Pearl Had A Stroke This Morning

What a sweet picture-- you can really see the love between you two.. Loving thoughts!

What a sweet picture-- you can really see the love between you two.. Loving thoughts!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the ministroke she had yesterday, she shows absolutely no signs of having heart disease or hypertension. None. She's perfectly happy. Which makes decisions more difficult. If she was sickly, putting her to sleep would be an option. But nothing about her says she's sick.

Currently she's on enalapril, digoxin, lasix, aspirin, phenoxybenzamine, amlodipene and just yesterday atenolol.

I'm just snuggling with her as much as I can and hope I can make some kind of decision on monday. If her BP hasn't come down I don't know what kind of options are out there. If it comes down a little I can opt for a CT scan. Thing is, if the CT is positive, I want the surgery done right away while she is still under anesthesia so that she doesn't have to go under twice in a short time. If she needs surgery it is called adrenalectomy and prognosis is poor. But I think I would rather have her leave me on the surgery table than sometime in the middle of the day while I'm at work. If she has a stroke while she's outside in 20 degree weather, or is partially paralyzed and panics inside........I can't have that happen to her.

I can't crate her, both she and her sister are claustrophobic. Even locking her in a room doesn't work. Diamond did $200 damage to the bedroom when the babysitter accidentally locked her in there.

Not to mention, she's on lasix, which means she needs to go outside frequently. She would try to hold it in and that in itself is not good. She'd would start to get upset needing to go outside and can't. Any change in schedule would up her BP, and we are trying very hard not to do that. They didn't do an ultrasound yesterday because her BP was so high. They were afraid she would stroke out.

You know if it was cancer, I could at least have options like pain management or surgery. But there just doesn't seem to be a lot of choices for out of control hypertension.

Guest VelvetEars

Isn't hypertension just another name for high blood pressure?

Jane's was well-controlled with hydralazine. You might ask your vet about trying it, perhaps?

Is there anywhere you can borrow the equipment and take her BP yourself at home? Or do you already do that?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There's one other thing to look at. Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker. It is inexpensive and (when provided in the correct form) will not cause D. Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) WILL cause D, so they are not to be fed.

Magnesium malate (or other chelated forms of magnesium) are suitable. I don't know about any interactions with the existing meds, but the stuff works. There is a large body of literature on the subject.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I am sorry I am just now reading this sending prayers for Pearl and you..... :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Sending prayers and hugs of comfort. :grouphug:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending positive thoughts for you and Pearl. I hope things improve and if you do the CT, really hoping there is nothing there.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending more prayers for Pearl. Kiss the pretty girl for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I do have the ability to take her BP, but.........I thought about it. What if atenolol isn't working? It's not down? I can't do anything about it until we go back tomorrow. Except cry and turn my insides out. So, even though I have it out, I haven't taken the BP.

If it does come down tomorrow and I need to monitor it I will. But I just can't make myself take it yet.

Oh.......and to add onto the pigpile, I go into the garage tonight to get their food and I hear a hissing. My *&(#$*^ front tire has a screw in it. I know how to change a tire, but at my age, these suckers are HEAVY. And there's not enough room in the garage to do it, I have to move the SUV into the driveway where it is COLD and DARK. It's a slow leak so I'll just fill it up tomorrow morning and drive to my local tire store. I've already called my boss and told him I have to use up the first of this years vacation. :(

I do have the ability to take her BP, but.........I thought about it. What if atenolol isn't working? It's not down? I can't do anything about it until we go back tomorrow. Except cry and turn my insides out. So, even though I have it out, I haven't taken the BP.

If it does come down tomorrow and I need to monitor it I will. But I just can't make myself take it yet.

Oh.......and to add onto the pigpile, I go into the garage tonight to get their food and I hear a hissing. My *&(#$*^ front tire has a screw in it. I know how to change a tire, but at my age, these suckers are HEAVY. And there's not enough room in the garage to do it, I have to move the SUV into the driveway where it is COLD and DARK. It's a slow leak so I'll just fill it up tomorrow morning and drive to my local tire store. I've already called my boss and told him I have to use up the first of this years vacation. :(

We're continuing our prayers for your girl. About the tire, if you can hear the hissing, it'll be flat by morning. No AAA? What about asking a neighbor to help. It's happened to me so I know how heavy they are! I hope you get some help

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

:grouphug

I just wondered if she would tend to run lower at home than at the vet's office.

Do you use a child's cuff, or do you have one of those nifty little ultrasound thingys?

I'm sorry about your tire. By way of consolation, I've driven around on more than one flat one, stopping to put air in, and never ruined the tire or the frame.

:grouphug

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We leave for the vets in 1/2 hr.

Went to the tire store to fix the flat. It's couldn't be fixed because of the location of the screw. So instead of a $50 fix, I have $400 worth of 2 new tires. sigh. This year sucks already.

I'm sorry about the tire. Why is it we can never have just one thing to worry about at a time!! Please let us know how your little girl is this am

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greytexplorer

grrrrr when it rains it pours, eh? :angryfire

That's what I keep telling my dd--- if it's not one thing, it's 500 other things :rolleyes:

I absolutely ADORE that picture of you and Pearl on the beach. It could win an award!

Your Pearl looks a lot like my Ester. I just love the cowdoggies!

I pray that you will get good news from the doctor today.

Big hugs,

~Pat

Here's an update on my Pearl-girl.

The new med Atenolol worked, her BP is down to 170. Granted the cardiologist prefers it under 160, but do you see me complaining right now?!

With that news, it was felt she was safe enough to get an ultrasound. She was just way too nervous to push it on Friday with 280 BP.

The news is neither good nor bad. Can't tell. The radiologist did not see a pheo. Now, if it was indeed a pheo causing the problem the past 3 yrs, it definitely should have shown up by now on ultrasound. That's the radiologists view. The cardiologist was out of town, I didn't get to speak to her. RIght now I'm thinking we don't need to do a CT, but the cardiologist may have a different opinion. As of Friday we were going to do one.

Now that is good news if it is not pheo. It means I don't have to make the decision for a high risk surgery for Pearl (adrenalectomy).

But.........here's the bad news. It looks like it's glomerulnephitis (kidney disease, caused by that darn abscessed tooth) that's causing the hypertension. So I'm almost sure I'm going to make an appointment with Dr. Ward (the internist from Red Bank Vet Hosp that discovered the GN). Maybe there's more treatment for that other than just low dose aspirin.

There's a lot of questions I still have, but at least we got over another hurdle and got her BP down at least for the moment.

Also, hydralazine is not a good drug for Pearl because it has an adverse effect on the heart and Pearl also has heart disease. So, it looks like until we get a handle on the WHY of the hypertension she'll be on atenolol.

Thanks for all the prayers, I will keep you all updated because this ain't over yet. Just at a breathing spot.

Edited by MP_the4pack

I think ruling out a tumor is darn good news. :yay And glad to hear her BP is way down. Great news!!!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."