Coach Is Not Having A Good Day

Guest TaraCoachCougar

:candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Night was restful, but now she can't even use the upper part of her leg. Headed to vet to try pain patch. If that doesn't work, she'll be ready to go.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Coach is with the most wonderful compassionate vet in the world right now. He has a very calming effect on me.

In the middle of the night, I started thinking that if I could get her in her crate (where she spends her days anyway) then it would be a two person job, but DH and I could carry her down the steps and put her in the car without freaking her out by pulling and lifting her body. (Seems obvious now, right?) She ate really well (kibble and cottage cheese) then went into the sunroom to relieve herself. The she just stood like she was afraid to lay down (there's a dog bed in there that she was actually standing and then peeing on.) I drug her crate into the sunroom right in front of her, but she didn't look like she was going to move. She screamed bloody murder when I pushed her in, but I just kept telling her I was sorry and kept pushing/guiding her in and she did settle quickly and lay down. DH and I were able to lift her up, through the house, down the steps and up into the back of the Sorento without freaking her out too bad. She remained laying down all the way to the vet (about an hour or so because my DH had to drive the other car and drop Greyson off at school on the way). She was even eating bacon treat strips while we were waiting on DH.

When we got to the vet we carried her to the back to her "fence" and we removed her crate top and they lifted her up and over to her bed and the bed of blankets they had made. This literally scared the poop out of her. :D The vet said better for it to be out than in. So they got a shot of morphine in her and maybe something else. After pets and kisses and a picture that I"ll try to get posted later, I went back into the regular room and they got her started on her iv (can't remember what was in it) and I got to see her x-rays from Sat and go over everything with the vet while DH was at CVS getting her pain patch prescription filled.

We are to go back at 5pm after her drip has finished to pick her up. Full effect may take 24 hours so I guess it will be another day before we really know if this is helpful.

I'm doing better because she is in good capable hands (with lots of drugs that I don't have access to), I am no longer stressed about how to get her out of the house and I know she will go ahead and just use the floor if she needs to.

Oh, and I got the most compassionate e-mail reply from my vet last night around 10:30 (I saw it when Coach got up around 3am). I think I'll print it out and put it in her little scrapbook.

Off to love on Cougs before I jet back out of here. Lunch at son's school and then I'll probably go into work for a bit. More to keep me doing something than any one thing in particular that has to been done today.

Keep the prayers floating up for Miss Coachie. She's still fighting.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Good suggestion on the pee pads. There is a Petsmart right down the road from the vet, so we may try that out. We do have wood floors with rugs so a little steam cleaning should do the trick.

Headed back to vet to pick her up as her drip should be finishing up. I called about 3 hours ago just to see how she was doing and the vet tech said she was restful and comfortable. Wonder if they could hook me up to the drip for a few minutes? Actually, I'm doing ok today. It's tonight and tomorrow that I'm worried about.

Trying to remain hopeful,

Vet had mentioned a couple other medications that might could be added in but I don't recall the names. He is hoping if we can get past this big block of pain from her incident Saturday that she might tolerate at lower oral doses again. Trying to believe him.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Back from the vet and have pee pads. She came out of her crate and about lost her back legs and still isn't putting any weight on the front bad leg. She is still very woozy from her drip. DH and I managed to get her over to a dog bed on the floor and I petted her for a good bit and she laid down flat on her side and has been there for about an hour. I'm hoping she spends another couple of hours there. Walking on egg shells that she's going to get up before she is ready to use at least 3 legs. She's comfortable and medicated for now. Praying for big improvement by morning.

Tomorrow will be a better day. :hope:candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My heart is going out to you and Coach. I know what a horrible emotional rollercoaster this is when all you want is peace for your baby. Have a good sleep Coach and a much better day tomorrow sweetie.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sending prayers for your girl. I see someone mentioned neurontin; it is one of the pain meds I take for my feet (I have chronic, sometimes severe, pain from arthritis and diabetic neuropathy) and the combination of neurontin and tramadol for me is a godsend.

I just hope your girl can get over this hurdle and have some more good days with you. It makes me so sad that you and Coach are having to go thru this.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Tonight has had ups and downs. Coach slept pretty well from 8pm to 11pm. Then she tried to get up. No weight is going on that front leg at all. When she stands and walks she is now hopping like a rabbit and she can't make it very far. She has peed twice and we just had a little bit of poop. She began whining at 3:30 and about 4:45 we started feeding her a good bit of treats. Now she is just laying awkardly on her bed.