Je T'aime, My Beloved Angel

Guest HighMaintenance

Guest HighMaintenance

I just wanted everyone to know that my sweet baby boy, Je t'aime passed over the Rainbow Bridge Sunday morning at 8:39 am. We took him to the emergency vet on Saturday morning at 4 am after he started to pant, became weak, shivering, and attempted to vomit. We thought it was a GI disturbance.

They did an exam (he had a high fever), x-rays, blood work. The x-rays showed some odd things, but they didn't know exactly what was wrong, at about 7 am, we were about to discharge him and take him into his vet when they opened at 8:30 am to run some more tests when all of a sudden, he started developing bruises all over his body. They then ran a full blood panel and smears and it showed his platelets were low (137,000). They suggested hospitalization and aggressive steroids and sedation. They believed it was some sort of immune system crisis (which is the reason for the low platelets). At noon on Saturday, he began a platelet and plasma transfusion. When they retested him, his platelets had dropped even more (85,000). At 10 pm when we talked to the vet, they said he looking/acting getting better. We wouldn't know for 2-3 days if his body would react positively to the platelets that he was given. His temperature had gone down a bit, his bruising was getting better and no new ones were developing, and he was up moving around and acting snuggly with the staff. They fell in love with him immediately. They also said that it wasn't a crisis. I thought he was going to pull through.

Then, we got a call from the vet Sunday morning at 4 am saying that he'd developed DIC (Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation) long name for a clotting disorder that was happening all over his body, pretty much causing internal bleeding and organ failure and he had developed an arrhythmia. We rushed there to be with him. We spent 4 wonderful, precious hours with him - my sister, my boyfriend Ray, my parents, and I. We even got a chance, my sister and I (we live together) to take him outside for one last walk in the snow. He had his jammies on, so he was warm. I knew it was time when he got up, even in his weakened state, before our walk outside and walked around the room and leaned on each person and said his "good-byes". He stared into my eyes, several times during that 4 hours and asked me to let him go. When his breathing become more strained and his heart rate was so erratic, I knew it was time. It was peaceful and I was behind him, spooning him nuzzling me face in his warm, soft neck.

I know that in the end, I did everything I could. From the time HE rescued ME, he had so many health problems and I feel that I gave him the best care that I could. He saw the best doctors, got the best treatment, but in the end, he just wanted to run free with all the other animals in heaven and await my arrival one day. This isn't to pat myself on the back, it's simply me not having any regrets. He had the most amazing life in the 3 short years that he blessed me with his endearing presence. At the end, I told him over and over, what a good boy he was, how much I loved him, and that I'd be seeing him soon.

I'm so grateful for the trip we took - just him and I, in August. We had 11 days of wonderful adventure and laughs. Those memories will keep me company when it hurts the worst. Friday, the day before he went into the emergency vet, he went to daycare, one of his favorite activity. The staff loved him there and he was jumping around and he didn't even know I was there when I was paying for the day! Typical Je t'aime :)

I am also so grateful to GReAT (Greyhound Rescue Adoption Team) for affording me the opportunity to love Je t'aime (Racing Name, "WP's Weatherman"). Thank you to Laurel for placing Je t'aime with me and Judi for giving him wonderful foster care and being there for me at all hours of the day and night this past few days. I'm also thankful to Greytalk to everyone that for the few years that I had him, provided me with such wonderful support and information with many of his health issues. I'm also so grateful to everyone who loved him. Too many people and animals to count here. Je t'aime knew everyone loved him. I'm sure of that.

He was a wonderful therapy dog. Every Tuesday night, my sister or I alternated weeks, would go to the psychiatric hospital. The staff and patients adored him. He made them so happy. I said to everyone Sunday morning as he was leaving us, that he wanted me to tell them that they should stop crying. He is a therapy dog and he's supposed to make everyone happy, not sad. He was my personal therapy.

I decided to have him privately cremated and I will scatter his ashes at the Chestnut Ridge Park where he loved to hike on the trails. We were just there, for a hike and he was bounding through the snow.

He had many names - Je t’aime, Oh Je t’aime, Sweet Cheeks, Honey Bear, Honey Bear Poo-Poo Face, Piglet, Mister, Mr. Tootie, Foo Foo Head, Snookums, Boo, Boo Boo, J.T., Snoop, Snooppie D, Big Guy, B.O.B., Bones, Buddy, Good Boy, Bad Boy, Stinky, Little Bastard, Crazy Boy, Liver Lips, Sunshine, but no matter what he was called he will always be remembered as a wonderful dog, friend, hiking, and camping buddy!

Thank you all so much for your support and prayers. He is at peace now with all those that have passed over the Rainbow Bridge. I know they will all take such good care of him and help him learn the "ropes". He will eat eggs, hot dogs, ice cream and run and play with all the other dogs - permanently off-leash! Until I am reunited again with you some day, Je t'aime, I love you. :gh_run2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for your loss. :f_white

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The blessing of his life will always be with you.

[gallery_4177_3286_2416.jpg Neighbor Mike

Inspired by Beloved Angels Danny & Mick

Custom Quilted Coats, Wallhangings & MORE

"From there to here, From here to there, Funny things are everywhere.

Especially with a greyhound in your life!

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

I am so so sorry. It's amazing what wonderful friends they make. He knows how much you loved him, and he will be watching you until it's time to be together again. :grouphug :grouphug

Run free sweet Je T'aime :gh_run

f_yellow

Guest HighMaintenance

Thank you all, so very much, for reading my tribute to my best friend. I can't believe how short his life was, but he packed in so much in the 3 years I had him. He taught me so much about life and enjoying every second you had. He is my angel now.

I am so sorry. Know that your sweet and precious Angel is running and playing in good company at the Bridge with all of our Angels. My sympathy and prayers...I know how much it hurts. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry about your sweet boy. Be assured that he will have lots of friends at the bridge -- including Spiff! Your remembrance of him is so touching - I can really tell that he made a very positive impression on your life.

:f_white :f_white :f_white

Guest HighMaintenance
I think I had the honor of meeting Je t'aime. :grouphug:f_red:f_red

Where? When? Possibly at the BGH picnic this summer? He was a black greyhound with a VERY long nose and overbite. :)

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Your special boy left much too soon.

Godspeed Je t'aime.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest HighMaintenance
I'm so very sorry :grouphug What a very special hound who touched many lives.

God speed, Je t'aime...

And, I'm so sorry for your loss of Grandpa on Thursday. I know that Je t'aime and Grandpa are playing together right now...

What a wonderful tribute for a wonderful dog. Both of you were blessed to have found one another. God speed, Je T'aime

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest HighMaintenance
Hope I can do this in between the tears that are falling now. I haven't told Cofax yet that the first pup to catch her heart when we moved to NY is gone. We were so looking forward to more time and walks together. And I just realized why they got along so well........... they shared a relative - Unruly....... http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=FLNjbL&a...&birthland=

and so also with my Lambie Pie whom I lost 5 years ago tomorrow.

http://memorial.paulmcbride.com/mainmenu.html when you are ready.

Please call me sometime........

Run free handsome.......... Cofax and I will miss you lots. Thank you for welcoming us back to NY.

Thanks, Tina. I will look at the links soon. How amazing.

I was going to call you on Tuesday (sorry, meant Saturday night) b/c what was happening sounded so much like Lambie Pie. I just didn't want to believe he was declining so quickly. I will call you this week. I need to see Cofax soon. I miss him so much. I feel like I'm dying. He was only 5, Tina!

Edited by HighMaintenance

Guest winli02

I think I MAY have met you guys at an SPCA party. I also went to a few GReAT events (that's where I got Dilly). His name is so familiar so I am pretty sure I have!

I think I had the honor of meeting Je t'aime. :grouphug:f_red:f_red

Where? When? Possibly at the BGH picnic this summer? He was a black greyhound with a VERY long nose and overbite. :)