Anubis Is Limping :( :( Updt Post 13, Not Limping :)

I don't know how much more worry we can take anymore :( :( :(

Nube just came up limping this evening :( We have both of them gated off in our living room/dining room area (as Rainey recoveres from bloat surgery :( :() and one of us has been with him 24/7 since 2/3 and as far as we know, he didn't injure it. :(

it seems to have started just a couple hours ago -- after snoozing in his slumber ball, when he gets up he's quite lame -- but after being up for a few minutes, he starts putting more weight on it and the limp becomes much less (but still there). Of course, "LIMP" immediately is freaking us out :( :( -- but if it was something like C, I wouldn't think it would get any better after a few minutes??? Does that sound more like a muscle pull or something??? we checked out his paw and leg and there doesn't seem to be any injury or dislocation.... this has happened 3 times in the last couple hours....

can I give him regular aspirin? We used to give our Lab Chester an aspirin if he had soreness and it really helped....we also have some Tramadol left from Rainey's recent surgery (she actually didn't need to use ANY of it!) but I'm not sure about that?

any advice or any info that may make us stop freeking out? :( :( :( if he's still limping tomorrow we'll take him in for Xrays :( :(

thanks in advance.... :sad1

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Maybe some arthritis? That usually mimics what you're describing.

If I'm going to use asprin, I use Ascriptin so there's no chance of stomach upset. Tramadol is safe to use.

If you use either and then decide to take him to the vet, just be sure to tell them what you've given.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Feel his feet (and his legs). Does one feel hotter than the other? If you gently squeeze his pads, does he object?

And does the limping seem to be a foot? Or a leg? Or just a hitch in how he walks? And how old is Anubis?

He could have a corn starting to develop: totally non lethal but certainly warranting a limp. And check his toenails--make sure one isn't cracked or otherwise annoying him when he walks.

My Sam is nearly 9. Every now and then, he limps a bit. He usually shakes it off quickly, and it's not a limp I can pin down and say "foot" or "knee" or "shoulder" or whatever; it's just a sort of "hitch" in his walk. The vet saw Sam last month (annual checkup) and saw no signs of arthritis, spinal trouble, or anything else for me to worry about.

And then I remember that I'm fifty-*mumble* years old...and when I get up after a couple of hours on the couch, I'm not moving too gracefully, either.

I'm not saying, "Don't call the vet." I'm just saying, "Don't panic."

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hoping all is fine. Thinking good thoughts for Nube.

:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

My advice would be to try not to jump to conclusions, although I know that's a lot easier said than done. I worried myself sick when Sunny started limping just before Christmas (having lost a young greyhound to osteo a couple of years ago) but it turned out to be a trapped nerve between his shoulder blades. There are lots of things it could be at this stage, so try to take one step at a time. Also, if your vet can't find a reason for the limping and thinks it would be appropriate, consider seeking the services of a chiropractor. I took Sunny to one and was very impressed.

I hope it turns out to be something easily sorted :candle .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Don't panic. Yes, it might be OS, but there are a whole truckload of things it is more likely to be. All of mine have displayed similar symptoms to this at times, and none had osteosarcoma. In the end, Renie limped because of a tumour in her spine, but that is most unusual, and it wasn't OS.

Mostly the limps have been muscle strains, bruising, arthritis, corns, or just cramps. :)

Take him in for a check up - it's what I would do if the limp persisted more than a day or two - but try not to worry till you know. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Try not to panic. My Jukebox started limping 3 days ago. When it wasn't gone yesterday I took him to the vet for x-rays. They were clean. She thinks he probably twisted it and since he is 9 it is most likely. Unless it is severe I usually give a limp 3 days before going to the vet. My oldest, Jesse, limps from time to time and after exams and x-rays it is just arthritis. So take him to the vet if you are really worried but know it is more likely to be something simple.

Oh no. Like you need more worries. But I agree with others who have said it could be several things. I also agree that Ascriptin or Tramadol are much better than aspirin.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

I hope it's nothing serious!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

HI guys, thanks so much for the advice and good thoughts!!!!

Nube is not limping at all today (yay!) -- he was fine from the minute he woke up and according to Dr. Bruce (home with the patient(s) today :)) he hasn't limped at all. :) :) He was really limping badly last night, which is why we were so worried....plus (and I'm sure I'm not the only one! :blush that gets worried at a limp :( :() ...plus after the roller coaster we've been on with Rainey we're a little gun shy I would say! (I would have updated sooner but I had to go in to work...)

I'm glad I asked, because now we have a good idea of the options we can use to help either of them if they come up lame again. The coated aspirin is a great idea -- we just used plain old generic stuff with our Lab, he had a stomach of iron so we never had any problems....

thanks again for the help!!! :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Good to hear Nubes not limping.

Doesn't rainey get her stitches tomorrow?

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Good to hear Nubes not limping.

Doesn't rainey get her stitches tomorrow?

Rich

unfortunately, she doesn't get them out until Tuesday at 9:30am -- for whatever reason they (at the E-vet) want the head surgeon that did the surery to take them out? I'm not sure why we can't just bring her in over the weekend and have a vet tech remove them (Sunday would be 12 days, they said 10-14?)...so that means Bruce is on patient duty on Monday and I'll have to take Tuesday off to get her in....I'm so lucky I have a great boss! :)

It will be nice to move out of "Middle Earth" and go back to normal, with all of us snuggling in bed together :) Although Nube I'm SURE has been digging snuggling up top on the bed with mom all to himself the past couple weeks :wub: :wub: (although he steals the covers from me every night! <_<) :lol