Joey B Got Spayed...

Guest tobinhr

Guest tobinhr

Miss Joey B got all her girl bits removed yesterday. She came home, slept in her crate and then got up later and came out in the living room. There she promptly threw up on her bed. (I am still trying to figure out who fed her food too soon...)

Of course, she is lethargic and moving a bit slow. She is drinking water and peeing. But she didn't want breakfast this morning...

Anything I can do to help her?

Jan, the worry wart

Joey, the sterile

If she didn't come home with some pain meds, call your vet and get some for her.

Chances are, she just ate too soon and will feel better by this evening. But if she continues throwing up, call vet. (If she continues throwing up and seems really ill, don't call, go to evet.)

Hugs to Joey B and worried momma.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

None of my animals, my own or fosters, have ever had much of an appitite after going under ansthesia. They even turn their noses up at tripe :huh:lol: . Like Batmom said, if she doesn't have any pain meds, get some, but as long as she's drinking, peeing and moving around a little, I wouldn't worry about the lack of appitite for a day or so. Poor little bug.

Guest hvacman250

I wouldnt feed for 24 hrs. Then 1/2 amount next day with some wet food included, or anythign to entice them.

Girls seem to take about 2 weeks to fully recover, with the first 2-3 days doing next to nothing and moping around. The 2 boys I picked up from being neutered last Monday were running around that night.

Guest ArtysPeople

A soft bed, a blanket or jim-jam jacket, and lots of R&R is about all you can do for her. It wouldn't be unusual for her to be a little tentative or delicate in her movements for a few days, so just let her take her time and make sure she doesn't get run over by the other hounds. I would also make sure to monitor how the other dogs interact with her until she's back to her normal self -- they notice when a member of the pack is feeling weak and even the normally nicest dogs can start to pick on them. Turnout time alone isn't a bad idea for a few days. :kiss2

Does she have pain meds? Sending hugs for the pretty girl...each day will get better. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Jan, it's not terribly uncommon for the girls to have a little bit of a puky spell. I'm guessing what she puked up was mostly yellow or white foamy stuff?

I'm a little late getting in on this, so hopefully she's feeling better by now. If she's still feeling crummy, you may want to call Nancy. I'm guessing they sent some pain meds for her?

The boys always seem to act like nothing has happened at all and then our poor little girls - some of them just have a harder time than others.

:grouphug for Miss Joey :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest RooCroo

I wouldn't worry unless she is feverish or vomiting frequently. Big agreement on needing the pain meds. I give mine Hilton Herbs' Milk Thistle Plus to help the body clear the anesthetic, but by the time you got it ordered, she'd probably already be fine. :) Of course, TLC is the best medicine for a recovering spay-ee. :kiss2

I'd let her set her own time table for moving around. She'll probably be fairly lethargic for several days. No stairs, if you have them, and no jumping up on or down from high furniture or beds. Make sure she stays warm and comfy. I second the separate turnouts.

I think some vomiting is normal for coming out of anesthesia. If it was an isolated incident (especially if she was fed too early) then I wouldn't worry. Go directly to the evet if it continues. Small bland meals after 24 hours - rice and boiled chicken/hamburger - working back up to her regular food and schedule.

Kisses are also quite in order, and a bit of pampering, too. She'll be fine in no time!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Every time I have ever gone under I've been VERY sick to my stomach afterward.

Maybe boil her up some rice with chicken or hamburger? It will be easy on her stomach and she deserves a treat.

Agree she'll probably be much better by this evening.

A bit off topic, but if you ever have to go under again, tell your anesthesiologist this, and he/she can give you some anti-barfing drugs right up front! I used to hurl like a drunken sailor after surgery, but having learned to tell them this, have not had the problem the last five times I was put under!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Just leave her be for now. If you were given any pain meds make sure you give those to her. She'll feel better in a day or 2. Poor baby!

I'm a little late to pipe up.. but she'll be fine in a day or so. Usually, they skip a meal or two after being done, likely from the anaesthetic rather than pain.

I would caution on giving pain meds. Yes, they are in pain, however, if you give pain meds, she will be more inclined to pick at her sutures.

A few years ago, friends of mine had their cocka-tzu spayed. She was on heavy pain meds. Everyone went to bed and they left her in the kitchen. When they got up the next morning, she had removed her stitches and most of her small intestine. :puke More surgery to put her back together, heavy doses of antibiotics, and she did live to a ripe old age.

Honestly, a day of discomfort is worth it to prevent them from picking.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest trevdog

Just let her do what she wants to do an keep an eye on the incision. I would hold off on the pain meds too and let her eat when she's ready. It ay take a day or two for her to feel like eating.

Guest IrskasMom

Everything has already been said ...... but she needs most , here are some :grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2 for that sweet Girl and I think Mama needs

a :bighug to.

Edited by IrskasMom