Why Do My Dogs Eat Dirt?

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

This is driving me crazy...Everytime I let the dogs out the start eating dirt! I went out with them the other day to see what they were eating (wanted to make sure it wasn't poop!) and they were digging in the dirt and then eating it. My 3 dogs do this but the foster dogs have not started doing this. Someone told me that they are missing nutrients in their diet and that is why they are doing this. Is that true?

ETA...I live in new england so it isn't even like the ground is easy to dig right now. :lol

Edited by houndlover

Guest MnMDogs

I hope someone has the answer! Mork is our dirt eater, and the lawn is looking a little ridiculous right now. Neither Mara nor Matty partake, and they all eat the same thing. I looked this up recently online, and it said that if the diet is high quality, it's most likely behavioral. But I don't know 100% that's the case. I just wish I knew how to fix it...if you find out, please let me know!

Me too! My 4 are making me crazy between the dirt eating and the poop eating!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

1. It tastes good.

2. They feel like it.

3. They don't have anything better to do.

4. See 1-3 above.

:)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pharaoh used to eat dirt along time ago. My Grandpa told me he was trying to get salt. (We lived down at the beach at the time)... I don't really know if that was why he was eating dirt though. But what I really wonder is WHY did he eat a slug, only to puke it up whole later? :lol

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

Guest houndlover
1. It tastes good.

2. They feel like it.

4. See 1-3 above.

:lol:lol:lol

But what I really wonder is WHY did he eat a slug, only to puke it up whole later? :lol

:puke

Guest garysgreys

I have one that eats poop, one that eats dirt, and all three eat cats !!! I have muzzle poop guards on the dirt and poop eaters (Ya might know they're girls !!!) and a regular muzzle on My male and I just cut Em' loose in the back yard and let them take care of business.

Maddie eats poop and dirt- I have tried the muzzle on her- but she comes in with it smelling like poop. so I try and catch her in the act and then throw balls over to her head to distract her and then grab her collar before she can go back to eating the poop and or dirt. I have so many holes in my backyard from my resident landscaper. Go figure.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest dwolfe711

Ellie eats dirt/mud and digs little holes all over the yard - she likes it fresh!! Allie will sometimes also eat dirt. Allie and Apollo eat poop - frozen or not. Ripley eats bunny turds!! Putting muzzles on them with or without poop guards does not help - they just try to eat it through the muzzle and then come and rub on my coat or pants to try to get the muzzle off - now I am covered with dirt/mud, gh poop and/or bunny turd poop!! We try to keep the poop picked up so there is none to eat - but if there is one little turd in the yard we missed - they will find it!!

Donna

This time of year, mine eat dirt and tree bark :blink: It must taste good in the fall. I've asked several vets about it and they've all said that it's behavioral. Once I even went so far as to have Ace tested for any vitamin deficiencies because she was the main culprit. Nothing wrong with her at all (except she's a dork!)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

1. It tastes good.

2. They feel like it.

4. See 1-3 above.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Hey, better earth than poop! No names.. :angry::rolleyes:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

1. It tastes good.

2. They feel like it.

4. See 1-3 above.

And.... because they can!!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest trevdog

Puppy Dallas lived on dirt, vet set it was perfectly normal and to expect it, amongst other oddities to expect from a grey puppy. DH wanted to name her "Joe Dirt" she ate so much of it....thankfully she outgrew that phase. Now at 2 1/2, she grazes grass and other animal poo.....what a wierd pup she is...blech.

So anyhow, I guess it's normal for them to eat all this wierd stuff.

Edited by trevdog

Spiff likes to eat the dirt off the top of the mole hills in our yard... :rolleyes:

I could understand the time he was eating dirt from the location of a turkey frying spill... :D

Guest Ladyluther

I love this topic!!! Been wanting to ask this same questions for the past 6 months..Luther is 15+ and recently discovered the joys of dirt (with a poo chaser!). He only eats the dirt in his yard - maybe because he's not walking then. He really likes to dig up the moss and eat that too along with the dirt under neath.

I normally wouldn't get so crazy about it, but Luther is 2 + years post tie back surgery for Laryngeal Paralysis with no case of aspiration pneumonia..biskies and crumbs (aka dirt) are a huge no-no..so he needs a personal care attendant when out in his yard..I hate to muzzel him at this stage in his life.

I love reading the posts on this topic...thanks everyone.

Martha and Luther in MA -

Guest houndlover
i had a dog once that would only eat frozen poop. I guess he didn't like em mushy..only liked poopsicles....lol

:lol:lol but still gross. :P

They're getting coal and this 32512_gif.jpg for Christmas!

I love it!!! Are you going to put it on their collars?

Guest ProudGreyMom

Jake eats poop, dirt, mud, and grass.

Andy eats dirt and grass.

Molly eats poop, woodchips, dirt and grass.

Makes me insane!!!! And the more dirt they get down, the more they have to poop! I think now that the grass is gone they have switched to the dirt eating.