Soul Sliced His Stop Pad

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

:( It happened running it the yard to work up to a poop before bedtime. He came in all bloody, and it's sliced pretty good. I sprayed it with bacatine and wrapped it up. It really seemed to be hurting him last night, but this morning the bandage had come off and he seemed ok. His stop pad is all disfigured now. After the morning pee I sprayed it and wrapped it again. Then he started acting pathetic again.

Is there anything else I can do? What would the vet do, trim it off? Is is ok to let it heal on it's own and just be disfigured? He's already on a 6 week course of tetracycline, but does he need a different antibiotic?

His stop pads have always been rough, we think due to his DL. This is his third foot injury since August, all just from running in the yard :(

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MAXNAV

OMG! Does it ever end for you and Soul??? I swear our vet bills in the last 3 years have been more than raising the 2 human kids. But..........at least our dogs/pets show their appreciation. If it were me, I'd at least call my vet. Good luck!

Guest SoulsMom

I know. . . can't I have a 'normal' dog? No lupus, no tummy issues, no broken nails and other injuries. I swear my vet is going to think I'm stalking him or I have Munchausen by proxy :blink: Archie is twelve and has had hardly any problems in the last 5 years. . . .

Well, my vet isn't in until Weds. There are other vets at the clinic, but not Dr. S, the one who I trust and who knows Soul and all his issues so well :(

Guest MAXNAV
I know. . . can't I have a 'normal' dog? No lupus, no tummy issues, no broken nails and other injuries. I swear my vet is going to think I'm stalking him or I have Munchausen by proxy :blink: Archie is twelve and has had hardly any problems in the last 5 years. . . .

Well, my vet isn't in until Weds. There are other vets at the clinic, but not Dr. S, the one who I trust and who knows Soul and all his issues so well :(

Munchausen by proxy

You're funny! Since your vet won't be there until Wed. maybe you should just doctor it like you've been doing. Every time something goes wrong with our pups, our stomaches sink to our feet. It's so upsetting.

Guest greytbookert

Oh crap Amber! I don't have any advice but to just try and keep it covered as best you can.

Poor Soul! Give him a big hug for me!

Guest IrskasMom

Amber ... could there be Glass or other obstructive Stuff in the Yard ??? And why is Archie not in the Siggy ??? Just

asking ! :):):)

Please give Soulman a hug and kiss and mega get well wishes! :getwell

I came home from a trip one time to find that one of my mix breeds had tore his partially off from the edge while under the care of a pet sitter. There was no bleeding, in fact I remembered it seemed kind of shriveled up, and was an "old" injury at that point so I just bandaged it with Furacin dressing so it wouldn't become infected until it healed and then we'd see what we had. I joked about how Furacin dressing had "miraculous" healing powers(not really but it is good stuff). To my astonishment it reattached on its own and healed completely up. :jaw It really was unbelievable but it did happen. :huh2:dunno I now joke about dabbing Furacin dressing on both ends of tramautic amputations so it will glue it back together again. :lol

Poor Soulman. Personally I would wait for the vet I trust that knows him. In the long run a stopper pad is no biggie but getting upset from medications or stress or something a well meaning but ill advised vet might do could cause trouble so if it was my houndie I'd wait.

blue mangled his stopper pads frequently while chasing hares, they bled, looked like they were almost torn off, etc. they get abraded on high speed turns in gravel or by sharp grasses.

wash, antiseptic, non-stick pad & vet wrap for a couple days & they grow back OK. found some leather stopper pad protectors that fasten on with velcro, blue hates them.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

If it's not bleeding anymore and he's not fussing with it, I'd just keep it clean and open to the air. Maybe put bag balm or bacitracin on it if he's not a licker. Dazzle tore half her stopper pad off a month or two ago. Part of it was still attached. Kinda gross, bled a bit at first, but ultimately healed just fine. The attached part eventually dried up and came off, and the pad has since healed back to its original shape. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Sherri tore hers about a month ago. It was torn off a little on the bottom. I just treated it with neosporin and it was

fine-it even reattached itself. Good luck. Your poor boy has been through so much. (I love the picture of him in your

siggy).

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Redpack

Em cut one of his pads pretty badly a couple of weeks ago. I used EMT gel and vet wrap and I was amazed when he took it off the next morning the cut had sealed. I just covered it when he went outside and it healed without a problem. I think Soul should be alright with your home care, especially since he's on antibiotics. Happy healing!

Guest SoulsMom

Oh thank you! You all are making me feel so much better. I really don't want to have to take him to the vet to have it snipped off. It's pretty mangled though. I'm going to go home at lunch and work the rest of the day from there. Take the bandage off and watch him to make sure he leaves it alone.

Every time something goes wrong with our pups, our stomaches sink to our feet. It's so upsetting.

You got that right! Esp when they are acting pathetic like Soul is . . .he hates to have his paws wrapped.

Amber ... could there be Glass or other obstructive Stuff in the Yard ??? And why is Archie not in the Siggy ??? Just asking !

Nope just some twigs. . . . . . .(Ha! Archie is my JRT/Whippet mix, he just hasn't made it in yet)

Oh, poor Soul! :sad1 I hope it heals fast... I always worry when the dogs are tearing up and down the yard, but you know... I have to let them be dogs. So I keep it to myself :rolleyes:

But I know how you feel!! Sending lots of scritches to Soul and a hug to you. :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom
Oh, poor Soul! :sad1 I hope it heals fast... I always worry when the dogs are tearing up and down the yard, but you know... I have to let them be dogs. So I keep it to myself :rolleyes:

But I know how you feel!! Sending lots of scritches to Soul and a hug to you. :grouphug

Same here! I just have to turn my back and not watch :rolleyes:

And this wasn't even his "fun-play-run-and-dodge-stuff" run. He was just sprinting a little to get his poopy going :huh

And this wasn't even his "fun-play-run-and-dodge-stuff" run. He was just sprinting a little to get his poopy going :huh

:blink::huh:

Are you sure he didn't step on something?

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Oh, poor Soul! Maybe he's the one stalking the Vet??? Nah! Couldn't be. :lol Looks like you have all good advice, so all I can do is add prayers for quick/uneventful healing. Oh, and Soul, could ya please just cool it for a while? We love ya, but enough already!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest SoulsMom

:blink::huh:

Are you sure he didn't step on something?

Well, not 100% but pretty sure . . . .just twigs and leaves in the yard. I'll do a closer inspection when I go home today.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest MAXNAV

[quote name='SoulsMom' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:35 AM' post='3915620'

Well, not 100% but pretty sure . . . .just twigs and leaves in the yard. I'll do a closer inspection when I go home today.

We've still got plenty of branches still down in the yard from the ice storm, with rough raggedy edges. Poor baby.

Geez. I had the same problem with Roscoe on Saturday. Posted up a couple questions, barely got a response. Aint that great. <_<

It's often very quiet around here on weekends, I think, especially now that the weather is better for many of us. For lots of folks, the weekend is the time to get out with the dogs. (For me, it's work on Saturdays until 10pm and Sundays until 6pm. Today is my day off.)

You asked about preventing further pad injuries. Watch how Roscoe plays. Pivoting roughly on his feet--sudden direction changes--can cause trouble. Also, sudden stops, where he plants his feet (almost like a preparing for a super play-bow). And how "tough" are his pads? If he doesn't get lots of romping play time that toughens them up, then the first bout of rambunctious play can do some damage.

I'm in a condo, with no yard for my guys to run in. My two get regular walks, but I'm sure their pads would not be able to tolerate any extended running around. Fortunately--or not--they're such bad-mannered dogs (Sam is massively high-prey and a head-butter; Jacey is a 51-pound, mega-alpha-wannabe) that I'm not tempted to let them romp at the dog park. My two--and the other dogs--are much safer if I keep Sam and Jacey on leash and just walk them.

I've heard two theories about preventing damage. Of course, the ideas are diametrically opposed to each other, and I don't know which is more useful.

One--lots of walking on asphalt/concrete to toughen up the pads. Or, conversely,

Two--lots of bag balm or other "softener" regularly applied to the pads. The theory here, I think, is that the pads then are softer and more likely to "give" under pressure rather than to break/crack/tear and bleed.

You might get more advice if you can hunt up folks who lure course their hounds. They'll have lots of experience with pad issues.

As for Soul's pad--poor baby--it's amazing how such graceful-looking dogs can be such absolute klutzes. Poor Soul getting damaged just trotting around his own back yard isn't surprising. I think most of our dogs get damaged doing things they do safely nearly all the time. (Sam sliced his foot open on the riser of stairs he'd climbed multiple times a day for six years. And it was a deep cut exposing blood vessels--and it happened at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night.) If you have any EMT Gel, it will speed healing on Soul's foot. Just "secure" whatever part of the pad is dangling so that it doesn't get caught and torn more. In a day or so, I think you'll know whether it's going to reattach itself or not--and by that time your preferred vet should be available.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh NO!!! Not Soul again! Feel better baby!

Hugs an kisses on his sweet face!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest SoulsMom
Geez. I had the same problem with Roscoe on Saturday. Posted up a couple questions, barely got a response. Aint that great. <_<

I'm sorry :( Is he doing better? I was working on Sunday, but wouldn't have had much to offer except bag balm. This is my first time going through it . . . .

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I honestly didn't know if we needed to go to the vet or not. . . .I came home at lunch time and unwrapped his bandage. I've been spending the afternoon watching him to make sure he's not fussing with it. I'll just keep it clean and keep an eye on it for now. . . . .I'm still finding blood spots on the hardwood floors. Last night, after it happened but I hadn't seen it yet, I knew something was wrong when he leaned his head on my thigh while I was preparing the coffee for in the morning. Like he was saying, 'hey Mom, I'm hurt over here' :blush

We've still got plenty of branches still down in the yard from the ice storm, with rough raggedy edges. Poor baby.

Yup, that is what it is like here too. All the little twigs from the downed tree in the backyard. <_<