• Just take them out to potty
    • 15 Minutes
    • 20 Minutes
    • 30 Minutes
    • 45 Minutes
    • 1 Hour
    • 2 or more hours
  3. 3. How Do You Walk Them?

• I leisurely walk them, allowing my grey to stop me constantly and do what ever they want to do
    • I leisurely walk them, allowing my grey to stop me sometimes
    • I walk at a decent pace with them but still let them stop me and do what ever they want
    • I walk at a decent pace with them but they don't get to stop everytime they want, only occassionally
    • I almost power walk with them and they don't get to stop unless i am ready to
    • I jog with them and they don't get to stop until i am ready to
    • I hike with them more than "walk" with them
    • I can't describe how i walk with my grey

What does migrating have to do with walking your dog?

Migrating IS walking your dog. A structured walk.

Dogs are genetically programmed to migrate in search of food, shelter and territory. It is the term that most behaviorists use to describe "roaming in search of". It's just a word to describe the style of walking that a dog does when he or she is on a mission.

Numerous times, i've made people change their walking styles because their dogs can not handle having a territory. The dogs have severe anxiety.

Edited to add:

We, humans, tend to be guilty of applying human psychology to our canine companions. We assume our dogs enjoy leisurely walks where they get to stop every 3 feet and urinate. We often think "wow, how can one dog pee so much?". That is because your dogs stops and lifts it's leg or squats and lets a little urine out at a time but always seems to have some in reserve. The truth is, they are marking "their territory" and this gives them anxiety! Think about it, everyday you do this leisurely walk where your dog marks every spot that he or she can. The next day, you go on another leisurely walk and your dog starts sniffing the same spots and realizes that some other dog has come along and marked over the area that they claimed the day before. This happens every day, 7 days a week for a month to a year. Wouldn't you feel anxious over "who's been invading my territory?" That would be like someone entering your house every day and you couldn't stop them from sitting on your couch and watching. You have NO control over the situation. All you can do is repeatedly ask for that person to leave your house but, yet, they never do. Dogs do not see the world as us, they see it in terms of what is theirs and what is not.

I don't agree with this at all....for my dogs their is no greater joy than checking out who and what has been in their "world"....to prevent them from doing this would be, to say the least, unkind.

To the person whose dogs are lucky enough to have two acres to roam around in, all I can say to that is lucky them and lucky you, if only we were all so fortunate :rolleyes: On the other hand my dog has over six hundred acres of country park to explore....it isn't securely fenced in...but then that's what you have recall for. ;)

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

We walk every day (weather permitting...and sometimes work gets in the way too). I go on at least one walk per day, a minimum of 30 minutes at about a 3.5 mph pace...so that's pretty brisk (seniors go on shorter walks). The lure coursing dogs always go and then I rotate other dogs through. So, Echo and Rocky are on the "alway walk" list. I walk four at a time...occasionally 5, so that leaves two (or 3) others to cycle through with me. DH usually goes with me too, so that's another 4 that walk with him. Some days I'll do two outings and the lure coursers may or may not go on that one.

We walk briskly, with loose leashes. They don't have to walk at a "heel" but the leash must be loose (four foot leashes) and we must be walking together as unit or a pack....basically, everyone on the same page. I don't let them potty in people's yards, but there are a few areas where I can let them stop and sniff around for a couple minutes. For the most part, they are usually more interested in keeping on with the walking. It's awesome...we all get in a groove and just truck on down the road together. It has greatly helped some of the more PITA dogs to be more mindful of me ( *cough* Rocky and Scout *cough*) and I think the newer dogs have melded in much more quickly and bonded with the pack. If we were to go out and each dog could just do their own thing and wander, sniff, pee whenever/wherever they wanted to I don't think I'd see the same effect. Sure, that kind of walk has a time and place, but our daily walks are for exercise and 'gelling'. Hard to 'splain, but it happens. Not sure how related the effects of our walk are to the migratory patterns of wolves, dogs or other canids. But, I think getting out and getting everyone moving together and experiencing things together has been beneficial to our pack.

We also have a large fenced area (about an acre) for the dogs to run in...and they do. But walks are completely different and fulfill a different desire in the dogs. They are definitely more content when we are walking regularly. They love their walkies!!

Edited by KennelMom

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Josey gets at least once walk almost every single day, but sometimes more. But she is also a dog that goes almost everyplace with me. We go on several hikes per week, of about 3 miles. They are at a good pace usually hill climbing and she is allowed to stop and sniff. I have a 1-2 minute limit per stop though. Then we move on. We also walk along our local bike path and do quick jaunts around the neighborhood, but almost all walks she gets are a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour. Usually more. And a lot of her walks have a park on the way so I can let her do her zoomies off leash. We also go on 7-10 mile hikes, but those are up in the mountains, and the weather here is not currently favorable for those hikes.

We do have a backyard that she can run around in, but try not to rely on that. The walks are as much mental stimulation as they are exercise, and since we all enjoy being together, it's a nice bonding thing. I just love looking down at JoBean and she so happy walking with me that she just keeps looking back at me and smiling as if to say "this is just so much fun, isn't it?"

Edited by LoveMyJoseyBean

We walk briskly, with loose leashes. They don't have to walk at a "heel" but the leash must be loose (four foot leashes) and we must be walking together as unit or a pack....basically, everyone on the same page.

We also have a large fenced area (about an acre) for the dogs to run in...and they do. But walks are completely different and fulfill a different desire in the dogs. They are definitely more content when we are walking regularly. They love their walkies!!

:nod (minus the large fenced yard part, we don't have that, although I try to get them off-lead time once a week)

I would echo what others have said - although I think walks offer something different than other types of exercise/play, as long as the dog is getting ample physical and mental stimulation, I don't suppose I care all that much as long as it works for you. At least from an adoption standpoint, I would place to someone who couldn't do daily long walks but who had a large pack of dogs that could run on multiple acres.

The problem, imho is that many people have dogs (particularly greyhounds) who are okay with roaming around the yard for a bit each day and/or maybe taking some potty walks. Okay in that they don't have any particular difficult behavioral issues, but it doesn't mean that the dog is really fulfilled. I was reminded that this is even partially true for my own dogs (who do get 1 hour daily long walks plus several potty breaks, plus hikes or trips to the dog park on weekends) when I took Zuri on vacation with me to a cabin out in the middle of nowhere with DBF and his male dog, Tiber. Every day we were there started with off lead playtime - usually involving a combination of playing with each other, running laps around the pond, and playing fetch, either in the grass or running into the pond to retrieve the balls. We would be in and out of the house all day, maybe go for a hike or just hang out, then later in the day there would be more playtime. Occasionally the cabin owner's poodle would come over and join in. At some point in the day they'd also get a big meal of raw food, and each day I also worked in either playing some hide and go seek with Zuri outside, or doing clicker training/shaping inside. At the end of every day, the dog's were totally exhausted and I would look at them sleeping and think, this is what a dog's life should be like.

I encourage anyone who doesn't already to put a leash on your dog and take a long walk a few times a week, or play fetch inside iwth your dog, or play a number of other interactive games (Patricia McConnell and Pat Miller have both recently published booklets on playing with your dogs) with him, take an obedience class and work on the training several times a day, take your dog to a local park and let him interact with a lot of people if he enjoys that, split up meals into smaller portions and hide them around the house so he has to "hunt" for them, etc. In other words, DO things with your dog. And at the end of the day, watch your dog totally zonked out on the couch or dog bed and know you did your best for a dog that has ultimately been domesticated for our own pleasure.

Whew, I have no idea where that came from. :blah:P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ArtysPeople
The problem, imho is that many people have dogs (particularly greyhounds) who are okay with roaming around the yard for a bit each day and/or maybe taking some potty walks. Okay in that they don't have any particular difficult behavioral issues, but it doesn't mean that the dog is really fulfilled. I was reminded that this is even partially true for my own dogs (who do get 1 hour daily long walks plus several potty breaks, plus hikes or trips to the dog park on weekends) when I took Zuri on vacation with me to a cabin out in the middle of nowhere with DBF and his male dog, Tiber. Every day we were there started with off lead playtime - usually involving a combination of playing with each other, running laps around the pond, and playing fetch, either in the grass or running into the pond to retrieve the balls. We would be in and out of the house all day, maybe go for a hike or just hang out, then later in the day there would be more playtime. Occasionally the cabin owner's poodle would come over and join in. At some point in the day they'd also get a big meal of raw food, and each day I also worked in either playing some hide and go seek with Zuri outside, or doing clicker training/shaping inside. At the end of every day, the dog's were totally exhausted and I would look at them sleeping and think, this is what a dog's life should be like.

I just wanted to say, I would be so much more fulfilled if that's how my days went, too. Seriously, it sounds a lot like paradise to me. :D

Guest BooBooMama
The walking of a dog is kind of a topic of debate for me. Being on the behavioral end of the canine world, it has come to be known that most people don't walk their dogs. They allow them in the back yard to just run around and they think that is proper exercise. Due to one reason or another, they just prefer not to walk their dogs. I find big problems with this.

To me letting them run around a HUGE backyard at warp speed chasing each other, the trash truck or other things far outweighs anything I could do trotting behind them holding onto a a leash in the name of exercise. My guys get walked once day weather permitting but that is mostly to check P-mail and get enrichment as opposed to exercise.

This is the way it was explained to me: The difference is like comparing a fast sprint to a long jog for a human. A longer steady jog bulds endurance and strengthens the heart. A fast sprint builds muscle. It is good to mix the two- for health reasons. But daily walks are best for training and bonding.

Guest BooBooMama

OK I admit it- I love watching the Dog Whisperer! (Anyone else?) Ceasar states that dog walking is not just the key to calming a pet but establishes your pack position. Wild dog/ wolf packs are always in search of food and they always follow the leader. By walking your dog you establish yourself as the pack leader. Running free in the yard is fun but does not have the same effect.

It sounds like Let's Migrate follows that same theory. I would love to hear more about it!

Tony here......"potential greyhound owner". I walked my previous dog Echo (rhodesian / shepherd mix) twice / day, morning and late afternoon. We walked 1.6 - 2 miles per walk. I go with the theory that a tired dog is a happy dog. I'm a fan of Cesar Mellan who strongly believes that walks are the best way for owners to bond with their dogs. You get to know each other very well, the dog gets his exercise and gets to see new surroundings and things going on outside the back yard. On walks you can also show your dog who's the boss. You lead him vs. him walking you which I see a lot of people making that mistake. So yes, Im a big fan of walking dogs. I think it's the best thing you could do with them.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest Winterwish

Guess it has to do with where I'm from,but that "it's come to be known that most people don't walk their dogs" is not at all true here. Everyone I know walks their dogs and always have. :dunno Not for establishing this that or the other,no power trips,it's just what we do.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest shelbygirl07
Guess it has to do with where I'm from,but that "it's come to be known that most people don't walk their dogs" is not at all true here. Everyone I know walks their dogs and always have. :dunno Not for establishing this that or the other,no power trips,it's just what we do.

The people that i see daily, this statement is true. I know because that is what they tell me, daily.

This has nothing to do with a power trip, it has nothing to do with wanting to be in control of your dog. No one wants to have to control anything, they just feel that certain structure is neccessary. It has more to do with mental stimulation through structure. I loose lease walk my dogs. I don't force them to keep their heads up or force them to heel. I just don't stop until i feel it is neccessary. I can tell you that when i started structured walks, Shelby just started heeling next to me on her own and kept tripping over her leash because i gave her the full 6 feet of it. When i realized it was bothering her to be tripping all the time, i just took part of her leash and drapped it over my arm so if she wanted the 6 feet, it would be easily available to her. Truth is, she didn't need it, she WANTED to walk next to me, heeling is something she taught herself. People laugh when i tell them that. THey ask me "what kind of dog WANTS to heel next to a person?". My response is always the same. I laugh and say "well, one who is in tune with you"

That doesn't sound like anxiety to me. Sounds like she really enjoyed walking on the bike path and sniffing pee-mail, and she couldn't wait to get there! :)

I'd have to say that it definitely was anxiety. She would be ok for a minute and shake violently when she came up on one of her spots and she would go into statue mode when she would smell that spot. She basically shut down on me and i couldn't easily snap her out of it. She would just tremble and shake not to mention her eyes would pop out of her head (not litterally lol) and it was breaking my heart because i wanted her to enjoy her walks, not be anxious about them. I never fully believed in the "migration theory" either until i felt i had no other option but to try it. When i did, the world bloomed for my girl. The violent shaking stopped and she started smiling on her walks, head held high and her confidence returned to the point that it exceeded what confidence she had previously. Things have gotten so good for us, i just take her leash and tie it to her back-pack and she heels next to me. I don't need a leash on her if we are at the state park or if we are on the bike path. She never strays. This is possible because she has no prey drive. If she did, i couldn't trust that she won't take off. I know i can trust her, she's proven to me that she can be. We walk like we are one. I can't describe why i feel that way besides that she is so in tune with me when we hike, walk or jog that i don't have to really say anything to her. If she does stop to smell something on our walks and i'm not ready to stop, i just say "let's go, girlie" and she just trots back to me and rubs her nose on my hand. That was her way of letting me know that she's caught up to me and we continue on our way. Would this be possible without applying the migration theory to our walks? It's hard to say but i am convinced that most likely it wouldn't have been since nothing else i tried had worked.

I never said it didn't work, just that I suspected it would hold less true for ex-racers than for "regular" dogs. Nor did I ever mean to suggest that it destroyed relationships or caused damage. That having been said, I appreciate you sharing more details of your experience. I like hearing these things, then watching the dogs I know to see if or how I feel they apply.

Sorry if i made you think that i was accusing you of saying that. I truly wasn't. I have been asked that question before by some really strange people. These are the same people who's dogs spend 22 hours a day in a crate and never get to leave the house.

Every dog is different. I firmly believe that a structured walk can benefit all dogs, some more than others but it is still beneficial. A structured walk can help the humans too. It's more of a confidence booster for the humans who aren't very confident in their lives. I have a woman who is "bi-polar" and she has a Lab who bosses her around constantly. He would hyper-focus on her legs and then just tear into her when he didn't want to walk anymore. That is because she never gave him boundaries when outside the house. She would let him stop her every step of the way and use his body weight so she couldn't move him. She was frantic about it. The reason she got the dog was to get exercise for herself to help her blow off stress that could lead her to a downward spiral given her diagnosed problem. Her doctor told her a dog would help her get exercise and give her something to focus on. Her family agreed to help out with the dog but the dog became out of control when out on a walk. She came in crying one day telling me that her dog was going to kill her and she showed me the bite marks all over her legs and said that every pair of pants she owned were now ripped. this woman is only 20 years old.

I worked over the course of 3 weeks, 3 times a week and met her at her house and showed her proof that she could walk her dog if she just structured that walk. We took walks together and it helped to boost her confidence. I held the leash for the first 2 weeks during our walks because she was so scared that the dog would bite her and she would fail. One day i passed the leash on to her during the walk and she just kept walking with him. She hasn't had a problem since. She came to see me, hugged me and asked me what my biggest guilty pleasure was. I told her i didn't really have one but peanut M&Ms are a weakness of mine. She came back the next day with 2 huge bags of peanut M&Ms and a thank you card. She hugged me and wouldn't let go. She told me i saved her life and her sanity. When i go hiking, i always call her and ask her if she wants to join me and we go together. It is my way to help her maintain her confidence. Do i get paid for house calls or "maintanance" like that? Nope, i don't, i'm not supposed to make house calls for the store. I just can't stop from wanting to help people better themselves and the lives of their dogs. if they come to me for help, they really need it. They don't have a mild interest in fixing an issue, they are usually desperate and at wits end. To know that i can pay it forward and truly help, that's worth more to me than money.

Here is a couple pictures of shelby hiking off leash

ShelbyatWellsPark1110200822.jpg

Shelbyatthebikepath11110815.jpg

Guest LindsaySF
I don't need a leash on her if we are at the state park or if we are on the bike path.

What if a bicyclist comes by and Shelby is in their way?

She never strays. This is possible because she has no prey drive. If she did, i couldn't trust that she won't take off. I know i can trust her, she's proven to me that she can be.

Isn't this the same dog that bolted out the door and you had to chase her down the street and tackle her to get her back? How did you get her to be so trustworthy off the leash?

No one wants to have to control anything, they just feel that certain structure is neccessary. It has more to do with mental stimulation through structure.
I firmly believe that a structured walk can benefit all dogs, some more than others but it is still beneficial. A structured walk can help the humans too.
I never fully believed in the "migration theory" either until i felt i had no other option but to try it. When i did, the world bloomed for my girl.

Can you explain what you mean here? I thought by "structured walk" you meant walking with a purpose, no pee-mail, at a fast pace, possibly covering large distances. How does the walk have this structure if your dog is off-leash? Are you constantly giving her verbal commands?

How would someone "apply the migration theory" to their walks with their dog? How is it different from a "normal" walk? Is a walk with no sniffing or stopping a migration type of walk?

~Lindsay~

we walk 3 times a day when i am home, twice if i am working. at least one of those is letting them run free in the fenced 6 acre field across the road. we generally go out for at least 30 min. unless the weather is really bad, in which case we may confine the trip to 'business only'.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest mtnbluebird

Right now with the winter months, and Folsom with a significant limp that he's on pain meds for (a long story, no one knows what's wrong with the poor dude) the boys get 4 outings, 6:30am a quick leashed potty walk in the frontyard, a longer walk that my BF gives them before leaving for work, I'm not sure how long that takes, but probably about 15 minutes, then the first thing I do when I get home anytime between 4:00 and 5:00 is take the hounds for another walk, at least 30 minutes, a quarter to half a mile. Then between 9:30 and 10:00pm the hounds get another quick pee break before bed.

In the summer, when we only had 1 hound the afternoon walks would be a mile long, and would last probably about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on how many times Folsom would stop to sniff or stop to say Hi to neighbors. The half mile walks now take 30 minutes because Folsom is just THAT SLOW. It makes me sad :-(

Guest Winterwish

The people that i see daily, this statement is true. I know because that is what they tell me, daily.

This has nothing to do with a power trip, it has nothing to do with wanting to be in control of your dog. No one wants to have to control anything, they just feel that certain structure is neccessary. It has more to do with mental stimulation through structure. I loose lease walk my dogs....

People laugh when i tell them that. THey ask me "what kind of dog WANTS to heel next to a person?". My response is always the same. I laugh and say "well, one who is in tune with you...

Well where you live that may be true,I haven't got the slightest idea. As I said,where I live it is not true. 

Regarding the power plays,yes,some of the choices in the poll,and a couple of answers posted,are absolutely about the need for power and control within the person. 

Regarding the loose leash - this is very much one of the many beautiful hallmarks of walking with a greyhound. Walking along with a greyhound on a slack leash is very typical. 

There have been posters,and I haven't seen this here in the last 4 years until recently,who talk about not letting their dog just enjoy their walk at their own natural pace,or not allowing the dog to sniff trees,or they make the dog walk behind them and things like that. Several of the responses in the poll itself,that you posted,point to exactly that kind of thing. So yes,there is a power/ego driven thing that's happening here with regards to simply walking a dog.

It's an important thing to think about that. It is. Are people doing these things for the dog or for themselves and their own need for control?

Edited by Winterwish

I guess I need to go tell my dogs they lead a boring, neglected life because they live on 2 acres, and don't get walks. The racing around the property, the frisbee throwing, the dogball games, the swimming pools, and all the deer, bunnies and squirrels to chase just aren't enough stimulation. I think my dogs would disagree and feel sorry for all the leash walked dogs. Most of mine get a leash put on them once a year to go to the vet, and every day is like going to the dog park only better...no little fluffy dogs to worry about.

Shhhh Don't let mine know about the deprived life yours lead. They'd pack their bowls and move :lol

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Che_mar_Cody
It's an important thing to think about that. It is. Are people doing these things for the dog or for themselves and their own need for control?

Since I stated that I have structured walks at times with my pup, I want to clarify that for me it has nothing to do about controlling Cody - it's team work. It's the same reason I went with him through agility to make our bond better. What I learned is to really read my pups body language. Our "structured" walks are loose lead, and as far as talking during this you bet. I talk to Cody all the time during any walk and even rides in the car.

THey ask me "what kind of dog WANTS to heel next to a person?". My response is always the same. I laugh and say "well, one who is in tune with you"

I can't agree with you more. For me & Cody it's a "safe/trust" spot. He knows that if he's afraid for any reason, all he needs to do is stay on my right hand side close to my leg. It works for more then just walks too. When it storms, or he hears loud noises, etc. he's at my side, not pulling or bolting to get away...he's in tune with me knowing I'll do what ever it takes to protect him.

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

What does migrating have to do with walking your dog?

Migrating IS walking your dog. A structured walk.

Dogs are genetically programmed to migrate in search of food, shelter and territory. It is the term that most behaviorists use to describe "roaming in search of". It's just a word to describe the style of walking that a dog does when he or she is on a mission.

Numerous times, i've made people change their walking styles because their dogs can not handle having a territory. The dogs have severe anxiety.

Edited to add:

We, humans, tend to be guilty of applying human psychology to our canine companions. We assume our dogs enjoy leisurely walks where they get to stop every 3 feet and urinate. We often think "wow, how can one dog pee so much?". That is because your dogs stops and lifts it's leg or squats and lets a little urine out at a time but always seems to have some in reserve. The truth is, they are marking "their territory" and this gives them anxiety! Think about it, everyday you do this leisurely walk where your dog marks every spot that he or she can. The next day, you go on another leisurely walk and your dog starts sniffing the same spots and realizes that some other dog has come along and marked over the area that they claimed the day before. This happens every day, 7 days a week for a month to a year. Wouldn't you feel anxious over "who's been invading my territory?" That would be like someone entering your house every day and you couldn't stop them from sitting on your couch and watching. You have NO control over the situation. All you can do is repeatedly ask for that person to leave your house but, yet, they never do. Dogs do not see the world as us, they see it in terms of what is theirs and what is not.

Of course this is is also assuming we know what they are feeling when they mark, don't ya think?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I just wanted to say, I would be so much more fulfilled if that's how my days went, too. Seriously, it sounds a lot like paradise to me. :D

Sigh. That's why I'm going to a cabin for a couple of nights this Sunday. I don't even have it booked yet, it's all very last minute. I just decided I needed a break and there is nothing I love more than getting out into the middle of nowhere with my dogs.

I was also reading Pat Miller's book on playing with your dog on that trip, so I was reminded of how much I had slacked off. A friend recently bought me McConnell's version for my bday so it will be going on this trip. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest shelbygirl07

the times we go anywhere offleash are off times when no one is around. Mostly the woods. State parks on off season for safety reasons. Never in the city without a leash. Those pics of her are when I step back from her and tell her to stay so I can get the pic. I go back to her, release her from stay and continue walking. She never leaves my right side. If I think there is a potential reason to grab her leash, I do because it is right there alng with the handle on her back pack.

Guest SoulsMom

You've said in other threads and in this one that she has bolted in the past and has been skittish at times. Those fears never completely disappear, they are hard wired into the brain through genetics. Yes, they can be appeased, but genetic emotions can rear their ugly head when you least expect it. Who knows what might trigger it, it could be anything. If Shelby is staying right by your side anyway, why not just keep her on the leash?

Again, for the safety of Shelby and others please keep her on a leash. Remeber the bicycle accident?

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

I have to agree with the statement that most people don't walk their dogs. An awful lot do, but a heck of a lot more don't. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least 6 dogs on my block alone that don't leave their backyards. Ever. My sister does not walk her two German Shorthaired Pointers, and then wonders why she has issues with them. She thinks that them running around in a two acre yard is all the exercise they need. Very much not true with those two dogs. And a huge majority of the people that go to our local dog park don't walk their dogs. Now they will take them to the park to run, but they get driven. No walks, they think their dogs get enough exercise just running around with other dogs. These are usually the same dogs that run around like maniacs when it's time to go, not allowing themselves to be caught until they are ready.

I think that the idea here is that walks serve as more than just exercise, which I believe.

Guest shelbygirl07
You've said in other threads and in this one that she has bolted in the past and has been skittish at times. Those fears never completely disappear, they are hard wired into the brain through genetics. Yes, they can be appeased, but genetic emotions can rear their ugly head when you least expect it. Who knows what might trigger it, it could be anything. If Shelby is staying right by your side anyway, why not just keep her on the leash?

Again, for the safety of Shelby and others please keep her on a leash. Remeber the bicycle accident?

Shelby wasnt even there fir the The bicycle incident. My mom and I were riding our bikes and a lady had her dog on a flexi leash and wasnt paying attention to what was going on around her. Her dog bolted infront of is and ran into my bike even though we had bells chiming and calling out verbally to warn we were coming up behind the lady. I refuse to use a flexi leash with any of my dogs.

she bolted 2 weeks after we got her because my husband left the front door open. We had changed her kennel name to her now name the week before so she had no idea what her name was. She used to be skittish but not anymore. She hasn't shown signs of anxiety in over a year. She is not the same dog she was when we got her, she is a fantastic girl now. Do I know the right time and place for offleash work? Yes I truly believe I do. Do I trust that nothing will happen? No I don't that is why I am always looking over my shoulder. If I even think I might suspect anything, I take her leash. My mom calls me paranoid because I constantly do it, even in the woods. I would never taker her completely off leash and trust herod myself 100% so I am careful. But I do think she has earned some trust to get the chance to experience some time without being tethered as long as I feel safe enough to do it.

Edited by shelbygirl07

Guest Winterwish

Since I stated that I have structured walks at times with my pup, I want to clarify that for me it has nothing to do about controlling Cody - it's team work. It's the same reason I went with him through agility to make our bond better. What I learned is to really read my pups body language. Our "structured" walks are loose lead, and as far as talking during this you bet. I talk to Cody all the time during any walk and even rides in the car... 

This wasn't directed at any one in particular and I hadn't seen your post at all Che_mar_Cody.

The question is an important one to ask in many situations,some of them posted in either the poll or in responses here.

Just a quick mention-I don't really understand the response to talking to your dog if that's to me. Not sure where that came from and maybe isn't even meant with any particular referance at all and no biggie. But in case- gees,how on earth could anyone disagree with talking to dogs?! They're the best! :) 

Edited by Winterwish