Swelling...worse Before It Gets Better?

Well, I am camped out on the couch next to Lucius' couch. He has swelled up even more...all the way down to his paw. He did this after the vet closed. For those who do not know...Lucius hurt his right front leg a few days ago. X-rays show no fractures, no cancer, nothing bad but soft tissue swelling. A day's dose of rymadil brought his swelling down, along with ice, but not all the way down. But the vet wanted him on tramadil instead. Since he has been on it he has re-swollen (even with icing) and is crying almost constantly. I have not slept in days...my heart is breaking for him! I'm in here now in case he needs me.

Is t normal for swelling to get worse then better? He has stood up 3 times today...twice to potty and once to stretch. So...he is not excercising on it. Can I bring down swelling another way?? Please help. :cry1

oh yikes!!!! I wish I knew what to say. Maybe a call to an E-vet to ask if there's anything you can do to reduce swelling until your vet is open? I'll keep poor Lucius in my thoughts and prayers...keep us posted.

Hang in there Shannon

Evet said to give him rymadil on top of the tramadol from 5 hours ago and ice again...

...our regular vet said I could use both meds together but watch his stomach. So...we try that now I suppose.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Kinda surprised that your vet said not to give the rimadyl--rimadyl is an anti-imflamatory--great to help to reduce swelling.

Do give it with food 'cause it can upset tummy's. If he still has pain ask your Vet about giving Gabapentin along with the Rimadyl and the Tramadol--you can use all 3 together. Sounds like he needs to be re-evaluted in the a.m. Keep us posted!

(I hear ya about being up with your sick pupper--I'm up with one of mine too :( )

Edited by tbhounds

Shannon, I know how hard it is to see your boy uncomfortable. When we have had leg injuries to treat our vet has put them on Metacam for the pain which is also an anti-inflammatory. If it is a soft tissue injury it will take a while for the swelling to go down and will be tender. It sounds like he is self-limiting his movement which is good for the healing. The Metacam was given at a higher dose on the first day, then reduced to once a day for 5 days. By that time things usually turned around.

Hugs to Lucius - I hope he feels better soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Poor Lucius! Sounds like he and his meds need to be re-evaluated - today! I agree that one day of any anti-inflammatory will not take care of the swelling. Prayers and healing thoughts to precious Lucius and hugs to you. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I was hoping he would feel much better by now.

It's already been said, he needs the Rimadyl to keep that swelling down.

I'm a little surprised about the instructions to continue with the ice. Ice will help swelling but usually only if applied at the time of injury. It's the same for people. We will apply ice but then switch to epsom salt soaks. But obviously I'm no vet.

Feel better handsome!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I forgot, my female grey takes metacam (actually meloxicam: the human generic version) That is what the vet gave my Ig when he hurt himself. Works for pain and inflammation, and I believe less side effects (?).

My female (75 lbs) takes 1/2 of a 7.5 mg tablet. Doubled for the first dose. I get it at walmart pharmacy for $4.00 for 30 pills, so it lasts 60 days.

hope he is doing better!

About a year ago, one of my greys front paws starting swelling and there was no reason that I could think of - his paw was about double the size. I was pretty frightened about it because it was getting worse. As I recollect, the vet wrapped the paw -- I believe it was so the fluid would not accumulate more and maybe help to assimilate it into the body. It was checked in a few days and it was less but, still pretty swollen. After about another 3 days, it was back to normal size. We never did find out what caused it.

One thing I would like to point out is that I expected that the vet would prescribe some metacam and advise to soak the paw, but the vet took another direction which worked out well in my case. Please note though that my greyhound did not appear to be in any pain.

In your case, maybe the fluid build up is just not getting assimilated as quickly as it should and it does not necessarily mean that it's getting worse.

About a year ago, one of my greys front paws starting swelling and there was no reason that I could think of - his paw was about double the size. I was pretty frightened about it because it was getting worse. As I recollect, the vet wrapped the paw -- I believe it was so the fluid would not accumulate more and maybe help to assimilate it into the body. It was checked in a few days and it was less but, still pretty swollen. After about another 3 days, it was back to normal size. We never did find out what caused it.

One thing I would like to point out is that I expected that the vet would prescribe some metacam and advise to soak the paw, but the vet took another direction which worked out well in my case. Please note though that my greyhound did not appear to be in any pain.

In your case, maybe the fluid build up is just not getting assimilated as quickly as it should and it does not necessarily mean that it's getting worse.

That is a comforting thought. Thank you. This morning he is not crying...he is resting comfy. I hope the swelling goes down!