Good Bye Old Man

smday

I had to put my old horse down today. He had a bad injury to his right front leg about 6 years ago. For horse people, he snapped his right front superficial flexor tendon in half. Against the odds, he recovered well although I retired him at that point. He got along well for quite some time but developed arthritis in the injured area. The pain had become unmanageable in the last few weeks so, after consulting with my vet, I decided to do the responsible thing.

While I have had to euthanize a few horses over the years this one was particularly difficult. He was my first horse and I have owned him for over 26 years. He was 34 months old when I got him and he was a gift from my parent for my 25th birthday. I had bugged them for a horse since I was a small child but it really wasn't practical until I was out on my own. I know I was really lucky to have him for so long.

How we didn't kill each other in the early years, I will never know. Probably he had more good sense than I did! He was a super jumping horse and went on to be a really good combined training horse winning many preliminary level events. That means he really liked galloping over large solid jumps at speed. I started his training but dressage is more my thing so others competed him at the higher levels. He was a heck of a show jumper too. In fact, I never found a jump he couldn't clear. As a 6 or 7 year old, he was in a clinic with a jumper trainer who wanted to find out his scope. he easily cleared a 6' high and 6' wide jump. I liked to jump him because there was never any doubt that he was going over the fence. He took really good care of me. Of course, I limited my jumping to about 3'6" and he was careful not to jump too hard. I only fell of of him once and that was because he fell.

As he got older, I leased him to teenage girls. He taught them to ride and carried them successfully through many competitions. He was used for Equine Therapy as well. He was very sweet yet tough at the same time. He made horrible threatening faces when you went to feed him but it was all a big bluff. He wouldn't hurt anyone.

He spent his last several years at the farm of a lovely family who took impeccable care of him. He is now buried on their farm. I guess he is across the bridge running and jumping again on 4 good legs. I miss him so much but he will always be a part of me.

Edited by smday

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

Guest p51crazyhorse

Your sweet boy sounds a lot like mine, that grumpy feed me look is classic CrackerJack!

I am so glad your boy had such a wonderful happy long life and the you did the right thing when he was ready, I respect that very much.

CrackerJack was born July 1, 1980 and is one year older than me. he is getting rusty and has to have his feed made into a mush so he doesnt choke but he is a blessing and I would do anything for him, though I have only had him 3 years, he was my first horse and has been a great one.

Bay Rum, I can only imagine how magnificent you were in the day when you could jump so spendidly, you were truly blesssed to be surrounded your entire life by people who loved you. CrackerJack hasnt been so lucky until now. You took great care of the people who rode you and taught so greatly. Run free and please, when the day comes that my dear boy has to leave this earth, will you be there to meet him? You both sound so similar, I think you would find him to be a good friend.....

What a life he had with you!

I'm sorry he had to leave.

Godspeed, incredible fellow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

I am sorry for your loss...I too have bugged my parents for a horse since they got rid of my first one at the age of 9. To this day, anytime someone asks me what I want for x-mas or a birthday, I say "A horse"...and I am now 35.

Horses are magical. Gallop fast and free Bay Rum. You were a great boy. :f_white

f_yellow I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I grew up with horses. They are so amazing. What a lucky horse to have had such a long, wonderful life with you! I am sorry his pain was no longer controllable. He is now running and jumping pain free!

I am so sorry for your loss of Bay Rum. Cherish all those wonderful memories.

The Girls