Ember Coughing

Guest EmbersDad

Guest wmlcml6

We just took FTH Jive Talker in for an x-ray and consult because he kept ... what's a good descriptive word? It was like retching, but nothing ever came out. The vet said either allergens or slight bronchitis. He hasn't done it since we left the vet.

Fingers crossed for Ember that it's something similar.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmbersDad
I understand the fear. I mentioned Darcy coughing to the vet once, months ago. She didn't do it very often but each time she did it, my heart fell into my boots. Turned out she just had a hair in her throat or something. My vet also told me at that time that we would probably notice that she was more 'panty' or breathless if there was anything 'to be concerned about' before we noticed a cough - and that the cough tends to be from deep within. I hope that eases your mind a tiny bit :grouphug

yeah, nothing like that here. she still goes for our walks and plays with toys. the vet said something about lung xrays after she was done with chemo. im sure he will have a good listen tomorrow. her last cbc showed the wbc at 5.9. still within greyhound norms, but it was never that high. her highest after chemo was a 3.9. im just hoping she caught my cold.

Guest ArtysPeople
Has she been smoking the wacky tabacky again? :unkn

negative, but im feeling the urge to start..... :yikes

Good lordy, no. I think a touch of paranoia is about the LAST thing you need right now. :lol

Here's hoping it's just a touch of bronchitis or something like that. :goodluck

Arty coughs occasionally; it's just something he does, like he's clearing his throat. I've noticed he does it after a particularly in-depth pee mail reading, for example. Unfortunately, he did it at a student walking down the street the other day and completely freaked her out. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked at us like my 65 lb. dog who was wagging his tail at her like crazy was about to attack her. I guess it is an odd sound if you aren't used to it. :lol

(did I make you laugh? I'm trying. I can't imagine how nerve wracking all this must be. :grouphug)

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I understand the fear. I mentioned Darcy coughing to the vet once, months ago. She didn't do it very often but each time she did it, my heart fell into my boots. Turned out she just had a hair in her throat or something. My vet also told me at that time that we would probably notice that she was more 'panty' or breathless if there was anything 'to be concerned about' before we noticed a cough - and that the cough tends to be from deep within. I hope that eases your mind a tiny bit :grouphug

yeah, nothing like that here. she still goes for our walks and plays with toys. the vet said something about lung xrays after she was done with chemo. im sure he will have a good listen tomorrow. her last cbc showed the wbc at 5.9. still within greyhound norms, but it was never that high. her highest after chemo was a 3.9. im just hoping she caught my cold.

You may want to have the xrays before the chemo. If something is found on the xrays, they will usually stop administering chemo. I'm hoping it's something minor however. :)

I saw your post and my heart dropped. I hope it's nothing serious and that Ember comes through with flying colours!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest jettcricket

:lol ...yeah that sounds good about right now. Your girl will be fine....

Guest EmbersDad

we just came back from our big walk. 35 minutes. she immediately settled onto a pillow and coughed maybe twice. she didnt seem to have any problems during the walk, i heard no coughing.

Sorry to hear this, Tom. I hope it's nothing serious. Please update us after you've spoken to the vet!

Sending lots of good thoughts for Ember. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

we just came back from our big walk. 35 minutes. she immediately settled onto a pillow and coughed maybe twice. she didnt seem to have any problems during the walk, i heard no coughing.

That sounds good. Tom, by chance have you tightened her collar or added that tag bag yet?

The reason I am asking is because dogs have a reflex in the neck that if pushed on will make them cough.

Vets use it to hear make a dog cough to hear lung sounds. My old girl would do it to herself rubbing her neck on my wing chair.

It was just a thought I had, here is hoping it is something as simple as that.

Edited by GreyKarma

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest SoulsMom

Good lordy, no. I think a touch of paranoia is about the LAST thing you need right now. :lol

Arty coughs occasionally; it's just something he does, like he's clearing his throat. I've noticed he does it after a particularly in-depth pee mail reading, for example. Unfortunately, he did it at a student walking down the street the other day and completely freaked her out. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked at us like my 65 lb. dog who was wagging his tail at her like crazy was about to attack her. I guess it is an odd sound if you aren't used to it. :lol

(did I make you laugh? I'm trying. I can't imagine how nerve wracking all this must be. :grouphug)

:lol Soul did that to me last night when we got in bed. He was laying with his face on my neck an then proceeded to hack in my face

Is it usually after she is outside? Think maybe it could just be the cold weather Tom?

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest EmbersDad

:lol Soul did that to me last night when we got in bed. He was laying with his face on my neck an then proceeded to hack in my face

Is it usually after she is outside? Think maybe it could just be the cold weather Tom?

no, not from that. our walk didnt affect her. it just seems to happen when she is excited. even tho i am a pessimist, i want to believe its a cold. i was congested for a week after christmas, then spent a few days with a nasty hack. it only went away a few days ago.

I know what you mean, with this thing going on with Beau, I thought about numbng myself. I would never do it, but it scared me that I thought about it.

it's all very very stressful. Much hugs to you Tom.

She will be OK.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project