Willie Chemo #1

Guest greydogluvr

Guest greydogluvr

Willie is going in today for his first chemo treatment and the removal of his stitches. He is participating in the OSU study so we will be following Dr. Couto's protocol. I am unsure of the type of Chemo he will have today but I have taken the day off the entire day because I am so nervous. He has been doing such a great job adjusting to all the change. He has a great attitude and appears to feel better than he has in the months prior to the amputation. My housekeeper was so excited that he met her at the door, something he has never done in the past. I am wondering how long he had been feeling a little off before he showed signs of discomfort. Prior to this he was beginning to come out of his shell, but now he is much more attentive to us and to our other hound. He stiil has not mastered his spinning play but instead shakes his head and then his back end all while his extra long tail is wagging away. I just love this boy and his courage is amazing.

So, with that said my stomach is in knots. I really hope he tolerates this chemo well. I made the decision to go through with the chemo which is against the philosophy of my regular vet. He takes a more natural, holistic approach and views chemo as too invasive. But I have to follow my heart becuse I believe I am doing the best for my boy.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending hugs and scritches to you and handsome Willie - I remember that nervous feeling all too well. Some pups won't eat much after the chemo, others like our Angel Vinnie are ravenous so a stop at the magic takeout/drivethru window works wonders. And lots of sleep afterwards. We always brought icecubes for him as well as he would chew on the ice as a treat more than he would drink water. Dr. Cuoto and his study are godsends and I am glad you are following your heart. Let us know how things go, we are here for you.

Gorgeous Willie---you will be in our thoughts and prayers today.

I'm so glad to hear that his amp recovery is going well. The bottom line is that the surgery removes that intense pain of the osteo tumor, and eliminates the possibility of that bone fracturing. After that, their adjustment is so individual---but Willie is doing great! And I'm betting that will continue.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greytmonty

I am hoping Willie's first chemo goes well. Ask about PRN options if there are side effects such as nausea or diarrhea.

We now give Monty a combination of flagyl, reglan, and zofran preventively for his post chemo days. I also tempt him by mixing chicken and rice into his kibble if his appetite is off.

Best wishes.

Well if you saw any of the threads on Polli she ate whatever she would eat. Some days that meant only cookies and granola bars. For real.

Make sure you get cerinia for his nausea.. Remember if he is not somewhat sick from it, it's not working. When my vet said that to me, it made a lot of sense which made it more tolerable for me if that makes any sense.

Polli got the cerinia shot the day of her chemo, then the next 4 days she got the pill as it is only to be used for 5 days.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I haven't seen anyone mention it but, when one of my greyhounds had the chemo he urinated quite frequently because they give them fluids. In my greyhound's case, he also had a condition where he could not empty his bladder very well. The result was that with the chemo and this condition it turned out that from the time I got home with him, he would be outside every 30 minutes, sometimes less, for the next 20 hours (or so). I did not get any sleep and neither did my poor boy but, both he and I got used to it and were prepared for the next rounds of treatments.

I did not have my grey on any nausea medicine and he would not eat much for a few days after the chemo but, I could usually get some of his favorite into him one of which was cheerios and yogurt.

You just learn to live the moment .... good luck

Guest EmbersDad

there is a very special angel watching over all sick puppers. willie will sail thru. ditto with the cerenia. hamburgers and ensure worked for us.

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

God I was nervous before Darcy's first chemo! It was a horrible feeling. But we stayed whilst they did it and I just visualised the drugs seeing off any of those yacky cells and then I felt much better about it. I was never as anxious when she had her other doses.

Good luck Willy (and Mummy) :grouphug

Darcy also got a shot of cerenia before all treatments but never had any side effects other than after her final treatment.

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I hope everything went well for Willie today!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greydogluvr

We are home and things are going well. We actually went in early so he was done by 12:00. After that we went to get his stitches out. Everyone at the surgery center were so glad to see him and pleased with his progress. Many people came out to see him and other people waiting to be seen were amazed to see a three legged hound and commented on how great he looked. :P

On our way home we stopped at McDonalds for a cheeseburger in honor of Ember. He scarfed that down in no time. They gave him Reglan, which seems to be doing the trick for now. I assume the chemo takes a bit to get into his system but for now I am so glad he is doing well. He ate his typical menu at 6:30 and begged for bones afterward.

Knowing I am not alone in this has made such a difference. Thanks everyone for helping to keep me strong for my boy. One down 4 to go. :yay

ETA He is down 5 lbs from his initial diagnosis date. The guy at the front desk was concerned and wanted me to re-weigh him until I said, "he lost a leg." His white blood cell count was 6.9 and his EKG was fine.

Edited by greydogluvr

Glad everything went well today. Let us know how he does the next few days. Cerenia worked wonders for Bonnie and other hounds too. Give Willie a hug from us. :goodluck

Guest EmbersDad

how is he feeling today? the first couple days with ember were the hardest. she was lethargic and would only eat mickey d's or ensure. her side effects were really mild and did seem to lessen each time. keep up the fight willy!

How's Willie this AM? Sending prayers and hugs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greydogluvr

Willie is doing well this AM. He was up several times last night for water and to potty. He is yawning a lot and licking his lips which I take as signs that he is not feeling his best. He continues to eat well, even wanting more food that normal. :yay Thanks for the continued prayers.

He did have Adriamycin so tomorrow will be the dreaded day three.

Willie is doing well this AM. He was up several times last night for water and to potty. He is yawning a lot and licking his lips which I take as signs that he is not feeling his best. He continues to eat well, even wanting more food that normal. :yay Thanks for the continued prayers.

He did have Adriamycin so tomorrow will be the dreaded day three.

That's great that he's eating so well Lora. Sometimes, the licking is a sign of an upset stomach. Willie is a strong boy. He's tucked very tightly in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless