Boogie Is At The Vet Today

Guest BoogieDown

Guest BoogieDown

I dropped off Boogie at the vet this AM. They didn't have any open appointments, so they are working him in as they can. I really didn't like leaving him there, but I would rather do that than wait for an appointment next week.

Ever since I've had Boogie (1 year), he would throw up now and then. I never really worried about it - some dogs are barfers, some aren't. As long as the appetite and attitude were good, I didn't worry.

About a week ago, he started throwing up a little more frequently. It's always just a small amount, and is a dark brown, very strong smelling liquid (very acidic smelling). He also started coughing, hacking, and reverse sneezing. Last night he started doing it (coughing and throwing up) more frequently. So, in the middle of the night I had already decided that I was going to call the vet today anyway.

This morning, he didn't eat breakfast. This is the first time in the year that I've had him that he didn't herd me toward the dinner bowl when meal time was approaching.

He didn't even pick up the spilled Cheerios on the floor this morning. The only reason I have dogs is so that I don't have to sweep the floor. If he's not going to do his job, something is wrong.

He's getting IV fluids right now. Then they'll take some films of his chest and abdomen. Plus, blood work up. Then we'll see where we go from there.

The first suspicions are pancreatitis or valley fever. He tested negative for valley fever in September, after some neck pain and limited range of motion in his neck. Of course, he could still have valley fever, even after testing negative for it, or he could have contracted it later.

Stools are unchanged. He has always had soft stools. He is straining to go, and acting as if he is having stomach cramps (arching his back and holding his tail out).

So, now I'm just trying to keep myself busy while waiting for the vet to call with updates.

Which vet?

If it gets stranger and they're not too familiar with greyhounds, take him to Yocham in Phoenix. No appointments, just walk-ins.

(And howdy from Chandler/Gilbert Roads, BTW!)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Oh dear... :( Sending prayers and light to your Boogie boy. :hope

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest BoogieDown
Which vet?

If it gets stranger and they're not too familiar with greyhounds, take him to Yocham in Phoenix. No appointments, just walk-ins.

(And howdy from Chandler/Gilbert Roads, BTW!)

I take him to Arizona Animal Wellness Center. They are familiar with greys, and I have been happy with them in the past. Thanks for the suggestion to go to Yocham. It's always nice to have other resources available. His regular vet is Dr. Johns, but he is seeing another vet today - not really my preference, but sometimes you take what you can get.

Oh, and you are very close to me - I am at Ray and Gilbert.

I'm still awaiting news...

updates? Sending loads of prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Adding my prayers. Hope Boogie feels better soon.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Sending my many prayers. Our Angel LaceyLaine had the same problems and we found that she had pancreatitis. Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest BoogieDown

We got back from the vet a little while ago. While we weren't able to bring Boogie home with us tonight, we did get to say hello to him for a little while. He is doing much better, but is spending the night at the vet.

X-rays of his stomach showed a large amount of what is presumably rocks. His heart and lungs look great. He has been on fluids all day, and his temperature is now back to normal. The vet did another set of x-rays this afternoon, and the rocks are already starting to move through his intestines. So, the vet wants to watch the rocks move toward the exit and make sure everything looks OK. Boogie was definitely acting much better this afternoon. While I wouldn't say he was lethargic this morning, he definitely wasn't himself.

He is spending the night wearing The Cone, because he ripped out his IV line.

With a little luck, Boogie the Rock-Eating Wonder will be back home tomorrow. I hope so, because my floor is filthy. He has a lot of cleaning to do, if he ever wants to work off this vet bill.

As far as why he was eating rocks, I need to have that discussion with the vet tomorrow. I had another dog who ate rocks, but it never caused problems with her. He has a dog door that leads to an area with rocks; if I need to close off the dog door and walk him from now on, then that's what I'll do.

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and prayers. It really helps one's spirits to know there are people who care!

Good grief. Boogie, you noodlehead ............

Here's hoping everything passes OK.

You might try replacing your rocks with mulch. I have one who eats *that*, but it seems to pass thru without difficulty, at least in her case.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BoogieDown

Boogie is on his way home now. DH is picking him up. It looks like the rocks have passed without incident. The bummer news is he still has an elevated temperature. It had come down yesterday when he was on an IV, but it's back up again (104.5 F). His WBC count is elevated as well (I don't know what the count is). So, we are waiting on the final blood work results. Last September, he was tested for the common TBDs and Valley Fever, and all results were negative. We'll see if anything turns up this time.

In the meantime, he's on some antibiotics and a bland diet to help with the tummy. He ate breakfast this AM with gusto, and is back to his bouncy self. He hasn't thrown up yet today (so far). But I'm still worried...