Happy Tail

We have the lovely Miss American Idol visiting for the weekend and she has happy tail. Every time it stops bleeding it starts as soon as she wacks her tail against something. We have put liquid bandage, vet wrap with padding, bought pipe wrap (which didn't stay on) and I am still seeing blood. It is not a bad tear yet, but I don't want it to become a real issue.

Help! Can someone give us a way to wrap the tail so it will stay on? When she wags her tail, which is constantly, the bandage flys off.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest tumeria33

Tails are tough because they are skinny. Try taping the Vet wrap with duct tape and make it snug. That should hopefully keep it on and help stop the bleeding. Also you may want to supervise her on a tether so her tail can't reach anything to wack!

I suggest you search this forum, and this topic has been written about extensively, as many of this have been through this, and you'll find some GREAT tips without folks having to repeat themselves!

Good luck! Whatever you do, do NOT SHAVE THE TAIL! (Some vets do that to "get a good look")

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I went through this with Wayne, and I for one, don't mind repeating myself, especially if it helps!!

I think someone already did say to wrap the whole tail, it'll stay on better. Wayne's was really bad and he ended up losing all of his tail but 4 1/2"

Good luck, I hope you get the bandage to stay on

ETA: I remember one of the times I wrapped Wayne's tail, I used too much vet wrap which caused the bandage to be too heavy to stay on. Just a thought

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest rippasmom

I'm still battling Oswald's happy tail. It's now over a month. Grassmere Animal Hospital has a video on their website, but elasticon tape works best for me. Be careful not to wrap too tight. Friday Oswald started a 5 day regimen of aminocaproic acid to see if it will help. Just changed the bandage and it's still oozing but is not nearly as bruised looking. I use liquid bandage, telfa pad, cotton batting, vet wrap, then end with elasticon.I don't want to amputate until I've tried everything. He was also on antibiotics for 10 days(cephlexin).

Good Luck!

Kim

Guest mogreys

EMT gel works great for me on happy tails, along with the usual bandaging that has been described. I haven't had to amputate one yet, due to not getting it to heal up.

Guest spider9174

here are my instructions for

Relevant website:

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/b..._happy_tail.htm

--this website has good information as well as “how-to” pictures.

Needed items

1) Head to the dollar store and get foam curlers (or Wal-Mart, Sally's Beauty Supply, etc); you can also head to Lowes for foam pipe insulation instead.

2) get some vet wrap--you can get it at pet co, but if you need bulk, get some from www.kvvet.com or Amazon. pet co will break the bank wrap after wrap.

3) Bandage scissors (blunt tip with flat guide)

4) Gentle surgical paper tape

5) Neosporin or some type of antibacterial ointment; styptic powder; liquid skin

6) Betadine or hydrogen peroxide. Both of these will dissolve scabs and can be harsh on tissue, so only use it to debris the area. Once a scab has formed, do not use it. You will spend a lot of time trying to get a good scab so watching it dissolve in hydrogen peroxide will be devastating and add a few weeks to the healing process. With betadine, it is important to know that you will need to dilute it by 1 part in 10 parts water. 100% betadine from the bottle is TOO HARSH on tissue and can burn it.

7) 4x4 gauze pads

8) A willing helper to occupy said hound.

9) A BOAT LOAD of patience

You have to be diligent about wrapping it every day/every other day until you start to see healing. If you let it go, it can get infected and you will have problems. You may need to wrap it for 6 weeks.

The wrapping:

1) Get two curlers and cut them like a hot dog bun. If the wound is bigger than the two curlers, you may need more. Or you may just want to go the route of the pip insulation and cut in two like the curler.

2) Get the Neosporin out and apply to wound and a little to a gauze pad. Cut some surgical tape in 4-6 inch strips.

3) Take the gauze pad and roll it around the wound/tip of tail--try to keep the end of the tail open to air. Secure the gauze with paper tape.

4) Take the curlers or pipe insulation and roll it around the tail. Secure the foam with paper tape. Next secure the foam to the tail with surgical tape wrapping it up the tail. You'll need to go 6-8 inches up the tail. Once you get to a stopping point, wrap a few tufts of hair into the bandage to help secure it and keep it from slipping down the tail.

5) Cover the surgical tape with vet wrap. The vet wrap will provide strength to the paper tape. The paper tape won't stick to the tail.

6) Day two--if you look at the gauze at the tip of the tail and see that it look reddish or like the wound was weeping, you'll need to re-bandage it. You will need to re-bandage each day until it stops weeping.

7) Once it stops weeping, you will not have to re-bandage, you will be able to get away with squirting some Neosporin in the gauze. You can leave it up to 3 days this way, or that would be my personal recommendation.

8) It's important the wound gets air. That helps the healing process.

Unwrapping: Use the blunt nose flat edge scissors to cut off the vet wrap. Then unwrap the surgical tape slowly--remember you wrapped in some hair, so if you pull, you will pull out some hair too. Careful when you get down to the gauze. There may be a scab or it may be crusty the first few times you unwrap it. Sometimes soaking in warm water/water with antiseptic will help loosen the bandage. Go slowly. You should be able to use the foam over again.

If you have a pup that is playing with his tail, a muzzle with a poop cup is a good thing. It will keep him from chewing the bandage. You can purchase one through the GO website.

Signs to look for:

1) Smell--does it smell sulfur-ish? If so, it's infected. It may also be green or oozing green.

2) What does it look like? Does it have an angry red color? I remember when I had Stanley in foster, I took him to the kennel for an adoption day and he sat and whacked his tail on the concrete every time someone walked by. Well, the next day I unwrapped it and learned he had just undone what I spent 3 weeks working on. To top it off, it was an angry bruised red color. I thought for sure he was going to loose his tail at that point, but we pushed on! It took about 5 days for the bruising to go away, but it did. After a few days, some of the tissue on the perimeter of the scab looked white and eventually sloughed off.

3) Good signs are a nice healthy pink.

4) Black necrotic tissue...bad sign because the tissue is dieing.

Comment about...styptic powder can be used, but you may want to wait until there is a good scab and there is little weeping. It really won't work on a large wound. Once you're read to leave the bandage off, styptic powder may be a way to go to keep it dry. Liquid skin--you can use it, but a caveat--most liquid skin products have alcohol in it. It will sting and you don't want you pup jumping like a crazy pup. It may cause you to have a hard time wrapping it.

This process can take a long time. Be patient and diligent.

Remember...as horrifying as this sounds, if diligent wrapping doesn't improve the condition of your pups tail and you are pulling your hair out, he will still be a happy pup without a bit of his tail. You can shoot me for saying it. I know it's harsh, but if it doesn't heal, don't feel bad about going to what seems like the extreme.

I think that covers the good, the bad, and the ugly of happy tail...

Thanks so much. We did buy the pipe insulation, but I think what we bought was too wide. We have the insulation rubber banded and so far this bandage has stayed on the longest. I appreciate all the information and have printed it out. You are really a "friend" to type all this out for us.

John E had a tail injury which cost him about an inch of his tail. If this becomes the same situation, and we can't fix it, I understand some of her tail may be lost. She is a tail wagger like I have never seen. It actually goes around in circles.

Relevant website:

--this website has good information as well as "how-to" pictures.

Needed items

1) Head to the dollar store and get foam curlers (or Wal-Mart, Sally's Beauty Supply, etc); you can also head to Lowes for foam pipe insulation instead.

Relevant website:

--this website has good information as well as “how-to” pictures.

Needed items

2) get some vet wrap--you can get it at pet co, but if you need bulk, get some from www.kvvet.com or Amazon. pet co will break the bank wrap after wrap.

3) Bandage scissors (blunt tip with flat guide)

4) Gentle surgical paper tape

5) Neosporin or some type of antibacterial ointment; styptic powder; liquid skin

6) Betadine or hydrogen peroxide. Both of these will dissolve scabs and can be harsh on tissue, so only use it to debris the area. Once a scab has formed, do not use it. You will spend a lot of time trying to get a good scab so watching it dissolve in hydrogen peroxide will be devastating and add a few weeks to the healing process. With betadine, it is important to know that you will need to dilute it by 1 part in 10 parts water. 100% betadine from the bottle is TOO HARSH on tissue and can burn it.

7) 4x4 gauze pads

8) A willing helper to occupy said hound.

9) A BOAT LOAD of patience

You have to be diligent about wrapping it every day/every other day until you start to see healing. If you let it go, it can get infected and you will have problems. You may need to wrap it for 6 weeks.

The wrapping:

1) Get two curlers and cut them like a hot dog bun. If the wound is bigger than the two curlers, you may need more. Or you may just want to go the route of the pip insulation and cut in two like the curler.

2) Get the Neosporin out and apply to wound and a little to a gauze pad. Cut some surgical tape in 4-6 inch strips.

3) Take the gauze pad and roll it around the wound/tip of tail--try to keep the end of the tail open to air. Secure the gauze with paper tape.

4) Take the curlers or pipe insulation and roll it around the tail. Secure the foam with paper tape. Next secure the foam to the tail with surgical tape wrapping it up the tail. You'll need to go 6-8 inches up the tail. Once you get to a stopping point, wrap a few tufts of hair into the bandage to help secure it and keep it from slipping down the tail.

5) Cover the surgical tape with vet wrap. The vet wrap will provide strength to the paper tape. The paper tape won't stick to the tail.

6) Day two--if you look at the gauze at the tip of the tail and see that it look reddish or like the wound was weeping, you'll need to re-bandage it. You will need to re-bandage each day until it stops weeping.

7) Once it stops weeping, you will not have to re-bandage, you will be able to get away with squirting some Neosporin in the gauze. You can leave it up to 3 days this way, or that would be my personal recommendation.

8) It's important the wound gets air. That helps the healing process.

Unwrapping: Use the blunt nose flat edge scissors to cut off the vet wrap. Then unwrap the surgical tape slowly--remember you wrapped in some hair, so if you pull, you will pull out some hair too. Careful when you get down to the gauze. There may be a scab or it may be crusty the first few times you unwrap it. Sometimes soaking in warm water/water with antiseptic will help loosen the bandage. Go slowly. You should be able to use the foam over again.

If you have a pup that is playing with his tail, a muzzle with a poop cup is a good thing. It will keep him from chewing the bandage. You can purchase one through the GO website.

Signs to look for:

1) Smell--does it smell sulfur-ish? If so, it's infected. It may also be green or oozing green.

2) What does it look like? Does it have an angry red color? I remember when I had Stanley in foster, I took him to the kennel for an adoption day and he sat and whacked his tail on the concrete every time someone walked by. Well, the next day I unwrapped it and learned he had just undone what I spent 3 weeks working on. To top it off, it was an angry bruised red color. I thought for sure he was going to loose his tail at that point, but we pushed on! It took about 5 days for the bruising to go away, but it did. After a few days, some of the tissue on the perimeter of the scab looked white and eventually sloughed off.

3) Good signs are a nice healthy pink.

4) Black necrotic tissue...bad sign because the tissue is dieing.

Comment about...styptic powder can be used, but you may want to wait until there is a good scab and there is little weeping. It really won't work on a large wound. Once you're read to leave the bandage off, styptic powder may be a way to go to keep it dry. Liquid skin--you can use it, but a caveat--most liquid skin products have alcohol in it. It will sting and you don't want you pup jumping like a crazy pup. It may cause you to have a hard time wrapping it.

This process can take a long time. Be patient and diligent.

Remember...as horrifying as this sounds, if diligent wrapping doesn't improve the condition of your pups tail and you are pulling your hair out, he will still be a happy pup without a bit of his tail. You can shoot me for saying it. I know it's harsh, but if it doesn't heal, don't feel bad about going to what seems like the extreme.

I think that covers the good, the bad, and the ugly of happy tail...

Wow, great information. Don't need it now but you never know.............

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Tigonie

Just about everything that needs to be said about the dog has been said, probably better than I could say it.

I'll also mention to get the blood off, start simple. Almost all of Emma's happy tail blood was cleaned with damp, white paper towels. I just used water in most cases. You need to use white towels, as patterned paper towels can leave ink, and don't get the towels too wet, just damp. In a few places, like the carpet, I used to use Simple Solution, but just water worked fine for the walls and furniture (and ceiling, and doors, and hardwood, and....)

We wrapped and babied the tail for weeks at a time for about a year. It was like I was walking "nerd dog," poor Emma! It kept getting worse over time rather than healing. Eventually, every time I left it unwrapped or if the bandage fell off, it would break open again. The end of the tail was pretty scarred, and the skin lay only thinly over the bone at the tip of her tail. We did eventually get about 2 inches docked off. In our case it was a very good decision and solved the problem. Nobody can even tell it was docked.

I know it's not your dog, but I hope the information might help.

She is walking around with the pipe insulation taped to her tail. She looks like she has a black cast on her tail. The funny thing is, I was walking all three yesterday, and stopped to talk to a neighbor. He didn't even notice the pipe insulation on her tail until I said something.

I will keep the insulation on for a few weeks, for sure. We will be traveling with the trailer and it is so close in there, it is like an invitation for happy tail. I think it is amazing that we survived four greyhounds without having this happen before.

Guest Pipi5
EMT gel works great for me on happy tails, along with the usual bandaging that has been described. I haven't had to amputate one yet, due to not getting it to heal up.

I think its great you asked the question, since a lot of times the previous post are buried on page 50 & hasn't been brought up lately. Drinda's suggestion is great, and she should know coming from a puppy farm, racing kennel & racing family. She's had the years of experience. My suggestion would also be make sure your bandage isn't too tight. Good luck!!! :)

Be very careful and don't wrap the tail too tight. You'll kill the end of the tail.

Your best bet is to use whatever wrap you are comfortable with (vet wrap for example) then use tape (I too like elasticon) on the upper part of the wrap taping to about 1 inch of tail fur. Too much and you take the fur off when you take the tape off. If you don't mind a funky looking tail you can shave the part that needs to be taped. The tape hangs on better and it actually hurts less than pulling fur out.

Good luck.