Canyon's Disc Herniation

Guest Annie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Annie
It really breaks my heart that this boy is hurting. I wish I could offer something, but I can only offer my prayers.

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question but can't they give him something for pain?

On the pain meds, he was moving his neck around too much and worsening his condition and making it impossible to heal. :( Off the meds, he is much more careful.

Now that he is crated, and it looks like surgery is inevitable, I'll see what Dr. Sharp says about starting him on them again.

He was on Gabapentin 400MG 3 X daily. Let me tell you... it worked!

Is he able to walk at all?

Yes, he walks quite normally... just with his head low and back a bit arched. He still gets up on the couch which is one of the reasons we have him crated now.

The most obvious symptom is the screaming in pain when he shifts position. :(

How about some benedryl to keep him just a bit sedated. I think it may also have some type of anti-inflamatory-type properties.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Oh, poor Canyon :cry1

I'm sending lots of good thoughts your way and keeping my fingers crossed for him. :goodluck:candle:goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

you can try these to herbs, "Angustura Vera" and "Hypericum Perforatum"

You can also try DMSO gel.

DSMO GEL

or the DMSO cream with additives.

DMSO Cream With Additives

I only found this stuff recently (after Bullet passed) from my uncle who owns a horse farm in VA. He uses it on the farm animals. He said you have to be careful with this stuff. You would need to wear surgical gloves and use a tongue depressor to apply it to the dogs skin. You would need to shave the area in question and apply it there. Your dog is most likely not going to like it because he will smell like and his tongue will taste garlic. But from whats hes told me this stuff works wonders and the smell is worth it. Just don't get it on your skin or you will tastes garlic on your tongue.

Good Luck.

Edited by knightfal

He needs to be on some type of anti-inflammatory at least (prednisone comes to mind). If your vet disagrees, find another vet. Have never heard of a dog denied pain medication for a condition like this.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He needs to be on some type of anti-inflammatory at least (prednisone comes to mind). If your vet disagrees, find another vet. Have never heard of a dog denied pain medication for a condition like this.

Hugs and best luck.

I now keep a supply of pred in the house after what happened to my dogs. I used my personal doc to get it, way easier than the vet. That way we can give him a dose as soon as a problem would arise.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Poor baby! I'm so sorry he is in such pain! Definitely check with the vet to see if you can at least get him back on pain meds to help him!

Guest Vinnie

Adding more prayers that your sweet boy feels better soon. I know that the surgery is very scary for you - we went through it with Gracie and Gus' Uncle Higgins. One minute they are fine and the next minute it is the gsod and your heart is breaking because you want to fix them right now. Higgins is in our office everyday along with my pups so we are one big family - and our office is upstairs so it got to the point that he couldn't even come into the office. He underwent the surgery early November 2007 and was back in the office and climbing stairs (slowly) by the end of December (he was only 4 at the time). Now he is so much better and happier, he is back to being a speed demon, loves to tug and play and there is no more pain. You do have to keep him quiet for awhile but he will bounce back, it just takes time. Make sure they know about specialized greyhound anesthesia. Hoping you are able to get the pain under control until his surgery, and remember, there will be up and down days, but it will get better. Sending extra hugs and scritches to the very handsome Canyon.

Poor boy. Sending lots of prayers and healing thoughts. Watching them in pain is just the worst. My heart goes out to you both.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Hugs and best luck.

I now keep a supply of pred in the house after what happened to my dogs. I used my personal doc to get it, way easier than the vet. That way we can give him a dose as soon as a problem would arise.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I need to point out that it's critical not to give pred and an NSAID at the same time. This can kill a dog. Just an FYI if you have prednisone laying around the house and the NSAID isn't working. You have to wait a number of days between ending one and starting the other.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Annie

Hugs and best luck.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I need to point out that it's critical not to give pred and an NSAID at the same time. This can kill a dog. Just an FYI if you have prednisone laying around the house and the NSAID isn't working. You have to wait a number of days between ending one and starting the other.

I should clarify that the neurologist said we could try going without the pain meds and see if that kept him quieter (as he was jumping around like the kook he is on them). We were hoping to give him the best chance to heal on his own.

Now that his condition has clearly deteriorated, and the frequency and level of his pain has increased, I have put him back on the Gabapentin. :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from the neurologist... he had an emergency come in... :(

Edited by Annie

Sending more prayers. I know what you are going through. Our Angel Sophia had a ruptured disc in her neck and things were so hard. We opted for surgery. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Annie

The neurologist just called me back. He says that it is still possible that we can avoid surgery with Canyon. There is no harm in waiting a bit as there's little likelyhood he will injure himself further now that he's crated. We will keep him on the Gabapentin and see what happens in the next couple of days. He has stopped crying out. :colgate

I don't know a thing about Canyon's condition or the type of surgery he needs, but whatever is decided upon, I just am hoping that he is comfortable while he waits.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless