I'm New!

Hello All,

I adopted 4 year old "Eggplant Tree" in early December. His orange and black brindling reminded me of a tiger, and after much thought, I decided to rename him Hobbes (if any of you read Calvin and Hobbes, you will know that Hobbes is an imaginary/stuffed tiger and Hobbes has the more positive view of humanity than Calvin does).

I remember the first time I ever met a greyhound. A woman sitting at a coffee shop had one at her feet at an outdoor table and I stopped to pet and chat. She told me they were not the dogs people thought they were (I was surprised at the time to find out they don't have a crazy energy about them).

And well, our tastes make the world go around. I could love any animal, but realized I likes the ones with the long snouts and long legs. I have been wanting a dog FOREVER! But never had the time until recently. I had spent many hours on Petfinder and also had been to the SPCA. Recently, I was very excited as Massachusetts had finally banned greyhound racing, and that led me to Greyhound Friends near my home. And that is how I met Hobbes.

I originally had a lot of questions, but have read a lot (before I adopted him and after). I am astounded at how many other greyhounds do the things Hobbes does, and that is relieving, so thank you! I thought they were only particular to him (ie what I call his "poop dance" where he goes back and forth FOREVER before pooping, or I was reading about others who wondered if their greys sit, as Hobbes has not done that, to the belly band, which I have on the way in the mail as he pees whenever I am not around).

At this point there are things I worry about: I worry he is BORED. He absolutely lives for walks, but how many walks can we take in subzero temperature? ("many," Hobbes would type if he could :)), and I am hoping that he is at the point where he realizes that we always come home when we leave him. I also wonder why he does the body shake whenever he wears his snood, why he whines and catches up to other dogs who are on walks, and then after a minute is bored with them and wants them away. Why his teeth chatter when I tell him we are going BYE BYE (his first word), and why, after all the garbage cans and bins we pass on our walks, why he seemed so FRIGHTENED at that one black plastic bag and another day a big snow clump.

It's hard because I would give anything to know what his life was like before he came here, then I could better serve him and make his life easier. It can be frustrating. But I guess i have to remember that I've had him barely over a month, and from what I've read here, I have to be patient.

Anyway, nice to meet you guys and I look forward to learning about Hobbes and your loves as well :)

Liz and Hobbes

(hmm, how in the heck do I post a pic of Hobbes?)

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Is this your handsome boy??? (I peeked on Greyhound-Data, hope you don't mind)

Have fun getting to know each other. And the chattering? It means he's happy! :)

Greyhound_Eggplant_Tree-big.jpg

Greetings from Gainesville, Florida! :welcome Hobbes is very handsome!!

Posting pics is easy. Open a free account in photobucket if you don't have one.

Load your pics into photobucket.

Below each pic you put into photobucket there are four fields. The bottoms one is called "IMG code".

Copy and paste the IMG code into the text of your post in greytalk, and voila! There's your pic.

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest shanesmom

Hello and welcome from Ohio. Hobbes is very handsome :wub: I just love the teeth chatterers. I find it quite endearing when they show their happiness like that.

Welcome from Alberta Canada! :wave:wave

Love the picture - Hobbes is a handsome boy!

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Welcome to you and Hobbes! :confetti I love that name, and I am so glad you figured out how to post pictures of his handsome face!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Welcome to you and Hobbes from Maine. :welcome

As you can see from my signature, we had a Hobbes as well. I love the name and he too was named after the tiger in Calvin and Hobbes. (our Hobbes was a teeth chatterer as well - he always did this when is was excited & happy.) Your Hobbes is just beautiful and I look forward to more photos and hearing about his adventures.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hi & Welcome form Michigan ! :welcome

Yes - Hobbes is a typical Greyhound .... he has already developed ETS - (escaped tongue syndrome) .... just another of the enduring traits that we love in our hounds. They take relaxation so seriously, even their tongues relax to the point they fall right out of their mouths.

I LOVE teeth chatters - my DOC does it and it means that they are HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY.

Yes - Greyhounds are unique and that is why their owners are so passionate about them.

We are glad you're here and feel free to ask any questions, or ask for help - I'm sure there is someone on this board that has run into the same things with their hounds. There is a wonderful group of people here.

Hobbes is beautiful, too !!!! :wub:

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest greymama002

:welcome Your Hobbes looks like on of those adorable goofy brindle boys!!!! He sounds a lot like our Ruffie who taught our other grey Pulsar about chattering when excited! He does the Poop Dance- often having many false starts before finding the right spot! He also whines every time we pass another dog without stopping. He thinks it's his job to meet and greet everyone! And strange things on walks terrify him like once we passed a sppeed limit sign that had been bent halfway over, and he just fled to the end of his leash in terror! Greys are very entertaining, but don't worry about him being bored, sleep & rest in comfy places are what they enjoy most of the time.

I am eager to hear more of sweet Hobbes adventures!

Guest ctgreylover

Welcome from Hartford CT! Greyhounds are very unique. They are intelligent and goofy at the same time. Greytalk users as well. We are here to laugh with you, or at you depending, explain things to you, cry with you. Hobbes was an excellent friend to Calvin. You picked a greyt legacy name!

Guest terri643

Welcome, Liz and Hobbes! We're practically neighbors -- we're in Lincoln.

Hey, do you know about Greyhound Adventures, a Boston area greyhound network/walking group? We walk on Sunday mornings. See http://www.greyhoundadventures.org for more info. We'd love to meet you, and I'm sure Hobbes would love walking/stiffing some other greyhounds.

Terri, Jasper and Lily

Welcome to you and the beautiful Hobbes!

My old Jack is a chatterer too, despite only having about four back teeth to do it with!

You might never know Hobbes' story, but to get a little insight into what his life in racing kennels was like, go to this link. You have to read a bit before you get to the part about a racing greyhound's life, but it's all interesting, and it will also give you some useful strategies for training, should you need them. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Ok I am testing what you said about Photobucket...

IMG_4021.jpg

It worked! What a silly boy! I have a soft spot in my heart for big, goofy brindle boys! :heart

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France