Cougar - The One Left Behind

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

While Coach and Cougar were never overly involved with one another (laying together, playing, etc.) they did spend virtually 24 hours a day beside each other for 9 years. I have a feeling they were more bonded than they ever let on. Now that Cougs is an only dog, is there anything in particular that I can do to ease this transition?

He hasn't done anything too drastic yet. He did wake up about 30 minutes early and had that confused look about him. I went ahead and fed my food hound breakfast to get his mind on other things. Other than that I haven't seen anything particular other than at supper last night and breakfast this morning him checking out her food bowl when he finishes his meal because it was his habit to lick up the extra "juice" left behind in her bowl.

I do have a lady that comes by on Friday to help with the cleaning and she called me at work to chat about Coachie and mentioned that when she let Cougar out of his crate, he went to the empty spot beside his were Coach's crate used to be and whined. He is also laying in the computer room with me now as he waits another 30 minutes for supper and he would usually be on my bed in the bedroom as Coach would be in here on the dog bed.

I have snuck him extra treats to divert his mind and I made sure he got a short leash walk around the yard instead of just a potty break in the fenced yard (can't go too far since he is at peak corn life with an appt for removal tomorrow.)

Anyway, is there anything in particular I could do to help with his transition to only dog or to help him understand she is gone and not coming back?

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

Guest ChasesMum

aww poor guy. It does get easier for them, is there anything left out? We left George's beds out and Chase seemed to enjoy laying on them at first.

Otherwise... getting another dog can help!

While I still have 5 dogs, my blind dog Lynch was close to Phantom, not that they played, but they tended to stay in the same room and they ate together etc. Since Phantom has been gone, I have noticed that he rarely stays in the bedroom anymore (he and Phantom used to hang out there during the day) and stays a little closer to me now. He also is whining at dinner time, and that's something new, I figured it was because he can't finish Phantom's food anymore. :)

I kept the routine up and just give him a bit more love and attention than he used to get/require. Some dogs seem to be needier than others and he's needier than he used to be. But then Lynch needs his seeing eye buddy and this is the second one he's lost.

Give Cougar a smooch from me and my hounds. He's going to do ok, dogs seem to adjust better than we do to loss (as well as other things too.)

That's a tough one for sure. I believe they know and I believe our animals communicate with each other and we are just not privy to that conversation. I watched Misty grieve when we lost Tanner, and Wayne was here as well. I just tried to comfort her as much as I could and respect that she was grieving and gave her the time she needed.

We're thinking of him

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I wish I could help. Maybe just put away anything that was exclusively hers, especially her food dish. Maybe that will make sense to him.

When Oreo died, Sam didn't even blink. (They'd been here together for three years.) With Sam, it was "My bed, my mom, my sofa, my food." Nine days later he had to learn to share with a sister again. (And another sister who's tougher than he is.) Boy was he ticked...

FWIW--Months earlier, Sam had exhibited a bit of what I thought might be separation anxiety: he screamed himself silly when I started to go out with Oreo and leave him at home. It turned out not to be SA, but pure jealousy. The day after Oreo died, I left him at home for about half an hour, came back and parked down the street and tiptoed to the door to listen: not a sound. So he didn't care if I left him at home alone; I just wasn't allowed to leave him at home and take her with me.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I wrote you a nice, long, insightful reply, which the computer then lost :angry:

So, short version, just keep an eye on him for a few days, and he will let you know what he needs. Fletcher needed some extra attention, some reassurance, and ultimately, another dog :)

Guest TaraCoachCougar
When Oreo died, Sam didn't even blink. (They'd been here together for three years.) With Sam, it was "My bed, my mom, my sofa, my food."

I think they always leaned more to this side so hoping for a short transition period.

Beds were always up for grabs but they definately had there routine as to who laid where when on a routine day. The crate didn't come back in from my car. It's in the garage to be washed out before we put it up in the attic. Not sure I can bring my self to take away the feeding station yet.

I've thought about taking him over to sniff with our neighbor's dog or tracking down some local friends with greyhounds for a good sniffing session. Not sure if that would make him better or worse.

Not sure I can bring my self to take away the feeding station yet.

Maybe just take the bowl out of the station, so there's nothing for him to linger over.

I drove Sam crazy after Oreo's death because I'd just grab him, hold on, and bawl like a baby. (Her death was completely unexpected--a pulmonary embolism during orthopedic surgery.) Sam would tolerate the hugs and crying for a bit, then he'd pull away, get up on the sofa ("All mine!") and sleep. There's no question that I got Jacey as Oreo's successor for my sake, not for Sam's.

Just one thing changed in Sam's behavior: he started fishing tissues out of the trash can and chewing them. He'd never done that--in three years!--but he started doing it then. At the time, I thought it was just because the tissues were salty with my tears...but he's still got that bad habit today.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest ChasesMum

Sometimes a greyhound playdate is just what they need... maybe he feels like there was a "greyhound rapture" and he was left behind? lol

Funny thing is, we got George because Chase was seeming needy after I had my first DD. they were never really hanging out together much, never shared beds etc. After he died she hasnt seemed to need another dog, AND we had another DD. so go figure!

You need to talk to him. Even though they may not use words, they do sense feelings.

Suggestions to help Couger:

Maybe he needs Coachie's crate for comfort? Maybe you could drop a dog bed there if you don't want to set up her crate again. I know if something happened to Chase, Red would need to have access to/ be able to lie in Chase's crate to comfort himself.

When we lost Rex, we took Vinnie with us more. More car trips, took him to breakfast at Sonic, took him to see Nana and DD#2, extra greenies and bully sticks to chew.

When we lost Vinnie, we did the same things with Chase.

For them, week 1 was trying to do the jobs the other boy did while he was here. Week 2 was missing the brother. Week three was depression, and at that time both boys let us know they didn't want to be an only dog.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Some dogs grieve the loss of their housemates and some dogs never miss a beat. The process varies as much with them as with people.

I'd watch him for awhile to see how he's dealing with being alone, no play companion, basically anything - even potty breaks - that they did together. He may be just fine.

One thing I always try to do for the dog(s) left behind - is to let them sniff the blanket or bed or my clothing that I was wearing when their friend was put to sleep. It seems to make it final for them. I don't really know if something remains behind, or if there's anything for them to sense. Maybe this is more for me than them.

One other thing that's interesting: We have always had our dogs cremated and their ashes returned to us. If one of ours was particularly grieving or acting out, they always settled down as soon as the ashes are home.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Coach was a special girl.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest 4baddogs

This will be long, so bear with me.

When Flash died, Kirby literally moped around the house looking for him for weeks. He and Flash were best buddies and inseperable, so he looked for him constantly and didn't understand where he was. Kirby sleeps in our bed but every night for the first few weeks after Flashy died, he would sleep in his bed. Jesse and Zoe looked for him for about a week and that was it.

A year later when Nate died, Zoe moped around the house looking for him for weeks. She and Nate had bonded like nothing I had seen before. Zoe definitely lives life on her own terms and doesn't care about the other dogs, but she LOVED Nate. Kirby and Jesse looked for him for a couple of days and that was it.

Jesse died this past June. Zoe and Kirby both seemed to be incredibly depressed for a long time. Neither of them would eat for a few days and they paced the house constantly as if looking for her.

I would look for signs with Cougar to see if he's acting different. Maybe use something that still has Coach's scent on it to comfort him.

when my Sicily passed Missy was very sad..Sicily had fallen during the day when they were home alone and was paralyzed (hind legs) when I walked in the door I found Missy attempting to lift Sicily up with her head..so sad. She was so depressed for weeks..we gave her extra attention and love as much as possible,,but she was lonely for another dog. Shortly after adopting Garry we had our old Missy back again.

I would say give him some time..keep your routine normal...give him extra attention...he may decide he likes being an only dog or he may be one of those dogs that does better with a buddy. Good luck and I am sorry for your loss as well.

Guest cjsgreys

When Parris passed away our Abby became an only dog. We decided we were going to stay a 1 dog household and foster. Abby would have company yet, with the exception of losing Abby, we wouldn't go through the heartbreak of losing another precious hound. It just hurt too much.

Abby never seemed to care that Parris was alive. They didn't hang out together or even stay in the same room, yet when he was gone, she changed. We didn't notice it at first, but in hindsite, she became more clingy, more anxious with new dogs coming & going. She actually became aggressive with them...fearful.

A big goofy foster boy arrived 6 months later and bowled her over (literally), Tiger's been with us 4 years now. We added foster Crystal to the pack a year later.

Abby's never been happier.

Give yourselves & Cougar a little time to adjust & grieve. Adding a girlfriend may be what he needs.

Edited by cjsgreys

Guest greybookends

They all react differently to the loss of their companions.

Years ago when I lost my first GH my Keeshund was devastated. For 2 weeks every time he looked at the door he would come barking at me as if to ask " What did you do with her and when is she coming back?", we ended up getting another dog to calm him down.

This week after the loss of Tasha I have not seen any grieving but I have seen a change in the 4 remaining hounds, most notably in Bill. Nothing to worry about mostly just pack structure and Bill being a bit more assertive.

I understand what you are going through. Sometimes they just need a little time. Sometimes they need a companion. You will figure it out for yourself. No one else can tell you what you should do. Every situation is unique.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest greyscot

When my grey Sporty lost his little sister Shirley (non grey) he was clearly distressed. Every time I went out and came back he appeared to be looking for her. I left her crate, blankets toys and food bowls out for a few weeks after she died and Sporty kept sniffing them or snuggling with a toy which seemed to comfort him. She died the end of October last year and I honestly believe he is only now settling down to being an only dog. Ive put away everything of Shirleys except some toys and even now he'll go and sniff them or snuggle with them.

I think like humans they each need their own time to grieve and move on. I've thought about getting a companion for Sporty but I'm not ready and I don't think it is fair to get a new dog unless you are 100% commited. So for now we have longer walks, more play time and more cuddles which seems to help for him.

Hopefully once his corn is removed you may be able to walk Cougs more and that may help. It's really hard watching them be upset isn't it?

:grouphug to you and Cougs.