Just Got My Rescue Greyhound

Guest Blaze

HI

Oh we love him so much!

His name is Blaze - Able to Blaze was his race name.

the agency said that he is only three weeks off the track (I don't know if it's true or not) but I heard that there are some nasty worms at tracks and we should de-worm him - well I read that in my research a few months ago and now I can't find it or the recommended product.

Any advise?

thanks for your reply!

Karen & Greg & Blaze

Blaze013.jpg

Edited by Blaze

Guest Redpack

Make an appointment with a veterinarian asap to check out your new houndie. Worms can be nasty and hard to get rid of and the vet can prescribe the best thing for him. It is also good just to get a check-up and to get him on flea/tick and heartworm prevention.

Congratulations on your new pup and welcome to GT!

Guest PhillyPups

Congratulations on your new boy, he is quite handsome.

I did look him up on greyhound data, and would like to share lesson number two with you, do not believe everything you are told about the track, unless it is someone who was right there at the time.

Here is Blaze's data page which lists his last race as August 7, 2007.

Good luck, enjoy, and ask a vet to check for worms. BUT worms can be gotten at home as well as anywhere else. :)

Welcome to GT :wave it is a wealth of information.

I did look him up on greyhound data, and would like to share lesson number two with you, do not believe everything you are told about the track, unless it is someone who was right there at the time.

Good luck, enjoy, and ask a vet to check for worms. BUT worms can be gotten at home as well as anywhere else. :)

YES! Oh you guys are terrific -

yes - I saw he didn't race this year - where do you suppose he's been?

the agency said that he is only three weeks off the track

That means the group picked him up three weeks ago. He could have been on a farm for a long time, then moved a track kennel to wait for placement with an adoption group.

The greyhound should have had his medical work done if he came from a group, that's what I would think. If not, find some support for you and your greyhound thru another adoption group. You will have questions.

I will probably be sorry I brought this up. If the adoption group was given the greyhound by a track or kennel, it was placed into an adoption program. They give the greyhound to the group, he did not need to be rescued.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest ArtysPeople

I would definitely call the agency back and find out what if anything they've done in terms of vetting. Our group gives all dogs a round of two different dewormers (I don't remember the names right now, one is a liquid and one is pills) along with a flea/tick treatment within a day or two of arrival. We also test for four different tick borne illnesses (it's a 4-in-1 blood test). If they haven't done these things, you should make an appointment with a grey-savy vet in your area ASAP to have them done.

ETA: It's not that there are particularly "nasty" worms at the tracks, it's just that there are a LOT of dogs there (duh), so it's very easy for things to spread. The worms are the same ones that you might find at any public park. We assume everyone who comes off the track needs de-worming, and it's almost always true.

Oh, and welcome to GT and congratulations!

Edited by ArtysPeople

YES! Oh you guys are terrific -

yes - I saw he didn't race this year - where do you suppose he's been?

As Trudy said, there are tracks that don't report to Greyhound-data....you might check on Birmingham's site to see if he ran there. I can't get to the site while I am at work but if you google it you can easily find it.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

It doesn't matter where he's been...it's where he is now! Home. :clap And...he and my boy, Iggy, have the same daddy, so welcome, half-bro. :welcome

Hi! And welcome to GT!! Your Blaze's great great grandfather (Rooster Cogburn) was my Cody's grandfather!

Have fun on your learning-all-about-greyhounds journey!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest ArtysPeople
It doesn't matter where he's been...it's where he is now! Home. :clap And...he and my boy, Iggy, have the same daddy, so welcome, half-bro. :welcome

I believe that's what is known on GT as a "brother from another mother". :lol

Our group takes care of all of that before they can go to their forever home. Agree that it is always best to go for a check up after coming home with you. And yes, not all track report on Grehound Data. Welcome home to your forever counch and welcome to GT.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Ditto!! And congratulations

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

oh yes - we are so glad to have him no matter where he's been! Greg made an appointment for him, so we'll get him checked out.

Wow! Family! I guess i shouldn't be too surprised his dad really got around! :D Still this is very cool

Hi new Brothers and Cousins!

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Hi and welcome! Blaze is beautiful! And he is related to my Jesse. Jesse's dad is Wigwam Wag, your Blaze's grandfather. :) Did you adopt him through a group? If so please ask them what vet work has been done. No need to repeat if things have already been done.

His last race, according to tracklink, was 5-14-2008. Oftentimes Greyhound Data is not accurate with races. My Lucius is missing a year's worth of races on greyhound data. Go there, click on dog/raceline viewer and type his name in. His races are all there, unless he was at a track that does not report it.

Congrats on your new pup! :confetti

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Oh what a handsome boy! Congratulations! :confetti Get him into the vet for a full workup and tests. When you go to the vet, bring a fresh stool sample with you and if you can a fresh urine sample too.

He has the same grandfather as our Leah, racing name, Jeste Brave, gramps, Wigwam Wag. He is one handsome guy.

He looks just like her. He raced at Southland which is the track our Cody who is 13 raced at. His racing name, Blizzard Man.

Lots of cuzzins by the duzzins!!!

Welcome

Welcome home sweetheart! :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.