Does Your Dog Eat Dirt?

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

Hi Guys:

My two boys have been digging a hole in the backyard and eating the dirt. They have even got my sweet 13 year old female in on the bandwagon! Can you tell me why they do this and how to make them stop? Am I not feeding them enough minerals or vitamins? Is there a supplement I can give. They are all on very high end foods, so I would think their meals should be balanced.

Thanks for the help!

As to why they do it, I've heard so many different reasons

Misty just started to do it. I know a lot of people use a muzzle with a guard on it but I won't muzzle Misty so I just keep an eye on her when she's out in the yard and she knows I'm watching her which has made a difference

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Maddie does it, and she digs in it too. And it is not dirt it is NC red clay - YEAH!! which is impossible to get out of anything when it is wet. Towel is by the back door at all times to wipe off paws.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest poopsie1

Stanley's been doing it for two years. I do the same as cbudshome - watch him and stop him when he starts. He's not coming in and kissing me with a muddy mouth. :eek

Guest dwolfe711

Eating dirt/mud is better than eating poop!! At least when my dirt eaters come in - Ellie and Ripley - I don't have to worry about poop breath :sick like I do with my two poop eaters - Allie and Apollo (Apollo will poop, turn around and try to eat it right there!!) :yuck !! I don't know why any of them do it but it drives me crazy :crazy . And now that the grass is growing again - they're eating grass too - smorgasboard backyard :chow !! If I try muzzles they just get dirt or mud or poop all over the muzzle and then rub on me to remove the muzzle :dunno:ohno - so I've given up on the muzzles too!! My guys eat raw - so maybe they're digging up earthworms in that dirt!! :rolleyes::sick We follow them around with poop bags whenever it is light and pick up almost before it hits the ground :blush - but when they go out in the dark or when we just don't have time to pick up - that's when they take advantage of the poop piles!!

Donna

Eating dirt/mud is better than eating poop!! At least when my dirt eaters come in - Ellie and Ripley - I don't have to worry about poop breath :sick like I do with my two poop eaters - Allie and Apollo (Apollo will poop, turn around and try to eat it right there!!) :yuck !! I don't know why any of them do it but it drives me crazy :crazy . And now that the grass is growing again - they're eating grass too - smorgasboard backyard :chow !! If I try muzzles they just get dirt or mud or poop all over the muzzle and then rub on me to remove the muzzle :dunno:ohno - so I've given up on the muzzles too!! My guys eat raw - so maybe they're digging up earthworms in that dirt!! :rolleyes::sick We follow them around with poop bags whenever it is light and pick up almost before it hits the ground :blush - but when they go out in the dark or when we just don't have time to pick up - that's when they take advantage of the poop piles!!

Donna

OMG!!! You're telling on Apollo, I can NOT believe it...my heart hurts :lol

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Both my Indy and Holly are "commonsewers" of dirt -- heavy clay soil in my backyard. They love to dig holes and dive in for a mouthful. Holly likes to eat dirt with her butt up in the air.

Holly also loves poop - any will do. Both tirelessly scour the yard for bunny poo as well.

They have a great life, a good diet, and get plenty of exercise. I don't know why they do what they do but it obviously works for them. I just keep plenty of towels near the door to wipe muddy paws. My hounds don't do bad things in the house, so if they want to dig holes and eat dirt -- it's okay with me! :lol:

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Harley gets in dirt moods. It starts when he gets silly running in the yard, then he'll pull up a clump of grass and throw it in the air as if it's a toy - he's got 9 million toys, but clumps of grass are fun too LOL - then he'll eat the dirt where he pulled the grass up when he's done being silly.

First we worried, but he's fine. He comes back in the house, the telltale signs of dirt around his mouth as a giveaway to his antics, and we just laugh!

When he's running like a nut doing this, he'll pause at every turn and stop and look at the kitchen door where we stand and watch him, as if to say, "See me mommy?"

It's hilarious :lol

Sherry

Guest laceyj

I too have dirt eaters. I've had poop eating fosters and Keiper has been known to eat poop, mostly his own. Bandit seems obsessed with the dirt eating, before that it was snow. I've had to resort to a muzzle with cup, he tends to be so intent on eating the snow or dirt that he doesn't pee while he's out there. Now the muzzle acts as a reminder that he's out there to go potty first and eat dirt second.

Yes, they all ride the short bus.

Mine all eat dirt and wood (ate the bark off of one of my trees!) in the fall and in the spring. Our vet says there's no medical reason for it, mostly just bad habits.

I did read somewhere that adding digestive enzymes (like ProZyme powder, etc.) can help poop eaters. Haven't tested that myself, but my little IG is a poop eater so we might give it a go :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I have one dirt-not-poop eater, one poop-not-dirt eater, one poop-dirt-wood-shells-sticks-plants-whatever eater. Seems to start in the Spring mostly though, and taper off in the Winter.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greyaspet

Two of my three eat dirt especially mud after a rain. I give them prozyme, always have and vitamins and they still eat the dirt. What grosses me out is that then they come in and drink water so now I have muddy water in their bowl. Wish I could find out why. I have put chili powder and black pepper on the spots they eat and they move to other places so I follow them around with the container and sprinkle away until they find another spot.

If anyone finds out why I would love to know.

Sheila

Guest Hollys2hounds

I have two dirt eaters (my greys), and one occasional poop eater (my poodle mix).

YUK!

I too asked about this recently.... I hate when they act like dogs... don't you?

My Gunner will actually lay down, and lick the ground for an hour if I let him... :puke

Guest RICHandJUDE

My two greyts love to eat dirt. They always have their mouths going to town.

At first I thought they were digging up and eating worms or squirrel nuts. When I call

out their names, they usually stop. My beagle has to be different. She doesn't

eat dirt ...but she does eat poop then wants kisses. Ugh!

Ours were fascinated by one part of the lawn. They'd just be crunching away at the dirt for no clear reason, right in one spot. I put up some fencing. After about a year, it came down and WHAMMO, right back to sniffing and eating it. Weirdest darned thing. I put a chair over the spot, and although they graze the grass there, they seem to have lost their dedication to geophagia at that site.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

All three of my dogs eat poop and my one greyhound also likes dirt. When it is light outside I go out with them to monitor but they still find the poop or dirt. a lot of people told me to try S.E.P. by Solid Gold to stop the poop eating but it did not work for mine.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest andrealynch

Thanks for all of the replies and stories. So...after reading all of this, I guess I should be HAPPY that they only eat dirt--and nothing else...at least for now! :)