Now We Know What's Wrong W/ Jackson

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

This morning he sounded like he was trying to hack something up. Went to work, but he's still doing this coughing thing and funny breathing this evening. Not acting like himself. Just seems "off".

My vet, of course, is closed. There is another vet I can take him to that's open until 2a - they have no appts left tonight, but I can spend an extra $20 for an "unscheduled" visit. I'm just not sure if it's urgent, or if i can hold off until morning.

And really, I don't want to deal with bad news tonight. I'm exhausted, and I just can't bear the thought of something being wrong with him.

Thoughts?

Edited by VelvetEars

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My honest thoughts, if you aren't ready to deal with whatever a vet visit entails and he seems stable enough, then y'all get a good night's sleep and go to the vet first thing tomorrow. :grouphug

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest EmilyAnne

I dont know anything about this in bigger dogs like greyhounds and thought this to be more common in the small breed dogs, but I'm a little worried it could be fluid around the heart or something like that? Again, not a subject I am very knowledgable on. Could you call the vet and ask what they think?

Breathing funny and coughing are two things I would not wait to see vet about.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hoping it's something minor.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest VelvetEars

well, we have a diagnosis after a chest and abdominal xray series.

pneumo mediastinum.

basically, he has air in his chest cavity. the million dollar question is why. and it's a fair amount - his heart should be touching his sternum and it's not. his lungs also look compressed. no wonder he's uncomfortable. it's likely he had (a) bubble(s) on his lungs that burst and let air into his chest. it could self-resolve. or it might not, which would require repeated trips to the vet to have the air removed via syringe, or a trip to University of Missouri for a chest tube.

the good news is there are no visible tumors or anything on the xray. so that's something, at least. but this is still serious. he can have respiratory distress. if there are open holes on his lungs that aren't sealing themselves, then when he breathes, the air just goes into his chest cavity. so that's not a good thing.

i've brought him home to keep an eye on him, and we'll do another set of xrays tomorrow night at 7 to see if there's any change. (i'll also have to work at home tomorrow so i can keep monitoring him.) she sent home tramadol to help him relax. i didn't have the heart to ask her what i was supposed to take to relax. guess that's what i have wine for. and Patti - KYgrey - bless her heart for staying up so late, waiting to hear from me....

Guest greytkidsmom

Did they check for an esophageal injury? Total perforation or a tear in the lining of the esopagus is a common cause of pneumomediastinum.

Guest VelvetEars

How would they check for that? they only did Xrays as far as I know. I'll ask her tomorrow when I take him back for a recheck.

Guest greytkidsmom

In people, we do an esophagram - swallow contrast and look for leaks with x-ray. If no contrast leaks out, we assume a partial tear and treat by resting the esophagus (nothing by mouth). If contrast does leak out, it usually needs to be fixed. I would just check with your vet and make sure it is part of his/her differential (list of possiblities).

Here is a link I found that discusses pneumothorax (air in a lung cavity) vs pneumomediastinum (air in the mediastinal space where the heart, esophagus, and great vessels are).

edited because I clicked "send" too soon

Edited by greytkidsmom

Meredith, we're sending prayers and hugs for you and Jackson.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11