Update: Sheila My Bloat Survivor

seeh2o

My girl is doing so much better!!! She's back to her normal self, happy, wandering around the house playing bumper car with her nose. I'm glad that I have a timed feeder, so she's getting small portions throughout the day. Her waist is even back.

We didn't make it to the vets last night, so we have a follow-up appointment next Tuesday. I was on the road driving home from LV to LA last night when I got a call from Ed, he was feeding his dogs (3 senior Boston Terriers...Carl's "pack"). He went upstairs to get the oldest of them, who has a "weak heart" according to the vet, Ed found him dead at the top of the stair. He had apparently just died. Terry was a great old boy. Ed adopted him 14 months ago, Terry had been dumped at one of the LA County shelters (aka death traps) and left to die. He was listed as 15 years old, was missing one eye and the other eye that was covered over with a cataract. Boston Buddies pulled him from the pound, Ed saw his listing and it broke his heart. They let him adopt Terry across state lines, which they don't usually do, but Ed has lots and lots of experience with Bostons, he grew up with them as a kid and had 2 at the time. He gave Terry a great and loving home for the last 14 months. Terry clearly thrived there, he was quite a prancer and always strutted when he walked. He was a happy happy boy. We think Terry was well cared for throughout his life, we suspect he belonged to an elderly owner who passed away and the family didn't know what to do with him so they dumped him at the shelter. Terry died knowing he was deeply loved and cared for.

I turned the car around and drove back to LV, Ed and I took Terry to the emergency clinic where I'd spent my weekend with Sheila. Ironically, they put us in the same room where I thought I'd have to make the decision to put Sheila to sleep. Neither of us ever imagined we'd be there with Terry last night.

We're home now, Sheila and Carl are pooped and are sleeping, I'm off to work.

RIP, sweet Terry boy.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Sooo pleased that Sheila is on her way to recovery :)

I've sorry to hear about Terry :sad1:grouphug What a relief that he spent the last 14 months in a loving home where he was loved and cared for. That makes all the difference.

:grouphug :grouphug

Rest in peace, sweetie.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I was glad to read about Sheila. How sad about Terry, but I echo the others in saying I'm glad he had a good and loving home for the last 14 months. Godspeed Terry.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

I am so happy to hear that Sheila is doing well, and even has her waist back! And I am sorry about Terry...poor sweetie. At least he knew love for the last 14 months. Bittersweet end to the weekend for sure.

I am sure he's doing his little Boston wobble walk all the way to the Bridge...be free happy little man.

Guest Pandorazzzbox

:f_white so so sorry about your boston, he lived a happy end to his life.

On a different note, I am happy to hear about Sheila...I hope she continues to do well.

Guest SoulsMom

I'm so sorry to hear about Terry :sad1 This happened to my friends schnauzer. He had a bad heart, and just before Thanksgiving he passed away quietly in the middle of the night.

Good news that Sheila is better. How bittersweet :grouphug

Thank God for people willing to adopt the seniors. Terry was a very blessed dog to have someone love and care for him during his last months. I hope your friend can gain some comfort in knowing he filled Terry's life with peace and love during his senior years.

I'm really happy to hear that Shiela is doing well.

Guest FordRacingRon

I never go into this forum as I find it somewhat over whelming so I just saw your story about Sheila. i am so very happy for you everything came out okay (and I didn't mean that to sound like a pun).

I'm very sorry about your friends dog, but bonus karma points for your friend and his loving and taking care of Terry.

Definitely glad Sheila is okay but I am sorry to hear about Terry. BT's are very sweet and they are great dogs. It sounds like he had a great home in the end and was very happy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so glad that Sheila is back home with you and Carl. I'm glad that Terry was loved so much and cared for during the last months of his life.

Did you get any rest?

Thanks, Charla. Sheila is back to her normal stubborn self, I'm happy to have such a strong willful girl!

I had a great night sleep last night, I don't work tomorrow, so I'm turning off the alarm clock and the phones, taking a benadryl and going to sleep!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

We just got back from the follow-up appointment with our vet. She gave Sheila a clean bill of health. She's "lost" 7lbs since she was in the hospital! Her bloodwork is better than it has been in years. She said that I need to keep a close eye on her for 6 weeks - 2 months as she is at risk for bloating with torsion until her stomach goes back to it's normal size. She said that right now it's stretched out and floppy, so no running around. Well, since Sheila is 13, blind and has arthritis in her back she doesn't do a lot of running around. Slow wandering and playing is mostly standing in place squeaking a toy incessantly. Regardless, I'll be watching her like a hawk...1 week down, 7 to go!