's guaranteed. Not sure I am going to stick with that or not. Sentinel IS expensive, but I'm afraid if I switch to something that doesn't control fleas, too, I will acquire a new problem. If I ever have to cut costs, at least there are other HW only products I can switch to.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We used a horse wormer here

this stuff

Use it once a month in our kennels and also for our pets at home. Takes care of just about every creepy crawly worm there is :D $10 a tube and it last about 6 months for 4 hounds.

We use to use a straight Ivomec and then worm with another wormer but after finding this product we can take care of it all with one wormer.

Guest SoulsMom

Year round here too. I have actually seen a mosquito in my house when the outside temp was -2 and there was 2ft of snow on the ground :blink:

I spoke to the vet we've used since we've been here, and apparently the type of mosquito that carries heartworm doesn't live in the UK...he said the only time they even test for heartworm is when an animal has been to a country that has them, like the continent or the states. So no preventative here, much as that makes me a little nervous.

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif

Guest eaglflyt
We used a horse wormer here

this stuff

Use it once a month in our kennels and also for our pets at home. Takes care of just about every creepy crawly worm there is :D $10 a tube and it last about 6 months for 4 hounds.

We use to use a straight Ivomec and then worm with another wormer but after finding this product we can take care of it all with one wormer.

How do you manage the accurate dosing based on your dogs weight? This is such a concentrated and potent product, I'd be afraid of overdosing my dog.

I had a friend that used liquid Ivomec on her Doberman and she thought she was using the correct dosage and would not listen to anyone. Her dog soon had liver problems from the monthly overdosing. She finally listened to the math correction from her vet when her dog was very ill.

Guest longdogs
Here's an add on question...is there a problem with heart worms in the UK? I found a site that told me it was transmitted through slugs here rather than mosquitoes but I'm not giving that much credence. What I do know is I can't get what I usually give mine here, which is frustrating.

It is not yet in the UK. One thing to be thankful for - now. Give global warming a few years and all bets are off.