I Think I Own The Baldest Greyhound Ever

Guest twhitehouse

Carl came to me as a bald boy (neck, chest, thighs) almost a year and a half ago, some of it grew in over the winter, then he started losing it in May and it kept falling out. He was having other issues too, sort of opaqueness on the outside corners of his corneas, so I took him in June. 2 vets and 2 veterinary opthalmologists later, we think some of the baldness and the eye issue may be thyroid related. He's hypothyroid and is now on thyroid medication, but it hasn't been long enough to see any changes - yet.

FYI, as for the heredity thought, I'm not so sure. Carl's litter mate and sister, Doodles, is a virtual Sasquatch of a greyhound.

My bald boy, Carl:

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Soon to be mine Sasquatch, Doodles:

Doodles9.jpg

Sasquatch's Fuzzy Butt:

DoodlesFuzzyButt.jpg

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I think we can definitely blame their daddy - Conor is also a red brindle. However my boy is a wee one at 64 lbs - I think his mom is to blame there (KST is 80 lbs).

Lexi is also small...only 52 lbs.

Toby is a big red brindle 80 lb moose, just like his dad! They look so alike. They even have the same smile! :)

When I saw your pictures of Lexi (who, by the way, is adorable), I thought to myself, wow, her belly and butt are as bald as Toby's belly and butt are.

Then I looked down at your sig and see that Toby and Lexi are related! Half siblings! Both Kiowa Sweet Trey babies.

We love the bald belly and butt. It's nice and warm to snuggle up against and you can make some really good raspberry sounds against their bellies when they have no hair. (I hope you guys don't think my family is weird for doing that!) :lol

Weird?? Here? We love to get Josey all worked up with raspberries on her belly. When we do it her legs start thrashing around and she air snaps! The she rolls over for more ;)

:lol :lol

Toby loves the raspberries on the belly, too!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest chaoran22

we totally do raspberries here - on the bald belly (my new girl grey) and also on the hairy belly (my boy grey) - they both love it but the raspberries turn out much better on the bald belly :)

I'm giving my 57lb girl 4000mg of fish oil a day - she's not as bald as your girl but pretty bald. I've only had her for 2.5 months so I can't tell if the hair is growing back or not but we'll see. My vet said 1000mg per 10 lbs is safe. We do 4000mg but could safely do 5000mg - I'm just afraid she'll have runny poops so I leave it at 4000mg. If you up her dosage it might help (buying the big 300 pill bottles makes it cheaper). Also some people said this product called "Hair of the Dog" works great. If we finish this whole bottle of fish oil and my girl still is bald, that's what I'm going to try next. It's fine if they're bald, but I personally just want to try all options before resigning ourselves to bald so that's what I'm doing. Hope you find something that works! and if not, she's very cute as she is :)

Maybe we need two more clubs, for bald-butt greyhounds and fuzzy-butt greyhounds respectively. My girl has way longer hair on her butt than any other part-- it sticks off in a little peak and has cute little whorls on both cheeks. It's funny what a variable part it is within the breed!

Grace and Fenway have butt mohawks too! Grace also has this random long white hairs that stick out of her sides along her ribcage. And at the same time, she has a bald spot the size of my hand on her belly. :huh

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

So we adopted Lexi in July of this year. When we got her, she was BALD.

Here are some pictures to show you though:

Her Butt:

IMG_1333.jpg

Why do you shave your greyhound's butt??? :P

I have two friends with bald butt greyhounds...and perfect strangers will ask them this all the time!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Maybe we need two more clubs, for bald-butt greyhounds and fuzzy-butt greyhounds respectively. My girl has way longer hair on her butt than any other part-- it sticks off in a little peak and has cute little whorls on both cheeks. It's funny what a variable part it is within the breed!

Grace and Fenway have butt mohawks too! Grace also has this random long white hairs that stick out of her sides along her ribcage. And at the same time, she has a bald spot the size of my hand on her belly. :huh

Butt mohawks!! Love it! :lol :lol :lol Check out the "Let's see those fuzzy butts" thread I started . . . I want pics!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest ArtysPeople

Her Butt:

IMG_1333.jpg

Why do you shave your greyhound's butt??? :P

I have two friends with bald butt greyhounds...and perfect strangers will ask them this all the time!

That reminds me . . . a few months ago, I was in a pet store with Arty, and this little kid in line in front of me runs around behind me to look at Arty's butt, then yells out, "Hey, mom, this one has fur on his butt!!!" :lol Turns out they had a bare-but grey of their own at home. :lol

This isn't BTS, these are greyhounds with Brazilians. LOL

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Dude is bare on his lower half as well. His butt, tummy, chest, and neck are all smooth as a baby's butt! He was on thyroid meds when we got him - back when BTS was considered enough to diagnose hyperthyroid issues - but interestingly, he's grown a bit of hair back on his thighs since we took him off.

greysmom :D

PeeEss - He LUBS his belly rasberries too!

:D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest ArtysPeople

OK, guys, I want you to know that it's entirely your fault that I started giving Arty raspberries last night. Didn't work so well on his hairy tummy, but we both really enjoyed them in his nude front armpits! :rofl

Guest SoulsMom
OK, guys, I want you to know that it's entirely your fault that I started giving Arty raspberries last night. Didn't work so well on his hairy tummy, but we both really enjoyed them in his nude front armpits! :rofl

I tried it on Soul too! He lifted his head and looked at me like I had finally lost my mind :lol

Guest LokisMom

Doh! I totally missed the context of this at first and was trying to figure out why you were shoving berries into your dog's armpits!

Peaches came to me with a fuzzy butt. Over the course of a year her butt became bare and her hair really started thinning. We did the whole thyroid panel and started her on medication. After 90 days we redid the panel and she does have a deficiency. After just a couple of months on the thyroid meds she has a fuzzy butt again!

My first vet said her thyroid was low but she didn't exhibit other symptoms (I begged to differ with him, she was very lethargic). He did not want to do the further testing. I changed vets and now go to the vet our adoption group uses. Much better results and she is definitely more active too!

Doh! I totally missed the context of this at first and was trying to figure out why you were shoving berries into your dog's armpits!

OK, that totally made me fall out of my chair! The visual! :blink::lol:lol:lol

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

OK, that totally made me fall out of my chair! The visual! :blink::lol:lol:lol

I just want to say that if people didn't already think greyhound people were crazy, reading this entire thread would truly convince them that we were stark raving mad!! I doubt there are any poodle or cocker spaniel websites devoted to bald butts, hairy butts, butt mohawks, greyhounds with brazilian waxes, and best of all, raspberries on bald bellies. And here I thought my family were the only ones to raspberry their hound's bald belly! :lol

:rotfl :rotfl at the thought of shoving berries into the poor dog's armpits!!

Edited by fsugrad

Guest ArtysPeople

:rotfl That made me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes. :rotfl

Edited by ArtysPeople

We love the bald belly and butt. It's nice and warm to snuggle up against and you can make some really good raspberry sounds against their bellies when they have no hair. (I hope you guys don't think my family is weird for doing that!) :lol

OMG, my husband does that. He thinks it's hilarious that the dogs give absolutely no response whatsoever! I agree it doesn't work as well when they have fur!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bald dog. Hobbes has no hair on his butt, belly or neck. No matter what supplements I give him I see no new hair growth. I do have to agree though, it's perfect for raspberries and kissing.

Hobbesnewnecklace042-1.jpg

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest CarriesMom

:gh_bow

My girl had a very thin coat and a bald but, but my vet recomended Safflower Oil, which is pure Vitamin E oil. Now her coat is just gorgeous and her but is not bald anymore.

However, even now...she doesn't have much hair. She grew a tiny bit back on her butt. But she is still hairless on her neck, chest, stomach, inside front and back legs, butt and thighs. Also, the hair that she does have is a very thin coat compared to the other greyhounds I know. Whenever, we go to our weekly meet up so she can run with other hounds people always say she is the baldest greyhound they've ever seen. I've given her fish oil and it helped grow a little hair back on her butt like I mentioned and that's it.

Why is my girl so bald? Is there something more I can do that isn't going to break the bank? Could there be something else causing it besides just bald thigh syndrome? The vet didn't seem very concerned and just said it was BTS.

I'm probably just an overly worried mom!

Her Butt:

IMG_1333.jpg

Neck and Chest:

IMG_1672.jpg

Stomach:

IMG_1529.jpg

Guest SoulsMom
My Rhemo has a bald butt and a bald tummy, but, strangely enough, his, um, --change purse-- is really, really hairy! :lol:blink::lol

Same here! I've always wondered why that is :unsure

Here is my Monkey butt:

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

Guest kaotic1

That could be a problem because Sam has one bald cheek and one fuzzy cheek... which club could he join? Or would he be in a club of one?