Here We Go Again

Guest ss556

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Susan- Iwould bring him tonight. She is in tonight till 9. if you go after 8, it will be an emergecy visit.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I just spoke to Dr. Longo. She said that if he is knuckling, it sounds like it's neurological and he may have hurt his neck - disc bulge or something like that. He cannot get pain meds other than the 1/2 baby aspirin. They cannot do xrays tonight and if I bring him there he will have to stay. She said I can keep him home tonight and maybe with 12 hrs. of rest he will be better in the morning or he has to be seen. I'm scared. He's hurting and cannot get up. How will he pee? How did this happen? Why??

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for Alan and for you. A heavy blanket, doubled over will help you and your husband to lift him and get him to the car. It does sound like a vet visit is in order. It is so icy here I can see where he would be having trouble walking outside.

I've got some suggestions on how to move your dog but, they are really out there so please take them with a grain of salt.

1. use a few blankets with pieces of plywood (watch for splinters) and you can wrap the dog in blankets and either pull the blankets along the plywood or pull the plywood with the dog wrapped in blankets on it. You can use this going up and down stairs and into and out of a car.

2. use a large suitcase with wheels or a duffle bag with wheels and plywood and you can put blankets in the suitcase and the dog can nestle inside (of course you are NOT going to shut the suitcase) and you can roll it on the plywood.

3. If you have a dolly that can convert to a flatbed, you can put a dogbed on it and roll it.

4. If you have a big enough garbage barrel that has wheels (please wash first), wrap dog in blankets and slip inside. You would need to be real careful with this one and probably not angle the barrel more than 30% because you do not want to dog to get more nervous than he already would be.

Again, these suggestions are really out there and you have to use extra care and diligence with any of them. Pros and cons from others are appreciated.

I have used the first one myself years ago when the VET released my German Shephard (100 pounds+) too early after anesthesia and he couldn't walk (or stand up). I never had much luck with the slings ....

I just spoke to Dr. Longo. She said that if he is knuckling, it sounds like it's neurological and he may have hurt his neck - disc bulge or something like that. He cannot get pain meds other than the 1/2 baby aspirin. They cannot do xrays tonight and if I bring him there he will have to stay. She said I can keep him home tonight and maybe with 12 hrs. of rest he will be better in the morning or he has to be seen. I'm scared. He's hurting and cannot get up. How will he pee? How did this happen? Why??

take a deep breath. Remember last week, Polli was in BAD shape- also buckling and it too was neurological. With just one 75mg deramaxx a day and complete rest, she is (KNOCK WOOD) doing so much better. Now, I know you can not give the deramaxx, but certainly, there has to be something he can take to help him. Can you run by the office and pick something up to start him on something.

ETA- deramaxx is not a pain med, it's an antimflamatory. Tramadol is a pain med.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

If I were you I would let him rest until the vet visit tomorrow. You don't want to jar his neck or anything else.

I would put old towels layered under his bottom so when he has to go he can go on them without moving. Replace with dry clean towels when he does go so he stays comfortable.

Hopefully you can get him to the vet by way of what others have said here. If the vet tech can not come to help you and they are close by ask to borrow their stretcher. Their stretcher will have straps to put around him so he can't hop off if he gets scared when lifted.

:hope for Alan. :grouphug for you.

Edited by Fudge

Both vets said the same thing - give another 1/2 of a baby aspirin. He can take tramadol but when he took it in the past he was dizzy and he fell on the deck steps. I don't have any tramadol in the house. "there's a 90% chance that giving him an NSAID while he has been on baby aspirin will produce an ulcer/hole in his stomach". He would have to be off aspirin for at least 5 days. I will be moving a twin size mattress next to him soon and will be sleeping with my baby. Please say prayers for him, he needs them and I do too. Dr. Longo also said she doesn't recommend moving him/transporting him more than is necessary, so I will keep him home tonight and have him seen tomorrow, unless he gets worse. I'm still concerned about him not being able to pee.

Can you get him off the aspirin? Is your DH home to help lift his hind end with a sheet? Poor boy, my heart breaks for him. He is in good hands. Keep water to a minimun. When was the last time he was out? If you can get him out one more time for tonight, you'll be in good shape. use a sheet and go SLOW.

Easier said than done, but try not to freak in front of him. I'm sure this is upsetting enough for him.

What time are you going in to see her tomorrow? I think she comes in at 2pm but Friedman (EXCELLENT dr) might be in in the morning. Make an appoitment now so he can be seen. Friedman is only there a very short time.

I have tramadol if you want. it will make him more comfortable. I can meet you 1/2 way. Merrick diner?

Edited by RobinM

Another suggestion for moving your dog -- call your town's Animal Control Officer, they will sometimes come out and help you move your dog (or even take it to the vet). You can also try calling the police and ask if they have any recommendations (maybe they will offer to help).

If you are totally out of other options, you might be able to call a moving company and see what they say ....

When Angel Sophia had her ruptured disc in her neck...We carefully rolled her from side to side and padded her bed with many blankets and blue pads...we had to express her bladder...eventually she had a BM in her bed...we kept her dry and clean. It is so very hard. Sending prayers and love. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest HersheysMom

Geez, I was hoping he was better by now. What's your 24 hr vet situation? If you have one, I'd probably stay with him as planned but be ready to go if he becomes restless or won't stop panting. At that point he'd be up & about anyway, and not resting it.

Trying to think of better/more helpful ideas here...

I think if he needs to pee, he will make and attempt to get up.

Only had one situation like this before when Hershey was panting and wouldn't put his foot down for hours. I thought for sure something was broken. Took him to the evet at 2AM - did xrays and everything - it was actually arthritis - I had no idea it could be so crippling.

OK- I'm sure Susan will update in a bit but the short version is that my Dh is on his way to meet her (10 minutes away) to bring some tramadol to offer some pain relief for Alan. While Susan is out, her DH and son will try to get Alan up and out to pee and then he can relax on pain meds for the rest of the night. (Alan, not her DH.)

Prayers that her Dh can sucessfully get Alan up and out safely.

OY.

Guest HersheysMom
OK- I'm sure Susan will update in a bit but the short version is that my Dh is on his way to meet her (10 minutes away) to bring some tramadol to offer some pain relief for Alan. While Susan is out, her DH and son will try to get Alan up and out to pee and then he can relax on pain meds for the rest of the night. (Alan, not her DH.)

Prayers that her Dh can sucessfully get Alan up and out safely.

OY.

Thanks for the update, Robin. Poor Susan...poor Alan. At least the Tramadol is potent and will also make him sleepy. Good that you could get that to her. :goodluck

You guys are a lifesaver Robin, I thought about fed-ex overnight to get her some Tramadol but there was no way to get it to her tonight. And Susan, just so you know, Alan could take one of the NSAID's but for only about 7-10 days and he'll be safe with his kidneys. My vet has always told me that about Misty, 7-10 days wouldn't hurt. it's long term that will affect the kidneys. And if I remember correctly his labs came back pretty good when his kidneys were last checked. I'm glad you're at least not alone there. Lots of prayers for you all and keep us posted please, if you can.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You guys are a lifesaver Robin, I thought about fed-ex overnight to get her some Tramadol but there was no way to get it to her tonight. And Susan, just so you know, Alan could take one of the NSAID's but for only about 7-10 days and he'll be safe with his kidneys. My vet has always told me that about Misty, 7-10 days wouldn't hurt. it's long term that will affect the kidneys. And if I remember correctly his labs came back pretty good when his kidneys were last checked. I'm glad you're at least not alone there. Lots of prayers for you all and keep us posted please, if you can.

Da*m- I have plenty of dermaxx and rimydal as well. But until she speok the vet, I'm sure she wouldn't have felt comfortable giving it to him.

I just hope and pray, her DH can get him up and out. Alan is a big dog.

Da*m- I have plenty of dermaxx and rimydal as well. But until she speok the vet, I'm sure she wouldn't have felt comfortable giving it to him.

I just hope and pray, her DH can get him up and out. Alan is a big dog.

I wouldn't blame her, when my vet told me, I made him repeat it 3 times asking if he was sure. I felt like a dope because I know how good he is, but I think we all need to hear it for ourselves. But Alan really should be seen to evaluate what's going on and the vet she sees will know that 7-10 days of any NSAIDs will be okay. And Alan just recently had his labs done

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless