New Greyhound - Constipation / Behavior

Our first greyhound ever arrived yeaterday to his new forever home.

He has not had a bowel movement since his arrival. We assume that his last BM was yesterday morning before he was brought to us. Otherwise, he seems to be adjusting well and has made himself completely at home. As I write this, he is contently sleeping in front of the TV and has been playful all day. He does not seem to feel bad as far as we can tell.

He is on the same dry food he was eating at the foster home so it shouldn't be a change in food. We realze that he has had to make a lot of adjustments in the last day, but are worried about the length of time without the bowel movement. We will be calling the vet in the morning if there is no success tonight at bedtime.

Any suggestions and is this normal in a new surrounding or the brutally cold outdoor temperatures as we have had here in Illinois the last few days?

Thanks

Don

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am in IN and I have one who does not want to potty in this weather.

My very first boy Vinnie didn't poop for a few days afer he came to us. He wasn't eating much and was very nervous. In fact, I had to walk him to get him to go.

We have walked and walked and walked, as well as tried to have him create a spot in the back yard. Today we walked all over the neighborhood and he relieved his bladder at every stop sign - so at least that's ok.

He is not nervous, but came from a foster home with other Greys - so he might be missing his buddies. He was just roaching in the floor and woke himself up when he fell over, so I think he's already comfortable being here.

Thanks for letting us know about Vinnie - at least this isn't unique when coming to a new home.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I had one foster who was so tense from his ride on the hauler that he was constipated. I fed him pumpkin with his kibble and walked and walked and walked him. He finally went, poor boy. I could tell he was uncomfortable and was almost to the point of taking him to the vet, when he finally pooped.

He should be OK, but do call the vet if there's no success by the morning. He might be missing his bathroom buddies - mine always seem to pee separately but poop together. He might still be adjusting to the house change. Or he just may not like pooping in the cold (I have one of those too).

Hope everything comes out all right!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the replies. He just went on another long walk without success, so we will try again early in the morning and call the vet if no success. He is also going to get a little bit of pumpkin with breakfast.

All other systems are ok including his Greyhound Gas Delivery System. :fart

Again - thanks for the replies.

Guest nerak254

Aruba took 3 days to poop when she came here to live. She'd never had to go on a leash before and she held it until she just couldn't and we never had a problem after that.

All other systems are ok including his Greyhound Gas Delivery System. :fart

:lol Sense of humour intact, I see! :lol

If he's content - which he seems to be, since he's roaching already - and otherwise acting normally, I wouldn't worry too much. Try to make sure he's drinking plenty though, that will help if he's truly constipated. The gas would suggest his bowel is still motile enough, anyway!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Maybe he isn't used to pottying on a lead. Could you maybe fasten two leads together to give him chance to move further away from you and see if that helps. Sometimes dogs seem to be shy and don't like to go too close to their owners.

Will try the two leads on the next walk. We have a good solid leash with a carabiner that screws down into place that we can attach to his other leash and make a long sturdy leash.

2 walks during the night because he was really fussing and still a no go. Hopefully he will go before the rain and ice start pouring down here today. It is suppsed to warm up a little more the rest of the week, so hopefully the fence man can come and put in his turnout area behind the house. We want him to have his own space where a leash isn't necessary.

He has become very gassy, so we will keep trying frequently this morning.

Thanks for all of the replies.

SUCCESS!!!

He finally went a little while ago. He was whining in his crate again and was taken outside and had a succesful poop. When he came back in, we found that he had actually started to go in his crate which explains all the fuss when it actually came time to go. He seems upset about going in the crate. His crate pad and blankets are in the washer, so our new boy Rocket is snuggled on a dog bed under lots of blankets and is sound asleep. I think he feels much better now.

Thanks for everyone's help. We love Greytalk and have actually been reading for months prior to his arrival. Happy Holidays to all.

:yay :yay Oh that is good news. I'm sure he feels much better and so do you, free now from worry. Have a wonderful Holiday!

BTW :welcome2 to Greytalk! (Sorry I forgot to say that earlier.)

Edited by laceyj

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

One thing, you forgot the rules about pictures! where is a pic? Here are my two bookends (I never miss an opportunity to post pics of my little houndies):

my big boy Bart (Jr B's Bartman):

noseleftside-1.jpg

my little girl Olive (Whatup AP):

whatupap3.jpg

One thing, you forgot the rules about pictures! where is a pic?

We are working on the pictures. My wife tried to post one above (Username MYCutie) but it appears to be having a problem. We will have pictures up as soon as we get the problem resolved.

Let's try that photo link thing again. Here is pooped puppy (which looks a lot like he does at this exact moment). With the ice storm outside, I think we all wish we could curl up with some blankies.

PC230098.jpg

(The original picture shows up when I log in but not from other computers. Learning. . . . )

Love that roaching pic! I missed this thread somehow so I read all the posts at once just now. Glad he pooped and all is well with the world :)

Welcome to GT! :welcome

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Welcome! :welcome Glad everything came out all right! :hehe Love the pics - whew! That kinda pressure can really wear a guy out, don't ya know!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead