Rescue Remedy Questions

We picked up some RR to give to Dude when he has his attacks of inward sneezing. Someone suggested that was what they did and it really works for him.

My question has to do with using it for Cash's anxiety attacks (for want of a better word for complete spook-out!). She is on alprazolam (generic Xanax) 3 times a day, but occasionally she has a "break out." So instead of giving her more alprazolam, I started giving her a couple drops of RR. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it really worked! It takes affect very fast (faster than the drugs), and seems to be more calming without being sedating.

But I can't find out how often she can use it or an appropriate dosage. Two drops (basically I fill the little provided dropper up to where the nozzle bends, if that makes sense), two drops seem to work most often, though I have wanted several times to give her another dose later in the day. I have no idea if that is safe for her, or if there is any interaction with her Rx. The info that came in the box is for people and not very enlightening even for that.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I could not find any printed dosage levels either.

I have used as much as 2 full tubes (not drops) with Oliver with no ill affects.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I have used it and the other BACH essences for years with wonderful results. You can basically administer it as often as you want. It will not interact with any other medications either. It is safe and has no negative side effects. I have always used 4 drops each time with my hounds because I read that was the correct dosage. Another thing is that you can actually dilute down the mother liquor which you purchase with spring water and a preservative like vinegar or ethanol and it is just as effective and saves money. There are a few wonderful books explaining all about the BACH essenses that you would probably find very helpful. Just make sure it pertains to the BACH essences and not any of the oodles of copycat ones that don't work so good! Another good thing to remember is that in an emergency it is usually very helpful to give Rescue Remedy FIRST- before any other treatment. It affects their "energy" to respond to the crisis and could be vital. Several holistic vets use it for this and other reasons. It will not in any way interfere with any other required treatment. This has been my experience. Hope it helps. BACH flower essences are a wonderful healing tool for many diseases. :)

I've used many of the Bach remedies and you can't "overdose" however all you'll do is waste it. There's a book out on the Bach remedies for animals. I have it but no longer need it so if you'de like, pm me your address and I'll send it to you.

A lot of people who use the remedies will just put the drops in the water vs directly in the mouth or on the nose.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Greysmom, what is this inward sneezing? I think that Josey does it. It's hard to describe other than a quick succession of loud huffing snuffing noises, and I can't just make her do it for the vet, so he has not come up with an answer. But the adoption group I got her from had seen her do it and they said it was no big deal. It's just sort of freaky. She will usually do it when shes excited for a treat but I have seen her do it for no reason. Sometimes once or twice a day, and sometimes I don't see it for a few days.

Rescue Remedy will help this?

Inward sneezing is more like spasmodic snoring - when Dude does it he does a short snore many times one right after the other - snore snore snore snore snore - about like you would read that, but he can do it A LOT! I asked here on the board and somebody suggested giving him a couple drops of RR when he starts. We did this and it does really stop the "attack."

Most vets and greyhound people I've talked to about it say it's no big deal. But Dude does it so often he can't catch his breath and it's very disturbing. The RR has been a godsend!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest IGmom4now

I use it on my guys when we're on a long trip in the car -- keeps the whining (IGs) and restlessness to a bare minimum. Don't worry about overdosing. However, using straight-up it's about 30% alcohol, so proceed accordingly!

• 3 months later...
Guest rubysdad
We picked up some RR to give to Dude when he has his attacks of inward sneezing. Someone suggested that was what they did and it really works for him.

My question has to do with using it for Cash's anxiety attacks (for want of a better word for complete spook-out!). She is on alprazolam (generic Xanax) 3 times a day, but occasionally she has a "break out." So instead of giving her more alprazolam, I started giving her a couple drops of RR. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it really worked! It takes affect very fast (faster than the drugs), and seems to be more calming without being sedating.

But I can't find out how often she can use it or an appropriate dosage. Two drops (basically I fill the little provided dropper up to where the nozzle bends, if that makes sense), two drops seem to work most often, though I have wanted several times to give her another dose later in the day. I have no idea if that is safe for her, or if there is any interaction with her Rx. The info that came in the box is for people and not very enlightening even for that.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

What is rescue remedy and where do I get it?