Beau Starts Another Treatment

RobinM

Beau's labs on Friday were "beautiful" as per my vets call this morning which means he will be starting in addition to the prednosone, Immuran.

That takes a bit longer to kick in but GOD willing, we will start seeing some definite improvement in the very near future.

He is not pooping much but eating about 3 pounds of fish a day. That could mean he is starting to absorb. :hope

Vet also thinks he's got a gluten allergy so we can't add anything else in for a while.

His poops are very scarce but still runny.

Stay tuned...

have I mentioned how much I hate this?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Robin, this sounds like guarded good news. And gluten allergies are awful - someone I used to work with had this allergy and was incredibly sick, anemic from internal bleeding... it took a long time for someone to figure out what the problem was. She now eats very carefully, and is the picture of health.

Well, if he has a gluten allergy, it would explain a lot. That stuff sneaks in everywhere! Look at the pet food disaster from a couple of years ago, that was from contamonated gluten. I know it is frustrating, taking so long, but it sounds like he is headed in the right direction!

Problems with gluten are frequently confused with problems with starch, as the two are intertwined. People cut out the wheat, and feel markedly better- and claim it was the gluten that was doing them in. What if it's the starch component?

Bear this in mind if other starchy foods give the same problem: corn, rice, etc. For some reason, wheat starch seems particularly noxious. Corn a bit less so, and rice markedly less- some types of rice to the point where they are safe. I haven't been able to pin down a precise biochemical reason to explain the differences in rices, although I suspect it has something to do with the ratio between amylase and amylopectin.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Sending prayers that the road to recovery is swift. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thanks for the update on handsome Beau. I hope he is really absorbing the Tilapia and moving towards getting better.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Robin, we just got back from the internist. Spencer dropped 8 lbs this week, 3 more since just yesterday! (This was a different scale, though.) She chalked up the weight loss to the prednisone! She said pred does that anyway, and we were apparently giving way too high a dose (40mg/day).

I know you've been wondering why Beau hasn't been gaining weight, despite tons of tilapia. That might help explain it.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Robin, we just got back from the internist. Spencer dropped 8 lbs this week, 3 more since just yesterday! (This was a different scale, though.) She chalked up the weight loss to the prednisone! She said pred does that anyway, and we were apparently giving way too high a dose (40mg/day).

I know you've been wondering why Beau hasn't been gaining weight, despite tons of tilapia. That might help explain it.

No, that is not why.

The reason he is not gaining is that he has severe IBD. Beau's IBD is in his intestines. That means his intestines are extremely inflammed and he is not absorbing. The pred (40 mg)very LOW DOSE is not the reason. Beau is on 40 mg and it's not even the therapudic dose but my vet likes to start low with the pred for greyhounds.

The pred does waste the muscle and increases appetite, thirst and urination, but it also starts to slowly reduce the inflammation so that he does start to absorb.

I am so sorry that Spencer lost the weight. What is your next step?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

No, that is not why.

The reason he is not gaining is that he has severe IBD. Beau's IBD is in his intestines. That means his intestines are extremely inflammed and he is not absorbing. The pred (40 mg)very LOW DOSE is not the reason. Beau is on 40 mg and it's not even the therapudic dose but my vet likes to start low with the pred for greyhounds.

The pred does waste the muscle and increases appetite, thirst and urination, but it also starts to slowly reduce the inflammation so that he does start to absorb.

I didn't mean to imply that you were doing anything wrong. Our situations are just so different, and our vets see things so differently, that we are of no help to you. You have our best wishes, though. (Our next step is nuking worms with Drontal-Plus.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

No, that is not why.

I didn't mean to imply that you were doing anything wrong. Our situations are just so different, and our vets see things so differently, that we are of no help to you. You have our best wishes, though. (Our next step is nuking worms with Drontal-Plus.)

I didn't take or mean any offense taken. Honestly.

The pred both our dogs are on are very low for treatment. But there are some dogs that just don't handle it well at all, which is why my vet started him so low.

We did the drontal plus. I hope that brings relief to him and I am very happy to hear they don;t think it's IBD. I wouldn't wish this one on ANYONE or ANYDOG. It is a nightmare.

Continued prayers for both our boys.