Billy Doesn't Like The Tylosin Powder.......

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

The vet office gave Billy his first dose of Tylosin powder yesterday and I tried to give him some last nite but he refused to eat the canned food that I mixed it with. I only mixed it with a small amount of canned food and I know that he was starving but he still wouldn't eat it. It must taste or smell pretty yucky. I am going to try to mix it with some turkey baby food today but was hoping that people might have other suggestions. Please let me know what has worked for your hound. I will check with the vet today when I go there too.

I'd try something really strong smelling like sardines. Or get some pill pockets and put the powder in it. If nothing else, if he still refuses it, you can poke the pill pocket down the hatch.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Funny you should ask! Dusty has been taking that off and on for years. I found it so difficult to conceal and get him to eat. I finally got the idea to call The Apothecary who put his dose in capsules for me. So much easier. The phone # for the one I used is 480-451-3771 or 888-276-8353. They're open on Saturdays until 12:30. You will have to have your vet call with the prescription (or fax, I guess). Here in town they deliver to the door. I can't imagine that wouldn't mail it. Good luck!

Another option: mix it with a tiny bit of garlic powder. That worked for Minnie. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I don't have experience with Tylosin Powder, so I'm not sure just how disgusting it is, but, I know that Flagyl tastes disgusting too and I've had to give that to my foster.

If he can have cheese, try putting it in some Velveeta, a big chunk so he has to pick it up out of your hand with his teeth (this is assuming he likes Velveeta). So far this is the ONLY thing that's been 100% reliable for me to get my foster to take his pills.

You could also try mashed potatoes, with some cottage cheese and turkey baby food all mixed together, and then add the Tylosin to that. I don't know if he'd know it's there (not knowing myself if it has an odor or not), but, it might be worth a shot.

If all else fails I'd do what others have suggested and get it in capsule form. Might just be easier all around.

RE: prescription diets, I'm not so fond of them personally. Most seem to be nothing but fillers. I'd look for something comparable in the Natural Balance line. They have a ton of limited ingredient diets, with good protein sources (duck, venison, fish, etc.).

I'm not sure I understand everything that's wrong with Billy, but if his pancreas is stressed, eating any kind of kibble isn't going to help the pancreas rest. My foster has chronic pancreatitis and eats mashed potatoes, oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, turkey baby food, spaghetti and meatball dinner baby food, sweet potato baby food, etc. to give his pancreas a break from having to produce the digestive enzymes needed to break up stuff like kibble. I have an article somewhere...if you'd like it, PM me. Again, I don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but, if it is, I'm happy to share!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest mandm

One grain of the stuff will foul the mouth. I know because I accidentally got some in my mouth. It is more awful than any other med that I can think of. Cat people mix it with powdered sugar, but even that doesn't work. Trouble with mixing it with anything is that usually it is given due to digestive troubles, so you don't want to feed anything that might further upset the stomach.

I found it was easiest just to fill empty gel caps and pill my greyhound. My greyhound was on it over a year. I bought an inexpensive capsule filling device for around $15 that allowed me to fill 50 caps in about 10 minutes. Get the largest size of capsules, size OOO.

I looked into having the capsules made for me at a compounding pharmacy, but it was very expensive compared to making them myself.

One grain of the stuff will foul the mouth. I know because I accidentally got some in my mouth. It is more awful than any other med that I can think of. Cat people mix it with powdered sugar, but even that doesn't work. Trouble with mixing it with anything is that usually it is given due to digestive troubles, so you don't want to feed anything that might further upset the stomach.

I found it was easiest just to fill empty gel caps and pill my greyhound. My greyhound was on it over a year. I bought an inexpensive capsule filling device for around $15 that allowed me to fill 50 caps in about 10 minutes. Get the largest size of capsules, size OOO.

I looked into having the capsules made for me at a compounding pharmacy, but it was very expensive compared to making them myself.

We bought the capusles too and made them for Beau when he was on the tylan powder months ago. He never would have eaten any food with that on top or mixed in.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

my vet told me to make my own little pill pocket out of cheese or a quarter slice of bread -- you'll still have to shove it down the throat (because you'll never be able to give Billy cheese or bread as a treat again if he takes a bite of THAT!), but you can get it down him without a big problem.

good luck!

Guest houndlover

Thanks for all of the ideas and I feel bad for any of you that have accidentally tasted this stuff. It sounds like it is horrible! :puke Where would I find the capsules if I wanted to make my own?

Thanks for all of the ideas and I feel bad for any of you that have accidentally tasted this stuff. It sounds like it is horrible! :puke Where would I find the capsules if I wanted to make my own?

Most health food stores have gelatin capsules for folks that like to make their own.

If you expect to be doing it a lot, get a loading table for cheap, too. Get one that matches the size of the capsules, of course.

http://www.herbalremedies.com/capcapfilmac.html

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest dsszarzi

Buddy has also been prescribed Tylocine powder (1/4 tsp. once a day for 6-8 weeks). I was worried he wouldn't eat his food with the Tylocine powder added because he didn't want to eat before the Tylocine powder.

Every evening, I give Bud 1-1/2 C kibble, 1/2 cup boiled & rinsed hamburger, 1/2 C (heaping) boiled rice, the Tylocine powder, and 2 Tbs. active culture yogurt. I mix all this up real good before I give it to him. I have been giving him this mixture for almost 4 weeks now and have not have any problems. He gobbles it up!

It appears the hamburger, rice, and yogurt mask the taste of the Tylocine powder.

And...because of the Tylocine powder, Bud feels so much better.

Guest Judynyc

I've been giving Leyla Tylan powder also ...just mixed right into the whole meal and have not had any issues at all...but maybe my girl is just a very good eater!! :lol